Marquise Hill

Going to have to agree with Jen here. I took 5.5 years to get my masters and only because I actually took 1 less summber session than she mentions above. I also have to admit that it is a b!tch and with sports it is damn near impossible. Every hour of the day is planned and football has quite a few more practices than we did. Petrino is a car salesman and full of feces.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It all depends on the master's program and the field. In some schools, there's a combined undergrad/master's program in 5 years where you do 1 years of masters. It's easier if you transition from the same undergrad program.

Of course, he's a student athlete, which makes it different.

But this is not nearly as unheard of or rare as some are suggesting.

It all depends on the master's program and the field. In some schools, there's a combined undergrad/master's program in 5 years where you do 1 years of masters. It's easier if you transition from the same undergrad program.

I never said it was unheard of, but for scholarship football players this is quite rare. Now if you can cite me some evidence to the contrary I'll take a gander at it.

I believe that Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino is setting his players up for massive failure. There's a reason why most colleges and universities only have about a 50%, (+ or - 10%) athletic graduation rate. It is hard enough just to try and graduate in four years as an average student. You throw into the mix the time required to play football, or any other varsity sport for that matter, at a major D-1A school on top of that--completely unrealistic expectations.

I never said it was unheard of, but for scholarship football players this is quite rare. Now if you can cite me some evidence to the contrary I'll take a gander at it.

I believe that Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino is setting his players up for massive failure. There's a reason why most colleges and universities only have about a 50%, (+ or - 10%) athletic graduation rate. It is hard enough just to try and graduate in four years as an average student. You throw into the mix the time required to play football, or any other varsity sport for that matter, at a major D-1A school on top of that--completely unrealistic expectations.

took me 3 to get my Masters degree.... wasnt easier either and felt rushed even at that pace....

oh, definitely, for scholarship football players, that's different.

But again, it depends a lot on the program. It's likely that he's blowing smoke - after all, we all know it's athletes-athletes, not scholar-athletes or athlete-scholars ...but not necessarily, all I'm saying. I haven't looked carefully at the claims either way. Staying at the same school will certainly help.

Going to have to agree with Jen here. I took 5.5 years to get my masters and only because I actually took 1 less summber session than she mentions above. I also have to admit that it is a b!tch and with sports it is damn near impossible. Every hour of the day is planned and football has quite a few more practices than we did. Petrino is a car salesman and full of feces.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

:laughpound

Overall...I agree with you.

But Many schools..Not just Nebraska, have a better graduation rate of Student-Athletes than the overall population of students graduating.

I think it has something to do with almost no free time to distract them.

I wouldn't trust Petrino, either...But this stated intention of getting advanced degrees for these kids is a great draw..Hope our administration pays attention to this and incorporates it into our overall recruiting package.

Most probably won't be able to graduate on time...but a solid chunk will be taken care of, and there's always post graduate grants to take up some slack.

The key that's probably selling parents like Hill's Mom is the PLAN..that will hopefully start (or continue) great time management and study habits.

But Many schools..Not just Nebraska, have a better graduation rate of Student-Athletes than the overall population of students graduating.

I wouldn't trust Petrino, either...But this stated intention of getting advanced degrees for these kids is a great draw..Hope our administration pays attention to this and incorporates it into our overall recruiting package.

Most probably won't be able to graduate on time...but a solid chunk will be taken care of, and there's always post graduate grants to take up some slack.

The key that's probably selling parents like Hill's Mom is the PLAN..that will hopefully start (or continue) great time management and study habits.

Exactly, it's not about whether the kid actually succeeds. Only that coaches can convince these parents that their kid will succeed.

It's just a game for alot recruiters. Many of whom could do very well for themselves as used cars salesman. Hell, they already possess the most vital skill for the job, blowing smoke up peoples asses to sell them lemons!

Exactly, it's not about whether the kid actually succeeds. Only that coaches can convince these parents that their kid will succeed.

It's just a game for alot recruiters. Many of whom could do very well for themselves as used cars salesman. Hell, they already possess the most vital skill for the job, blowing smoke up peoples asses to sell them lemons!

And/or Motivational speakers.

The difference is (hopefully) These parents don't see their kids as "Lemons" and will encourage them to get their degrees.

Maybe even in spite of the recruiter. :nutz

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

as a recruiter I can tell you tht most masters are a waste of time and effort. if it really matters to a company they will pay for it and allow time. Most don't, especially in the fields many athletes major in. Just a lot of windowdressing but yoiu have to admire Petrino, bobby is the biggest BS artist in the biz. And that is saying something, but the kids are buying it.