OT Denton Simek

however that transition class of OL decommits in 2008 really hurt the O-Line depth and rotation IMO.

:yeah

I could not agree more Cave. If we had Hoch, Robinson and Givens on the roster this year our OL would have been much better. We would have been able to actually run our offense instead of dumming it down.

I don't think OL is a position of need anymore. Some serious heavy hitters in next year's class, plus Yoshi Hardwick as a JUCO, plus all those promising guys redshirting this year...I mean, there's still another top-rate OL we could be getting next year, right?

Yoshi has little to do with the number of freshman OL we take. He'll be counted on the next two seasons while the frosh will be counted on three to five years down the line.

Similarly, I wouldn't count on future classes to make up for a short OL class. You need consistent depth of OL to account for how hard it is to project success for linemen, along with injuries and the fact that they usually need one to three years on campus before they're truly ready to go. We also don't know for certain that we'll have a killer OL class next year, though we do seem to be off to a good start.

Yep, getting another Fr. OL Recruit would not hurt at all. Look at the returning 2-Deep O-Line for the Huskers. NU loses 3 of the 9 players listed in Hickman, Meyer, and Christensen, though they do return 4 starters. However of those 4 returning starters and 2 back ups Smith, Williams, Henry, and DJ Jones will be Seniors, leaves only Marcel Jones and Caputo who will both be Juniors. That means going into 2011, only 2 players from the current 9 on the 2-deep will be on the roster. NU needs to find 7-8 quality players to step up in 2011. Some need to start in 2010 actually. Who ever gets recruited in 2011 won't be big contributors until 2012 at the soonest since MOST O-linemen take a RS year to develop. Even if all 4 of the 2009 recruits pan out to be contributors that makes 8 total for 2011: Caputo, Marcel Jones, Ash, Sirles, Coffey, Qvale, and Hardrick (2010 JUCO). There is also no Center back up in that group. We need another 1 minimum and preferably 2 QUALITY players to fill out a 9-10 man 2-Deep in 2011, 2012 looks better however that transition class of OL decommits in 2008 really hurt the O-Line depth and rotation IMO. It is something that I think Cotton and Bo have done a great job patching up and rebuilding though. Maybe a walk on or 2 develop into good players, someone like Brian Thorson or Seung Hoon Choi, but we still need a couple of players to fill it out.

iirc, Meyer and Christensen haven't been contributing that much this year. We are basically lossing one guy from this years squad but there are four or five frosh that redshirted this year.

I don't think OL is a position of need anymore. Some serious heavy hitters in next year's class, plus Yoshi Hardwick as a JUCO, plus all those promising guys redshirting this year...I mean, there's still another top-rate OL we could be getting next year, right?

Yoshi has little to do with the number of freshman OL we take. He'll be counted on the next two seasons while the frosh will be counted on three to five years down the line.

Similarly, I wouldn't count on future classes to make up for a short OL class. You need consistent depth of OL to account for how hard it is to project success for linemen, along with injuries and the fact that they usually need one to three years on campus before they're truly ready to go. We also don't know for certain that we'll have a killer OL class next year, though we do seem to be off to a good start.

Yep, getting another Fr. OL Recruit would not hurt at all. Look at the returning 2-Deep O-Line for the Huskers. NU loses 3 of the 9 players listed in Hickman, Meyer, and Christensen, though they do return 4 starters. However of those 4 returning starters and 2 back ups Smith, Williams, Henry, and DJ Jones will be Seniors, leaves only Marcel Jones and Caputo who will both be Juniors. That means going into 2011, only 2 players from the current 9 on the 2-deep will be on the roster. NU needs to find 7-8 quality players to step up in 2011. Some need to start in 2010 actually. Who ever gets recruited in 2011 won't be big contributors until 2012 at the soonest since MOST O-linemen take a RS year to develop. Even if all 4 of the 2009 recruits pan out to be contributors that makes 8 total for 2011: Caputo, Marcel Jones, Ash, Sirles, Coffey, Qvale, and Hardrick (2010 JUCO). There is also no Center back up in that group. We need another 1 minimum and preferably 2 QUALITY players to fill out a 9-10 man 2-Deep in 2011, 2012 looks better however that transition class of OL decommits in 2008 really hurt the O-Line depth and rotation IMO. It is something that I think Cotton and Bo have done a great job patching up and rebuilding though. Maybe a walk on or 2 develop into good players, someone like Brian Thorson or Seung Hoon Choi, but we still need a couple of players to fill it out.

iirc, Meyer and Christensen haven't been contributing that much this year. We are basically lossing one guy from this years squad but there are four or five frosh that redshirted this year.

Yeah for 2010 the O-Line looks very promising, but as I pointed out the numbers really thin out after 2010 with 4 graduating. Getting another Freshman O-lineman in this class would definitely help ensure that 2011 isn't a year like 2009 where a few injuries really depletes the line's performance.

Simek hosted Cotton on Tuesday. Apparently the visit went well and he sent film home with Cotton for the other coaches to evaluate. They'll let him know in the next few days if they'll make him an offer.

i'd be stoked if we got him but wouldn't really care if we did not offer...... looks like he might have missed his chance.... but dont know for sure

Simek hosted Cotton on Tuesday. Apparently the visit went well and he sent film home with Cotton for the other coaches to evaluate. They'll let him know in the next few days if they'll make him an offer.

i'd be stoked if we got him but wouldn't really care if we did not offer...... looks like he might have missed his chance.... but dont know for sure

I'm all for snatching up as many OL recruits as possible, but the only thing that concerns me about him is he blew out his ACL this year. I'm leery of that for some reason.

Cotton's being sent around? This is interesting and the first time I have heard it.

From everything I've heard, Cotton has done quite well recruiting for the OL the last couple years. I think he's made most, if not all, of the in-home visits for the OL recruits.

Barney has actually done an excellent job recruiting the O line, bringing in a seemingly excellent stable of young talent and stockpiling some good depth for the future. Problem is, it remains to be seen whether he can coach those same kids to success. Hell, I don't think he can coach them to their full potential, but at this point, I'd settle for him coaching them to adequacy. I suppose I'll give hiim next season before judging him again, seeing as how the O line did well in the Holiday, but all it's gonna take is one false start ridden, missed blocks filled game next year for me to be busting out my "100% Fire Cotton" tee shirts.

Willie said once or twice that Cotton was recruiting wise, a disaster and was pretty much being confined to extremely local prospects. Hence my surprise. Maybe I misremember/misunderstood his comments.

I think if Barney focuses more on technique and gets away from his initial stated "screw technique, just play with intensity" philosophy a bit, we could maybe see some results. The jury is out on whether he can teach that, at least IMO; it's just that he has seemingly decided not to thus far.

Also, "100% Fire Cotton"? Hehe, nice. I almost didn't catch that :)

He is wanting a spot with us. I really dont know if there will be room.

I know it might eb wrong but we might need to look at pulling offers or asking guys to walk on. Getting depth at Oline would be huge right now.

Agreed. What about the in-state guys, Evans and Cotton? Do you think they'd still be N if were asked to walk-on? I have a strong feeling that Cotton would be. . .I think he has ties to the team :)

He is wanting a spot with us. I really dont know if there will be room.

I know it might eb wrong but we might need to look at pulling offers or asking guys to walk on. Getting depth at Oline would be huge right now.

Agreed. What about the in-state guys, Evans and Cotton? Do you think they'd still be N if were asked to walk-on? I have a strong feeling that Cotton would be. . .I think he has ties to the team :)

Ya, some distant ties im guessing :sarcasm

I think they might be interested still. I feel bad pulling an offer, but sometimes you have to in order to win.