Urine bombs from CU fans.

Ok, I don't have a ton of stats or anything else like that, but my reason why OU is our rival, and CU is just a "stand in" for OU thanks to the Big XII...

15 years ago, in the army, stationed in Germany, I meet this really pretty, sweet, nice girl. We hang out for a couple weeks. I really liked her.

One day, we got to talking about where we'd grown up, and she told me she was from Okla. I asked her where, she said, "Norman". I asked her, are you a Sooners fan, she said "big time"

At that point, I thanked her kindly for her time, and walked away.

I met mine here in Vegas, unfortunately she said she never followed football at the time. Now i'm married to her, hear the OU fight song every time her cell rings and listen to her chime in about OU football all the time. I normally shut her up when I ask her the names of certain key players and laugh at her for not being a true fan of her team, but a band wagoner. Sometimes i wish i'd have run when I had the chance, now i'm stuck :steam

:LOLtartar

Well, hope she's treatin' ya well...

Probably, it's just payback for the urine bombs CU fans got from NU during the 94' game in Lincoln. And yes, it can be very brutal in Boulder if you are wearing red or have Nebraska license plates.

Right. Colorado fan has been screwing with Husker Fan for the last thirty years for something that happened 15 years ago. Makes perfect sense.

You know that's not true. Until McCartney circled us as the game of the year, there wasn't a rivalry. Their fans didn't act like it was a rivalry. Their fans didn't screw with us thirty years ago. I live closer to Boulder than I do to Lincoln. In order to go to Huskers games, we used to go to Boulder. It didn't get bad until 15 or so years ago. We stopped going by the mid-90's because it got too bad for us.

No, I know that IS true. It's not like McCartney suddenly changed the atmosphere of Boulder so much that their fans suddenly became unruly and hostile, and it's not like they're ONLY hostile towards Husker fans. They're this way to everyone, and they've been like this since before McCartney. Clearly it has ramped up during and since his tenure, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that McCartney invented this kind of behavior in Boulder, or that it didn't exist before him.

There's always unruly fans even of teams that are doormats. Things in Boulder didn't get really bad until McCartney, and until he decided to make us CU's rival. When you go into someone else's house to play, the atmosphere is typically haunting. This is why they call it home field advantage. I've been to many games out there, and I can tell you that it didn't get real bad until about 15 years ago. KState didn't get real bad until they got good. I've never been to Columbia, but I'd guess they didn't get real bad until they started beating us. McCartney did change the atmosphere with regards to Nebraska. Nudeheisel tried to change it back. Barnett got it back to where McCartney had it. It appears at though Hawkins wants to keep the atmosphere where it is. Nudeheisel brought the CU players to Berringer's funeral while Tommie Frazier didn't even attend.

Bottom line is this.....................every fanbase has its a$$hole$ and we're no exception. I have to think that these incidents are isolated rather than widely spread. Now I've made my hatred to CU and KSU widely known, I hate them with a passion, KSUcks more than CU, but nonetheless a hatred. I've had several discussions with CU fans and I've found that they obviously have a deep seated hatred towards us and I can understand where they are coming from with my hatred for them and KSUcks. They are more aggressive towards us than most fanbases, but you're going to find that in a rivalry, which I think it obviously is.

Absolutely there are bad fans everywhere, including bad Husker Fans. I think there isn't a Husker Fan out there who would claim that EVERYONE who wears our colors is a good person, or exhibits good sportsmanship. We've all heard the stories of poor behavior in Memorial Stadium. The difference is that those folks are in the VAST minority in our ranks.

Now, as to whether this is a "rivalry" with Colorado... I can't understand why anyone would think there is a rivalry. A "rival" is someone with whom you compete; a contemporary, someone who has a legitimate chance to take the place you own or covet. Colorado has nothing we covet. They don't have more wins, more conference championships, more award winners, more national championships, more academic all-americans, more attendance, more revenue, more fans, more head-to-head wins, more... anything. They are nothing we want to be, they have nothing we want, and they have no chance of equaling our success either on the field or in the classroom. Why in the world would they be a "rival" to Nebraska?

I could see it if Colorado was even close, even close to Nebraska in any of those categories, but they're not. There isn't a single measuring stick by which you gauge a great program that they're within a country mile of us. Not one.

So where does this talk of a "rivalry" come from? Because Colorado put our name in red on their schedule for a while? Because their fans want it to be a rivalry?

If it's that simple to create a rivalry, what good is a rivalry?

Rivalries are born on two fronts, not one. If it was as simple to create a rivalry as Colorado fan would have you believe, then any team could be any other team's rival.

Here endeth the lesson.

Sorry, I don't agree with you and I'm not going to agree with you. A rivalry IMO can go two ways...............an OU-NU rivalry, not one anymore and those days are gone, or a hatred rivalry, IMO CU-NU. You have your opinion on the issue and I have mine. I can see where you're coming from though.......... :thumbs

I know it is hard for the people on this board to believe, but the Nebraska-Colorado game is a rival game for the Huskers.

Again, simply saying it's a rivalry does not make it a rivalry.

Colorado is not Nebraska's rival any more than Iowa State is Nebraska's rival. The players feel nothing special toward Colorado and the coaches and fans view it as just another game with the same importance as playing Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State and/or Iowa State. There is nothing "special" about Colorado to us. Nothing.

Sal Aunese's life and tragic death doesn't make this series a rivalry. That premise is flawed from the outset. There is absolutely nothing about a Colorado loss during the Sal Aunese era that is remarkable for Nebraska fans any more than a loss to Iowa State or Missouri would be remarkable.

Apparently you're not very clear on what a "rival" is.

Again, I couldn't agree with you more. You can honestly tell us that you don't have a feeling of wanting to beat KSUcks or sCUm just a little more badly than any of the other teams? I find that hard to believe...............

I lived in the state for about 8 months. Wore red nearly every day. Got some fun razzing but never experienced anything like what has been mentioned. I have attended three games at Boulder. Never had a problem, nor was my vehicle vandalized. I would say they were a little more roudy than most fans you encounter, but I think you expect that from some of the things some of our idiot fans did.

I hope it simmers down some. I would certainly hate to see some one get seriously hurt. Messing with 80 year old people is just wrong, no matter who you are or your fan level.

Just to clear this up- She was 80 when she told the story not 80 when it happened.

knapplc- even if 1 Nebraska fan was part of Sal is dead it is poor. CU fan didn't say so I did.

You seem to have a hard time believing we might be the same (fan base, recruiting, poor behaved athletes) as some of the programs we complain about. I have no such delusions and yet I am still a fan. Huh.

I know I'm not in the majority here and it is painful to say I don't mind the idea of CU being a rivalry game. We could use a rival and OU is not bc/ we don't play them every year. Some would prefer to cling to traditions that no longer seem to make sense. tmfr15 had some pretty good points.

UT and OU are rivals. MU and KU are rivals.

The "Sal's dead, go big red" sign thing is true. I saw the sign hanging under the "Welcome to Nebraska" sign on I80. I lived in Lakewood in the early 90's. I dressed my 2 boys aged 5 yrs and 2yrs old as little husker players. We then proceeded to the mall for trick or treating ( they had it closed from 8 to 10 for the kids to go to each storefront and get treats). Anyway, this guy comes out of his store and grabs my youngest by the shoulder pad and say's "Why are you dressed up as a F*****G husker?" I proceeded to punch him in the mouth ( several times) and spend the night in jail. Needless to say that was just "one" story I could tell you about how they feel about us out there. :box:box:clap

I don't care if one guy or one carload of guys painted Sal is Dead on a sign. It's not indicative of what Nebraska Fans are about. Every fan who I care to associate myself with loathes even the idea of doing such a thing.

There are murderers in the State Pen here in Lincoln who are Husker Fans. You want to associate yourself with them? You think they're indicative of the fan base? Get real. One sign doesn't throw the whole fan base under the bus.

I went and say some thing on rival"s. Only you can say whose best GBR rival not me.

But to me best rival has to be univ. that you want bet in ever sport not only football. MU top rival is alway Kansas. No matter if we play football, swim, BB, baseball, or some kind of butt scratch contest. No matter if you can be top drawer of national at the time or have all loses. No matter. We all time need to beat Kanasa and if you ask to them I say you may get same back on MU,olay?

Can be that you"re best GBR has lot"s confernce teams to play but no one top rival. Can be only football can matter and no care about other sport which can be find.

Have nice saturday.

:moreinteresting

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU>

I went and say some thing on rival"s. Only you can say whose best GBR rival not me.

But to me best rival has to be univ. that you want bet in ever sport not only football. MU top rival is alway Kansas. No matter if we play football, swim, BB, baseball, or some kind of butt scratch contest. No matter if you can be top drawer of national at the time or have all loses. No matter. We all time need to beat Kanasa and if you ask to them I say you may get same back on MU,olay?

Can be that you"re best GBR has lot"s confernce teams to play but no one top rival. Can be only football can matter and no care about other sport which can be find.

Have nice saturday.

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU>

TT thats a good point.

If all sports are considered who is our main rival in everyones opinion??

Have nice saturday.

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU>

TT thats a good point.

For me, Notre Dumb - with out a doubt.

Have nice saturday.

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU>

TT thats a good point.

For me, Notre Dumb - with out a doubt.

Well we don't really ever compete against ND that often. Maybe KSU or even UT? Seems that in FB and VB, the two sports I think most follow at NU, we have heated exchanges with those teams. Also UT for baseball and lately KSU.

Have nice saturday.

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU>

TT thats a good point.

TEXAS...on a conference level since its inception, NU or UT has won the all sports championship every year I believe (may need some info on that). The have rabid fan bases, unlimited financial ability, more so from UT obviously buy don't kid yourself, NU can fund the entire athletic budget plus just from football and that is better than almost anyone can say, and both feel entitled to be great because of tradition (NU) and money/power (UT).

Plus the natural hate most in this state have for everything Texas helps fuel that. We just aren't they're equal on the football field yet.

p.s. I root for Texas when they aren't playing NU because at least they can win a title when they win the B12 unlike OU.

Have nice saturday.

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU>

Maybe I'm wrong, but for a "true rivalry" isn't there also an element of joy in when your rival gets beat even if it's not your team doing the beating? I remember shirts that said "My two favorite teams are Nebraska and whoever is playing Oklahoma" I would like to see what Killer Cacti for SCar or Jayhawk, JGS30, Fro Daddy, TuffTigger between them.