Urine bombs from CU fans.

Bottom line is this.....................every fanbase has its a$$hole$ and we're no exception. I have to think that these incidents are isolated rather than widely spread. Now I've made my hatred to CU and KSU widely known, I hate them with a passion, KSUcks more than CU, but nonetheless a hatred. I've had several discussions with CU fans and I've found that they obviously have a deep seated hatred towards us and I can understand where they are coming from with my hatred for them and KSUcks. They are more aggressive towards us than most fanbases, but you're going to find that in a rivalry, which I think it obviously is.

Bottom line is this.....................every fanbase has its a$$hole$ and we're no exception.

Yeah, every fanbase has them. Colorado just has a higher percentage of them. I know a guy that grew up in Colorado, but played football at Ole Miss. Colorado is his second favorite team behind Ole Miss, but he doesn't really like to admit it simply because he thinks the fans are terrible and doesn't want to be associated with them because he sees it as an embarrassment. It is pretty bad when some of their own fans are embarrassed of the fanbase. I don't think I've ever heard of a Husker fan being embarrassed because of the fans, if anything they are proud to be a Husker because of the fans.

Bottom line is this.....................every fanbase has its a$$hole$ and we're no exception. I have to think that these incidents are isolated rather than widely spread. Now I've made my hatred to CU and KSU widely known, I hate them with a passion, KSUcks more than CU, but nonetheless a hatred. I've had several discussions with CU fans and I've found that they obviously have a deep seated hatred towards us and I can understand where they are coming from with my hatred for them and KSUcks. They are more aggressive towards us than most fanbases, but you're going to find that in a rivalry, which I think it obviously is.

Absolutely there are bad fans everywhere, including bad Husker Fans. I think there isn't a Husker Fan out there who would claim that EVERYONE who wears our colors is a good person, or exhibits good sportsmanship. We've all heard the stories of poor behavior in Memorial Stadium. The difference is that those folks are in the VAST minority in our ranks.

Now, as to whether this is a "rivalry" with Colorado... I can't understand why anyone would think there is a rivalry. A "rival" is someone with whom you compete; a contemporary, someone who has a legitimate chance to take the place you own or covet. Colorado has nothing we covet. They don't have more wins, more conference championships, more award winners, more national championships, more academic all-americans, more attendance, more revenue, more fans, more head-to-head wins, more... anything. They are nothing we want to be, they have nothing we want, and they have no chance of equaling our success either on the field or in the classroom. Why in the world would they be a "rival" to Nebraska?

I could see it if Colorado was even close, even close to Nebraska in any of those categories, but they're not. There isn't a single measuring stick by which you gauge a great program that they're within a country mile of us. Not one.

So where does this talk of a "rivalry" come from? Because Colorado put our name in red on their schedule for a while? Because their fans want it to be a rivalry?

If it's that simple to create a rivalry, what good is a rivalry?

Rivalries are born on two fronts, not one. If it was as simple to create a rivalry as Colorado fan would have you believe, then any team could be any other team's rival.

Here endeth the lesson.

I know it is hard for the people on this board to believe, but the Nebraska-Colorado game is a rival game for the Huskers.

First off, the two teams face each other every year.

Secondly, the two teams have a history going back to the late 1980s that includes mostly tight games and a couple of blow outs in favor of both sides. Plus, just like any rivalry, you can throw out the records. No matter what the records are, the games are tight.

What we can talk about is the origin of the rivalry....the relationship that existed back in 1986. Nebraska was a superior team to Colorado. The Buffaloes talked up a rivalry that didn't exist back then and they didn't care how ridiculous the conversation became.

Sal was a victim of that era. Tragically he became ill at a very young age and was used as a slogan for a team in its march toward beating Nebraska first and then the national title.

What was especially aggravating for Husker fans was that the Colorado team was No. 1 a pretender and No. 2 a slogan making machine that valued smack talk over actual on-the-field performances. When they lost to Nebraska, they always said they were victimized somehow and when they won they conducted themselves in the same classless manner.

If you were to walk on to the campus this year and ask about Sal, I feel as though most people would not know what his significance was to the Colorado program.

If you walk on to the campus in Lincoln and ask about Brook, you will not only find people who know what his significance is, you will also find a statue outside of North stadium and hear about a citizenship team created in his name. A special effort was not made to make a slogan out of Brook's death back then. T.O. rejected that notion in favor of real long lasting honors.

Sal, to my knowledge, is not honored in such ways by CU.

Colorado went about it wrong and that's why Nebraska fans rolled their eyes.

Sadly, it would not be a surprise at all if the sign disparaging Sal was painted by a CU fan in the first place.

I know it is hard for the people on this board to believe, but the Nebraska-Colorado game is a rival game for the Huskers.

Again, simply saying it's a rivalry does not make it a rivalry.

Colorado is not Nebraska's rival any more than Iowa State is Nebraska's rival. The players feel nothing special toward Colorado and the coaches and fans view it as just another game with the same importance as playing Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State and/or Iowa State. There is nothing "special" about Colorado to us. Nothing.

Sal Aunese's life and tragic death doesn't make this series a rivalry. That premise is flawed from the outset. There is absolutely nothing about a Colorado loss during the Sal Aunese era that is remarkable for Nebraska fans any more than a loss to Iowa State or Missouri would be remarkable.

Apparently you're not very clear on what a "rival" is.

First off, the two teams face each other every year.

Secondly, the two teams have a history going back to the late 1980s that includes mostly tight games and a couple of blow outs in favor of both sides. Plus, just like any rivalry, you can throw out the records. No matter what the records are, the games are tight.

What we can talk about is the origin of the rivalry....the relationship that existed back in 1986. Nebraska was a superior team to Colorado. The Buffaloes talked up a rivalry that didn't exist back then and they didn't care how ridiculous the conversation became.

Sal was a victim of that era. Tragically he became ill at a very young age and was used as a slogan for a team in its march toward beating Nebraska first and then the national title.

What was especially aggravating for Husker fans was that the Colorado team was No. 1 a pretender and No. 2 a slogan making machine that valued smack talk over actual on-the-field performances. When they lost to Nebraska, they always said they were victimized somehow and when they won they conducted themselves in the same classless manner.

If you were to walk on to the campus this year and ask about Sal, I feel as though most people would not know what his significance was to the Colorado program.

If you walk on to the campus in Lincoln and ask about Brook, you will not only find people who know what his significance is, you will also find a statue outside of North stadium and hear about a citizenship team created in his name. A special effort was not made to make a slogan out of Brook's death back then. T.O. rejected that notion in favor of real long lasting honors.

Sal, to my knowledge, is not honored in such ways by CU.

Colorado went about it wrong and that's why Nebraska fans rolled their eyes.

Sadly, it would not be a surprise at all if the sign disparaging Sal was painted by a CU fan in the first place.

First off i didn't see anyone bring up them being our rival, so I don't know how the conversation came to this, i said they see us a rival but i did not say we felt the same. Anyway They are a rival of ours just as missouri, Kansas State, and even kansas our considered our rivals. Much like these other teams they are a minor or mid-major rival, whatever you want to call it. Oklahoma is our only game that has really had tradition and a sense of equality between games (most seasons exclude half the 90's and half the 00's). The truth is Nebraska has a 76 winning % agianst CU and similar %s agianst MU, and KSU. Since that 1988 CU has totaled 6 wins over us, KSU 5, AND mu 4. When the Minor Rivalry was at its peak in the 90's NU won 8 of the 10 games played, 9 with KSU (but this stat does no justice to them cause 2000 they did beat us), and MU winning no games. yet if you want to point in more recent times in the new mienium Cu has beat NU 4 times, KSU 4, and MU 4. The fact of the matter is the only reason CU and KSU became such big games for us was Oklahoma's falloff and then our falloff. I still Like to point out that from 91-93 and then revamped from 00-01 the NU-Ou games were closer in score. For a short time when Oklahom was brought back to NC contender and NU was still an NC contender the NU-OU Rivalry was the biggest game for both teams.

I must give CU some credit though as they did infact win an NC (on a 9-1-1 record, with a 5th down, and a clipping call on Rocket Ismael) and have won a Heisman (this I can not argue with Salaam definitely had some numers) while KSU and MU have niether, but since the moderate amping of CU's short lived program KSU has won a confrence title.

Yet truth betold a 30 some winning % and moderate to nearly no prestige does not cut it to be Nebraska's Main Rival, not to mention thier lack of class and respect

I didn't even bother with Kansas considering they were not much of a contender til recently.

Wel there ya have it, but I can add more if u like

One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

Check out the scores.....look at the definition of a rival. Now, the coaches might say they don't see this ball game as anything other than the next one on the slate, but I doubt T.O. ever said the Oklahoma game mattered any more than any other either and that one was definitely a rivalry.

1986, lost 20-10

1987, won 24-7

1988, won 7-0

1989, lost 27-21

1990, lost 27-12

1991, tied 19-19

1992, won 52-7

1993, won 21-17

1994, won 24-7

1995, won 44-21

1996, won 17-12

1997, won 27-24

1998, won 16-14

1999, won 33-30 OT

2000, won 34-32

2001, lost 62-36

2002, lost 28-13

2003, won 31-22

2004, lost 26-20

2005, won 30-3

2006, won 37-14

2007, lost 65-51

2008, won 40-31

1980-1985

Huskers won those games by a combined 254-54

Something began to change about this series in 1986. Colorado beat Nebraska, then proceeded to build a 20-plus year history of playing the Huskers close. How many games in this series have come down to a field goal, or a play at the end.

Take a snap shot of the years of 1996-2000 and compare it to 1980-85. Nebraska won by a combined 127-112. That's right, roughly two touchdowns or 3 points per year.

Rivalries are built over time. They are built on fantastic finishes and nail-biting games.

You are right. Nebraska and Colorado isn't a rival just because one person said it. The rivalry isn't because Bill McCartney said so or Colorado fans want it. And it certainly isn't because Sal died or any of the events that surrounded that. I brought those events up because Colorado attempted to use them to make the game with the Huskers a rivalry.

It took making history. It took 20 years.

Now think of NU vs. OU. Outside of the Crouch-Collins-Stuntz-Crouch play in 2001 there simply hasn't been a lot of NU-OU games that have come down to the wire.

Plus....every Husker fan freaks out and gets all defensive about there not being a rivalry. That may be the biggest evidence of all. But, added to that, I have had more Husker fans than I care to mention say, "Man, I hope we beat the stupid Puffs this year."

As a Husker fan, I want to win ALL the games. I don't want to win some or just OU or just CU or any other. I always tell them....who freaking cares if we beat CU if we have a 6-5 record. I want to win the Big 12. Hell, I don't even want to "win the north." I want to win the Big 12.....PERIOD. Still, those fans will protest and say...yea, but I really hate Colorado.

Case Closed.

P.S.

If all CU had was a lot of smack talk. Nothing else. And was still getting pounded by NU 55-0 year in and year out then it would most definitely not be a rival. I would like that to start soon. Last year was about all I could take. WE SHOULD HAVE KILLED THEM. Why did they come into our house and score two straight early. Why did we let them back in with that stupid fake field goal...oh, yea, I forgot. See above.

One more thing to add. About Oklahoma. I know we all just love the other Big Red. They always respected us so much. I love how they attempt to make a grand entrance on our field. I love their Ruff Neks and their stupid fight song. I love Barry Switzer and how he always talked down about us all the time. I just love how Bob Stoops gets hyped as a great coach no matter how many times he loses to Boise State or West Virginia in a bowl game. Wait. No.

I HATE OU and all things associated with it. IF they NEVER, EVER WON A GAME OR SCORED A TOUCHDOWN THAT WOULD BE JUST FINE WITH ME.

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest. I loath everyone who says how we have respect for OU. Cheap shot bastards. Ask Mickey Joseph. Wait, it hasn't changed, ask Percy Harvin.

Now think of NU vs. OU. Outside of the Crouch-Collins-Stuntz-Crouch play in 2001 there simply hasn't been a lot of NU-OU games that have come down to the wire.

Im assuming u mean 1986 on right?

Yes 1988 we only won by 4, 1991 we only beat OU by 5, 1994 was closer than CU, infact it was one of our closet games of the season (wyoming, miami, and Ksu were the others), 2000 we started with a 14-0 lead but then blew it, 05 we lost by 7, 06 we had a huge defesive battle in the Big 12 championship, but after that they just to good for us.

But if your not

Then Johnny Rodgers punt return TD in the Game of the century, or even just the GAme of the Century

1978 osborne beats Ou for first time as HC and inspired for title hopes (only to get crushed by MO)

Billy sims' famous fumble at the 2 or 3 yard line

The tripplets barely past the sooners to continue thier #1 ranking

The Game of the Century 2 OUs revenge

the list goes on

By the way the way the NU-OU rivalry was formed completely diffrent and in a more significant way. It was not based on hopes to bring up a lowline program by picking the best team in the Big 8 as thier main focus, but rather a battle every year for Championship hopes.

7 times the teams have faced one was #1

2 times they were #1 to #2 while facing (even)

9 times both were in the top 5

17 times both were in the top ten

25 times both were ranked

Can u match this with CU

or how bout 5 NCs to 7 (5 to 4 when CF was integrated and 2 patoon)

Over 96 All-Americans to over 140

The fith most winningest team to the 7th

The 3rd best winngest % to the 4th Post WWII

3 heismans to 5 (3-4 when CF was integrated and 2 patoon)

over 80 confence championships between NU and Ou

The winnigest progam since 1970 to the winningest program since post WWII

THE GAME OF THE CENTURY

Does not compare they are our rival youre right, but not our top rival, rather a Mediocre rivalry

Ok, I don't have a ton of stats or anything else like that, but my reason why OU is our rival, and CU is just a "stand in" for OU thanks to the Big XII...

15 years ago, in the army, stationed in Germany, I meet this really pretty, sweet, nice girl. We hang out for a couple weeks. I really liked her.

One day, we got to talking about where we'd grown up, and she told me she was from Okla. I asked her where, she said, "Norman". I asked her, are you a Sooners fan, she said "big time"

At that point, I thanked her kindly for her time, and walked away.

Here is a little something to chew on. Oklahoma, in its hay day, kicked our rears on a regular basis.

That game of the century was a thing to behold in large part because we were 7-22 in the previous 29 games with the Sooners.

Five of the victories were from 1962 to 1971

Osborne's first win against OU was big beause they had won six straight.

From 1979 to 1991 we got beat eight times and won five.

Three of those five wins came during the scoring explosion years.

We dominated from 1991 to 1997 because OU had fallen off the map. And don't I wish they would have just stayed off the map.

Since then we are 1-5 against OU.

Colorado owns just as many wins over the Sooners in the same amount of time.

Know this... Oklahoma, despite what you might think, does not respect Nebraska. Some of their fans say there is no rivalry with us. They point to the Red River Shoot Out.

You are right. Colorado doesn't have our tradition at all. They won one lucky championship. We can certainly say we are better, but history tells us that over the last 20 years we have not been as dominant over CU as we had in the 20 before that.

Oh yea, and CU has been to the Big 12 title game more often than us to, which totally sucks.

The 70-3 ARSE kicking by Texas kinda makes up for that, but it must be noted that they won the Big 12 title the year that EC won his Heisman. ARRRGGGGHHHHHH

tmfr15, nothing you're saying would be different if you substituted Missouri for Colorado, or Kansas for Colorado, or even Kansas State for Colorado. As Nebraska has waned all three have risen, to the point where everyone but Iowa State has been beating us on a semi-regular basis lately. Even the Cyclones have a couple of wins over Nebraska in the past ten years. None of the things you're bringing up separate Colorado from any other team in the Big XII North. You're describing a CONFERENCE OPPONENT, not a RIVAL.

Close game scores over the past two decades mean they're an improving football team. Most every team in the nation wins most every game they play by the kinds of margins we've had with Colorado over the years. This is nothing special, again.

Probably, it's just payback for the urine bombs CU fans got from NU during the 94' game in Lincoln. And yes, it can be very brutal in Boulder if you are wearing red or have Nebraska license plates.

Right. Colorado fan has been screwing with Husker Fan for the last thirty years for something that happened 15 years ago. Makes perfect sense.

You know that's not true. Until McCartney circled us as the game of the year, there wasn't a rivalry. Their fans didn't act like it was a rivalry. Their fans didn't screw with us thirty years ago. I live closer to Boulder than I do to Lincoln. In order to go to Huskers games, we used to go to Boulder. It didn't get bad until 15 or so years ago. We stopped going by the mid-90's because it got too bad for us.

Probably, it's just payback for the urine bombs CU fans got from NU during the 94' game in Lincoln. And yes, it can be very brutal in Boulder if you are wearing red or have Nebraska license plates.

Right. Colorado fan has been screwing with Husker Fan for the last thirty years for something that happened 15 years ago. Makes perfect sense.

You know that's not true. Until McCartney circled us as the game of the year, there wasn't a rivalry. Their fans didn't act like it was a rivalry. Their fans didn't screw with us thirty years ago. I live closer to Boulder than I do to Lincoln. In order to go to Huskers games, we used to go to Boulder. It didn't get bad until 15 or so years ago. We stopped going by the mid-90's because it got too bad for us.

No, I know that IS true. It's not like McCartney suddenly changed the atmosphere of Boulder so much that their fans suddenly became unruly and hostile, and it's not like they're ONLY hostile towards Husker fans. They're this way to everyone, and they've been like this since before McCartney. Clearly it has ramped up during and since his tenure, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that McCartney invented this kind of behavior in Boulder, or that it didn't exist before him.

Ok, I don't have a ton of stats or anything else like that, but my reason why OU is our rival, and CU is just a "stand in" for OU thanks to the Big XII...

15 years ago, in the army, stationed in Germany, I meet this really pretty, sweet, nice girl. We hang out for a couple weeks. I really liked her.

One day, we got to talking about where we'd grown up, and she told me she was from Okla. I asked her where, she said, "Norman". I asked her, are you a Sooners fan, she said "big time"

At that point, I thanked her kindly for her time, and walked away.

I met mine here in Vegas, unfortunately she said she never followed football at the time. Now i'm married to her, hear the OU fight song every time her cell rings and listen to her chime in about OU football all the time. I normally shut her up when I ask her the names of certain key players and laugh at her for not being a true fan of her team, but a band wagoner. Sometimes i wish i'd have run when I had the chance, now i'm stuck :steam

:LOLtartar