Omar Minaya

A press conference was called to announce the firing of team official, Tony Bernazard, after he challenged some players on the Binghampton minor league team, to a fight.

Here's a snippet of the press conference, which took a turn for the surreal...

Things might have bottomed out this afternoon, though, as GM Omar Minaya addressed the New York media about the firing of team official Tony Bernazard. Minaya challenged the validity of reports by the New York Daily News' Adam Rubin, who initially broke the story of Bernazard challenging Mets minor leaguers in Binghamton to a fight.

It got weird when Minaya intimated that Rubin may have broken the story in hopes of getting a job in player development with the team.

"Adam, for the past couple of years, has lobbied for a player development position," Minaya said. "He has lobbied myself, he has lobbied Tony, so when these things came out I was kind of a little bit, you had to think about it."

Rubin, who was present as Minaya lobbed accusations at him, asked directly if the New York general manager was implying that he wrote the story to tear down Bernazard so he could take his job, and that's where it got really interesting.

Omar Minaya: No, no, I'm not saying that. All I'm saying was, that I know that when you wrote the reports, but I am saying, that in the past, you have, have lobby for a player, for a for a job ...

Adam Rubin: If I were interested in working in player development somewhere in the major leagues at some point in my life, how did that impact this situation at all?

Omar Minaya: I said, because, when the reports came out a lot of these things were cross... I said 'Who's writing these reports?' and I said well OK who's writing the reports and in the back of my mind, Adam, you have told me you have told other people in the front office that you want to work for player development in the front office.

Adam Rubin: So what you're alleging is that ... the only conclusion I can draw from that is that you're trying to allege that I tried to tear everyone down so that I could take their position. Is that what you're saying?

Omar Minaya: Adam ...

Adam Rubin: It seems pretty despicable to say that.

After the press conference ended, Rubin held an impromptu one of his own to address the non-allegation allegations.

"I've never asked Omar directly for a job in baseball," he said. "I've spoken with [Jeff] Wilpon in the sense of probing him like how do you get a job in baseball. I don't know how I'm going to cover the team now. I'm absolutely floored. To make this the story now is obscene."

Omar Minaya, has got to be fired. He absolutely destroyed any crediblity the Mets once had.

Sad thing is Jeff Wilpon said today, that they won't be firing Omar.

WTF is that? The Mets are a f'n joke...

And I couldn't be happier..

What Omar did is tantamount to lible, and if I was the writer, i'd be kickin' off in his a$$ like a g-string right now