DT Damien Jacobs

Player: Damien Jacobs

Hometown: Houma, LA

Position: DT

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 294 lbs.

40 time: 5.1

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona, Arkansas, Florida International, Florida State, Louisiana Tech, Nebraska, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Texas Tech, Tulane, Tulsa

Favorites: Arkansas, Auburn, Florida State, LSU, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Texas Tech

COMMITTED TO FSU

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

Jacobs is obviously a big kid, but his size on paper is not jaw dropping though. Yet he seems to engulf and man handle his competition at times in high school. This may mean he is bigger then listed or possibly he is not facing the greatest competition. With those two things in mind he does display the ability to be disruptive. He gets off the ball well and will flash the ability to generate some power from his lower body. He can be a tough kid to move off the ball. He does need to watch his pad level. He shows good natural strength, but can tend to play high. He is very active with his hands and is able to violently shed blockers at times even when he is not in a great position leverage wise. He does though need to be more consistent with his hands. He can be tough between the tackles and for a big man he is a fairly secure tackler. Does not quickly change directions, but when he gets moving in a straight-line towards his target he flashes a solid burst for a big boy. He can create push with a bull rush as a pass rusher. He can be active with his weapons to try and knock the blocker out of his way, but does need to channel his movements at times into more efficient pass rushing moves. Jacobs may be feasting on some lesser opponents in high school, but the kid does have good size and is active for a big man. He needs to clean up aspects of his game, but could develop into a troublesome presence in the trenches.77 on ESPN

funny assessment, "good at this, but not so good at that"......i love these non committal guys who rate these kids... :wacko:

The really good silver lining in all of that is that he was still rated pretty high on ESPN's scale at 77 and all of the "needs improvement" issues seem to be technique used which is correctable. He has good size, strength, and good quickness of feet according to the evaluation, put him with Carl and he could be a really good player.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

per Scout: Damien Jacobs focusing on five: Arkansas, FSU, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Tulsa

"I have not found too much about Nebraska yet. I have not heard too much about them either because I do not have any friends who go to school there. It is cold up there, but I do know about their head coach. He is a defensive minded coach so he should have them playing some ball in the future."

• 2 weeks later...

Scout: "Damien Jacobs says he now favors the Seminoles slightly over Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Arkansas. “The Florida State campus is really cool,” Jacobs said. “I got to meet all the coaches and they made me feel right at home. I also liked the facilities a lot. Everything there is all in one area and not spread out all over. I’m still really open though."

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he reconsiders, but it seems as though old Bobby made be shown the door soon.

"My hope is frankly that we'll go ahead, and if we have to, let the world know that this year will be the end of the Bowden era," chairman Jim Smith told the Tallahassee Democrat on Sunday. " ... I do appreciate what he's done for us, what he's done for the program, what he's done really for the state of Florida.

"I think the record will show that the Seminole Nation has been more than patient. We have been in a decline not for a year or two or three but I think we're coming up on seven or eight. I think enough is enough."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4531451