Sport.... not a sport

Not a sport and if you play, or do, these things you are not an athlete...

Poker

Spelling Bee

Baseball--That's not to say there aren't athletes playing baseball

Curling

Bowling

Anything X Games related

Horse racing

Nascar

Surfing, a sport or not?

Baseball? it has BALL in it, it has to be a sport! i don't make these rules i'm just sayin

So does BALL-room dancing..

I never considered Beisbol a sport mainly because I really sucked at it...It was more of a game (with a ball too tiny to see very well).

But you could make almost anything a sport...Heck, I won't even paint my house without a tennis racket strapped to my side (Extreme fear of bees).

Speed Golf?

Auto racing is NOT a sport. Ohhh look at me, I can sit behind the wheel and drive in a circle for hours and hours. Sometimes I sweat when I drive to the grocery store b/c it is too hot....is that a sport then?

How about curling???? It is an Olympic "sport", but I just don't see how it can be a sport....I say no.

ha you act like the NASCAR, or whatever form of auto racing, are just kicking back on cruise control. I absolutely love NASCAR, but it isn't a sport in the same way as something like football, but I can guarantee NASCAR takes a lot more out of a person physically than Baseball does.

Mowing the lawn and working on the lawn takes a lot out od you too but it thats not a sport. Auto racing might be tiring but you don't get a good work out from it. Baseball takes a lot more out of you then what you probably think. 162 games a year + practices + postseason takes a lot out of you.

Poker

Spelling Bee

Curling

Bowling

Anything X Games related

Horse racing

Nascar

Surfing, a sport or not?

Skateboarders and bicyclists aren't athletes? Surfing is X Games related, yet you ask if it's a sport or not? Snowboarding and skiing aren't either? What exactly is your definition of sport (normally the people who voice their thoughts about certain competitive mediums not being considered sports is because they don't require athletic skill, but that obviously can't be all there is to your argument..)?

Poker

Spelling Bee

Curling

Bowling

Anything X Games related

Horse racing

Nascar

Surfing, a sport or not?

Ok, curling I get. Not only is it not a sport, but it's freaking boring!

But to say BMX, snow boarding or skateboarding* aren't sports is ridiculous. Hell, motocross is ten times the sport NASCAR claims to be, and a hundred times more entertaining.

The only thing ridiculous about the X-games is the fact that ESPN has Dana Jacobson hosting them, because she obviously doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. They should just use Sal Masekela, at least he knows someones name other than Shawn White. :espnsucks:

*Skateboarding is definitely a sport. Exhibit A: Arguably the best skater in the world. (And no his name is not Tony Hawk)

I2-mxRwqHV4&feature=fvsr

Skateboarders and bicyclists aren't athletes? Surfing is X Games related, yet you ask if it's a sport or not? Snowboarding and skiing aren't either? What exactly is your definition of sport (normally the people who voice their thoughts about certain competitive mediums not being considered sports is because they don't require athletic skill, but that obviously can't be all there is to your argument..)?

My definition of a sport is something that actually takes physical skill to play. And for the record I was actually kidding about baseball. :laughpound

And no the X games participants are NOT athletes. Surfing, doing tricks on a skateboard, snowboard, or bmx bike is something that anyone, with enough practice, can do. I could practice 10 hours a day for the rest of my life and I'll never be able to play football, basketball, hockey, etc, at the college or professional level.

My definition of a sport is something that actually takes physical skill to play. And for the record I was actually kidding about baseball. :laughpound

And no the X games participants are NOT athletes. Surfing, doing tricks on a skateboard, snowboard, or bmx bike is something that anyone, with enough practice, can do. I could practice 10 hours a day for the rest of my life and I'll never be able to play football, basketball, hockey, etc, at the college or professional level.

:bs: You could practice as much as you like but you could never do this......

ILntIDLTRaY&NR=1

.....this............

Srmyba-ikuQ

....or this!

OB5c39PZFQ4

Poker

Spelling Bee

Curling

Bowling

Anything X Games related

Horse racing

Nascar

Surfing, a sport or not?

Ok, curling I get. Not only is it not a sport, but it's freaking boring!

But to say BMX, snow boarding or skateboarding* aren't sports is ridiculous. Hell, motocross is ten times the sport NASCAR claims to be, and a hundred times more entertaining.

The only thing ridiculous about the X-games is the fact that ESPN has Dana Jacobson hosting them, because she obviously doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. They should just use Sal Masekela, at least he knows someones name other than Shawn White. :espnsucks:

*Skateboarding is definitely a sport. Exhibit A: Arguably the best skater in the world. (And no his name is not Tony Hawk)

I2-mxRwqHV4&feature=fvsr

What curling is so a sport. During the 2006 winter olympics curling was one of the main things I watched. :dumdum

Yes I could. Now would I? No. No fricking way.

The bottom line is that jump on the skateboard is accomplished with gaining proper speed and elevation.

I've been snowboarding and it takes zero skill...just practice. The jump the snowboarder does, all he does is stand on the board. The wax on the bottom of the board, the incline packed with snow provides the requisite speed and all he does is go up the ramp and enjoy the ride.

Surfing. Are you seriously saying that only a select group of people can learn to surf?

Anybody with a complete lack of regard for their own physical well-being can surf, snowboard or ride a bmx bike and do the tricks these guys do...with enough practice.

No matter how much I train, practice and/or prepare I could never run a 4.3 40, dunk a basketball, etc.

To me, a sport must have these elements:

1. Significant physical activity (controlling or relying on another object that does most of the work, i.e. a car or horse, does not count) and not just a skilled movement (i.e. darts)

2. Competitive

3. Scoring is objective (no "style points"); role of luck in outcome is minimized

The first element rules out spelling bees, chess, poker, etc..

The second element weeds out things like renting a pair of ice skates and casually skating around the rink. Not a sport. (However, competitive speed skating like you see in the Olympics is definitely a sport.)

The third element weeds out activities like gymnastics, ballroom dancing, cheerleading, etc.. While there is clearly a physical component to these activities and they can certainly be competitive, there are subjective and objective elements to the scoring. Therefore, while incredibly difficult at the highest levels, gymnastics cannot be considered a true sport, because there is a subjective component (the judges) in the scoring. Gymnastics has significant elements of sport to it, but also elements of art.

The difference between a "judge" and a "referee" or "umpire" is that the former is usually being asked to make determinations on subjective elements (i.e. artistic points in figure skating), where the referee is usually being asked to make determinations on objective elements (i.e. was the ball out of bounds...the referee might make the wrong call but there is a right and wrong call unlike subjective scoring)

Auto racing: not a sport, fails the significant physical activity test (sorry NASCAR fans)

Poker: not a sport, fails the significant physical activity test and too much luck is involved...I've seen guys on TV play a hand perfectly and then lose because some fluke river card gets flipped. Sorry, that's not a sport.

Figure Skating: not a sport, fails the objective scoring test

Speed Skating: sport (fastest to the finish line wins)

Synchronized Swimming: not a sport

Horse Racing: sport from the horse's point of view, not a sport from the jockey's point of view

Bowling: I say this fails the "significant physical activity" test. Not a sport.

Golf: Close call on the significant physical activity test. I could be convinced either way.

Quarters: not a sport

Surfing: I don't know enough about how it is judged. If it is dependent on the luck of catching a good wave and there are style points involved in scoring, then no.

Ski Jumping: sport

Snowboarding: Doesn't this involve style points? Skill yes, sport no.

Pole Vault: sport (in fact, I'd say most track and field events are about as true sports as you can get, along with weight lifting)

Skateboarding: Are there subjective "style" points in scoring? If so, not a sport.

A good rule of thumb is the "old guy" or the "out of shape guy" test. If an old guy (or out of shape guy) could reasonably compete at a high level in an event, there is not as significant a physical element as would be required to call it a sport. See bowling and golf. Bowling probably more so than golf.

1. Significant physical activity (controlling another object that does most of the work, i.e. a car or horse, does not count) and not just a skilled movement (i.e. darts)

2. Competitive

3. Scoring is objective (no "style points"); role of luck in outcome is minimized

***SNIP***

Golf: Close call on the significant physical activity test. I could be convinced either way.

***SNIP***

Bull riding? You are not controlling the horse and as close as golf on physical activity test.

EDIT: OK you ride a bull in bull riding. DUH

Yes I could. Now would I? No. No fricking way.

The bottom line is that jump on the skateboard is accomplished with gaining proper speed and elevation.

I've been snowboarding and it takes zero skill...just practice. The jump the snowboarder does, all he does is stand on the board. The wax on the bottom of the board, the incline packed with snow provides the requisite speed and all he does is go up the ramp and enjoy the ride.

Surfing. Are you seriously saying that only a select group of people can learn to surf?

Anybody with a complete lack of regard for their own physical well-being can surf, snowboard or ride a bmx bike and do the tricks these guys do...with enough practice.

No matter how much I train, practice and/or prepare I could never run a 4.3 40, dunk a basketball, etc.

Ignoring your argument that you could do all the same maneuvers as any action sports "athlete", using your same logic no matter how much you train, practice and/or prepare you could never win a highest air competition either, nor could you get first place in a BMX race, etc.

1. Significant physical activity (controlling another object that does most of the work, i.e. a car or horse, does not count) and not just a skilled movement (i.e. darts)

2. Competitive

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

Bull riding? You are not controlling the horse and as close as golf on physical activity test.

No to bull riding, and I have clarified the physical activity accordingly. Plus, isn't the score partially dependent on the effort of the bull, which is somewhat subjective? That kills the scoring part, too.

Skill: yes

Difficult: yes

Crazy: yes

Sport: no

2. Competitive

The second element weeds out things like renting a pair of ice skates and casually skating around the rink. Not a sport. (However, competitive speed skating like you see in the Olympics is definitely a sport.)

The third element weeds out activities like gymnastics, ballroom dancing, cheerleading, etc.. While there is clearly a physical component to these activities and they can certainly be competitive, there are subjective and objective elements to the scoring. Therefore, while incredibly difficult at the highest levels, gymnastics cannot be considered a true sport, because there is a subjective component (the judges) in the scoring. Gymnastics has significant elements of sport to it, but also elements of art.

The difference between a "judge" and a "referee" or "umpire" is that the former is usually being asked to make determinations on subjective elements (i.e. artistic points in figure skating), where the referee is usually being asked to make determinations on objective elements (i.e. was the ball out of bounds...the referee might make the wrong call but there is a right and wrong call unlike subjective scoring)

Auto racing: not a sport, fails the significant physical activity test (sorry NASCAR fans)

Poker: not a sport, fails the significant physical activity test and too much luck is involved...I've seen guys on TV play a hand perfectly and then lose because some fluke river card gets flipped. Sorry, that's not a sport.

Horse Racing: sport from the horse's point of view, not a sport from the jockey's point of view

Bowling: I say this fails the "significant physical activity" test. Not a sport.

Surfing: I don't know enough about how it is judged. If it is dependent on the luck of catching a good wave and there are style points involved in scoring, then no.

Pole Vault: sport (in fact, I'd say most track and field events are about as true sports as you can get, along with weight lifting)

Skateboarding: Are there subjective "style" points in scoring? If so, not a sport.

I gotta say, you are completely off on saying that gymnastics is not a sport! I would like to see you go out there and do some of the skills they do....I am sure you would look quite silly. Judges and artistic moves should not rule it out as being a sport. I would imagine that diving is not a sport to you then as well? How can ski jumping be a sport then? They have to stay in a straight position and land accordingly in order to get the score....THEY ARE BEING JUDGED, so you contradict yourself on this one.

The others I would have to agree with you....it is such a fine line and people have their favorites.

2. Competitive

I gotta say, you are completely off on saying that gymnastics is not a sport! I would like to see you go out there and do some of the skills they do....I am sure you would look quite silly. Judges and artistic moves should not rule it out as being a sport. I would imagine that diving is not a sport to you then as well? How can ski jumping be a sport then? They have to stay in a straight position and land accordingly in order to get the score....THEY ARE BEING JUDGED, so you contradict yourself on this one.

The others I would have to agree with you....it is such a fine line and people have their favorites.

My oldest daughter was a competitive gymnast from the time she was five years old all the way through college (competed on her college team--Big 12 school, not Nebraska, sorry to say...LOL). She even trained briefly under Bela Karolyi in Houston (though she was nowhere near Olympic level). I have been to more gymnastics meets (and spent more money on it :) ) than probably anyone on this board. I have all the respect in the world for the difficulty of gymnastics, and no way could I even do level 5 gymnastics (low level). It certainly has significant elements of sport in it. But there are subjective elements ("style points") to the scoring. In fact, my daughter often outscored other gymnasts who were better at tumbling skills because of her artistic scores. Not classifying gymnastics as a true sport does not minimize it, it's just something different...a competition with athletic and artistic elements to it. Same as diving. I can't surf or ballroom dance either, that doesn't automatically make those activities "sports".

(On the other hand, I used to be pretty damn good at quarters, so maybe we should call it a sport...)

Imagine if a runner could come in second in the 100 meter dash but win the gold medal because judges thought his running style was more "artistic" than the guy who ran faster.

As for ski jumping, isn't it just who jumps the farthest (and lands standing up)? I don't think they lose points for not staying in a straight line, it just affects their ability to jump far. If I'm wrong and it is scored subjectively, then it's not a sport. Not contradictory, maybe I just misunderstood the way it's scored. I watch it for a few minutes every four years so I can't say I am an expert on it. :-)