Lincoln: Is it that unattractive to recruits?

I've been to many, many college campuses around the country. Sometimes visiting my cast extended family that are in college, visiting my friends, visiting my parent's schools, and looking at colleges for myself. This is what I have to say about UNL:

The campus is very traditional, consistent, and pleasant, but it isn't special or memorable. It's a park on the side of Lincoln basically, which isn't too impressive outside of the Haymarket (which is very cool, but limited). I had a far more favorable impression of Nebraska than Missouri and certainly the state school system here in New York, which is far inferior to UNL (New York is traditionally private-school territory) in almost every way. The thing is, I am not a top football recruit, and the schools Nebraska competes with offer so much. UCLA, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Florida offer better academics straight off of the bat, if the athlete were so inclined. Nebraska is still impressive by public school standards, but it just so happens that these other schools are slightly (to extensively in some cases) more impressive. Then you get to environment. Los Angeles is Los Angeles no matter where you are in it (My step sister goes to USC, and the "ghetto" is a minor inconvenience). There are endless things to do and the entertainment life attracts impressionable young males. Combine that with the weather, great academics, and beautiful campuses... Nebraska doesn't have a chance.

Or, Austin, TX. It's a beautiful city. It's warm. Texas is slightly more impressive academically than Nebraska. The school has lots of money and the state has far more opportunities outside of football (employment wise and entertainment wise) than Nebraska.

Ohio State is a cold Big Ten school, but it has an academic reputation more solid than UNL's, it is located in a very economically diverse city that has lots of culture and things to do, and has the largest athletic budget in the country. The campus, while no Michigan State or Wisconsin (my two personal favorites in the country) makes UNL seem humble by comparison.

Most of the SEC is probably academically inferior to UNL and have negligibly similar athletic operations. Most of these schools are also located in humble settings with very homogeneous culture, but what do they have going for them? It is warm. Athletes like warm whether. More time training outdoors. More hot coeds in bikinis riding in Jeep wranglers with kegs partying outside in the hot south where nobody gives a damn. At UNL, in the cold socially conservative state of Nebraska, the partying is probably more mundane and controlled, and more people probably hole up in the dorms on the cold winter days.

You Jayhawk basketball fans really hate Lincoln.

Assuming this was directed at me and sker...and I can assure you that I am about as far from being a Jayhawk fan as they come. Come live in KC for a while and you'll realize how great most Husker fans are. I can respect the Jayhawk basketball fans...most are similar to a Husker fan during football season (educated, informed, passionate, respectful, etc) - the problem with them is they let their pride carry over into football season where it has no place. Huskers know how to munch on humble pie through basketball season - hawks should take note for the fall.

Still, I can seperate my dislike for the Jayhawks, and my love for the Huskers long enough to concede their campus/city has more to offer a college student. A football recruit...probably not when it comes to football specific items. But talking about the campus in general, unfortunately they've got us by a mile. Not everyone can put asside their strong passion for Nebraska and admit that the campus has shortcomings. There's nothing wrong with that - it's why they use the word passionate every time they talk about Husker fans. It's also the same thing that makes me dislike KU fans during football season - reality ceases to exist in their bubble.

• Fire 1

Assuming this was directed at me and sker...and I can assure you that I am about as far from being a Jayhawk fan as they come. Come live in KC for a while and you'll realize how great most Husker fans are. I can respect the Jayhawk basketball fans...most are similar to a Husker fan during football season (educated, informed, passionate, respectful, etc) - the problem with them is they let their pride carry over into football season where it has no place. Huskers know how to munch on humble pie through basketball season - hawks should take note for the fall.

Still, I can seperate my dislike for the Jayhawks, and my love for the Huskers long enough to concede their campus/city has more to offer a college student. A football recruit...probably not when it comes to football specific items. But talking about the campus in general, unfortunately they've got us by a mile. Not everyone can put asside their strong passion for Nebraska and admit that the campus has shortcomings. There's nothing wrong with that - it's why they use the word passionate every time they talk about Husker fans. It's also the same thing that makes me dislike KU fans during football season - reality ceases to exist in their bubble.

You hit the nail on the head with this one.

I admit that I fall into the category in bold. The University of Nebraska and the Cornhuskers are not separate entities, and I will defend my alma mater until the day I die. I recognize that I am far from impartial, and I really have no desire to be. See the definition of "fanatic".

As for the purpose of the topic, football recruits obviously don't prefer the alure of Lawrence and the KU campus to what Nebraska can offer them.

I've been to many, many college campuses around the country. Sometimes visiting my cast extended family that are in college, visiting my friends, visiting my parent's schools, and looking at colleges for myself. This is what I have to say about UNL:

The campus is very traditional, consistent, and pleasant, but it isn't special or memorable. It's a park on the side of Lincoln basically, which isn't too impressive outside of the Haymarket (which is very cool, but limited). I had a far more favorable impression of Nebraska than Missouri and certainly the state school system here in New York, which is far inferior to UNL (New York is traditionally private-school territory) in almost every way. The thing is, I am not a top football recruit, and the schools Nebraska competes with offer so much. UCLA, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Florida offer better academics straight off of the bat, if the athlete were so inclined. Nebraska is still impressive by public school standards, but it just so happens that these other schools are slightly (to extensively in some cases) more impressive. Then you get to environment. Los Angeles is Los Angeles no matter where you are in it (My step sister goes to USC, and the "ghetto" is a minor inconvenience). There are endless things to do and the entertainment life attracts impressionable young males. Combine that with the weather, great academics, and beautiful campuses... Nebraska doesn't have a chance.

Or, Austin, TX. It's a beautiful city. It's warm. Texas is slightly more impressive academically than Nebraska. The school has lots of money and the state has far more opportunities outside of football (employment wise and entertainment wise) than Nebraska.

Ohio State is a cold Big Ten school, but it has an academic reputation more solid than UNL's, it is located in a very economically diverse city that has lots of culture and things to do, and has the largest athletic budget in the country. The campus, while no Michigan State or Wisconsin (my two personal favorites in the country) makes UNL seem humble by comparison.

Most of the SEC is probably academically inferior to UNL and have negligibly similar athletic operations. Most of these schools are also located in humble settings with very homogeneous culture, but what do they have going for them? It is warm. Athletes like warm whether. More time training outdoors. More hot coeds in bikinis riding in Jeep wranglers with kegs partying outside in the hot south where nobody gives a damn. At UNL, in the cold socially conservative state of Nebraska, the partying is probably more mundane and controlled, and more people probably hole up in the dorms on the cold winter days.

This is funny. Like Nebraska is SOO much more socially conservative than Georgia, Mississippi, or Alabama (remember George Wallace "Segregation Now! Segregation Forever!"?). Heard of the "Bible Belt"? Yeah, we're a bunch of free-spirit hippies here. Ohh yeah, the hot coeds drive X5s, Range Rovers, and RX 350s. Just thought I'd clarify.thumbsup.gif

A college campus and the city that it is in are two completely different things.. You could say Miami is nicer than lincoln and you'd be right and wrong in some sense. What makes a campus? Weather? Lincoln as a city itself is not a bad city, don't understand why that's a minus 1... apparently you haven't been on ASU and NU's campus both because I just talked to a friend who goes to ASU and said it's not even close with the trees, but good attempt at that one. What is public transportation? The fact that every UNL student gets FREE bus transportation on any of the campus or city buses? There is a way to get to every class or place you want/need to get to through the bus system. Diversity is lacking, I'll give you that, but diversity is lacking at many campuses throughout the nation.

The OP was in regards to the city of Lincoln...

Regardless, they really are the same thing though. Especially in a city as small as Lincoln where the campus defines the city. It's all that is there. Ask any student why they like KU's campus better than NU's and they are going to describe the city of Lawrence, Mass St., etc when they make their justifications. Ask someone why they like UCLA's campus and they'll talk about the ocean (or proximity to it). Miami will talk about the city/night life. Northwestern kids will talk about Chicago, Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue (been on their campus too). How many Friday/Saturday nights do you spend "on" the campus? How many of your favorite college memories were based on something that happened within the 200 acres, or outside of it? Was your favorite part of college the LAN parties in the freshman dorm or did you actually 'do' something w/ your free time? I've spent many nights on Mass in Lawrence...and I can guarentee you the college females don't spend their evenings on the campus. Maybe the ones you want to marry, but not the ones you want when you're 20. :)

As for Arizona St, I was in Tempe for the super bowl a couple years ago - it's practically in the desert - I was being semi-sarcastic regarding the trees. Went to Mill Ave, the bar scene in Tempe puts O.St. to shame. (especially super bowl weekend)

Regarding public transportation. A Northwestern student can walk 4 blocks to a subway, ride the blue line to the airport and fly home. Costs him $5 to get there and he didn't have to sit on a smelly bus. A kid going to UCLA can get to LAX in 20 minutes and fly non-stop to Miami, FL. But to fly out of fly out of Lincoln you're looking at stoping in Minneapolis of Denver, and spending a minimum of what...500-600 to get to a place like Miama? And it takes an entire day? You can fly out of Omaha but how do you get there? Even a parent living on the other side of the US can more easily get to UCLA to watch their son play than someone can get to Lincoln.

I don't know - you'll have an impossible time convincing me Lincoln "OR" the campus of UNL is in the top 100. I haven't heard a single thing about the campus that makes it in any way unique or distinguishes it from 500 other campuses across the US. These recruits walk on anwhere from 5 - 25 campuses before they make their decision. Since we are talking about the campus/city...what sets it appart? The academic center? Football facilities? 15 years ago maybe, not today. Other BCS schools have closed that gap. It's just not a great selling point recruiting against UCLA, Texas, Ohio St, etc. Which is why we push other things. I imagine the campus is portrayed as a small piece of the puzzle...and any recruit that mentions what the campus lacks is quickly met with a response like "if you see much of the campus while you are here...you aren't spending enough time in the weight/film room"

I disagree about the facilities, when it comes to football anyway, they are elite and do set Neb apart. Byrne lost sight of importance of feeding the cash cow but this was one of the few things Pedey got right. Neb's facilities are comparable to any in the country and better than most. Oregon may have an edge but that is about it.

A college campus and the city that it is in are two completely different things.. You could say Miami is nicer than lincoln and you'd be right and wrong in some sense. What makes a campus? Weather? Lincoln as a city itself is not a bad city, don't understand why that's a minus 1... apparently you haven't been on ASU and NU's campus both because I just talked to a friend who goes to ASU and said it's not even close with the trees, but good attempt at that one. What is public transportation? The fact that every UNL student gets FREE bus transportation on any of the campus or city buses? There is a way to get to every class or place you want/need to get to through the bus system. Diversity is lacking, I'll give you that, but diversity is lacking at many campuses throughout the nation.

Since we are talking about the campus/city...what sets it appart? The academic center? Football facilities? 15 years ago maybe, not today. Other BCS schools have closed that gap. It's just not a great selling point recruiting against UCLA, Texas, Ohio St, etc. Which is why we push other things. I imagine the campus is portrayed as a small piece of the puzzle...and any recruit that mentions what the campus lacks is quickly met with a response like "if you see much of the campus while you are here...you aren't spending enough time in the weight/film room"

I disagree about the facilities, when it comes to football anyway, they are elite and do set Neb apart. Byrne lost sight of importance of feeding the cash cow but this was one of the few things Pedey got right. Neb's facilities are comparable to any in the country and better than most. Oregon may have an edge but that is about it.

I agree, they are "comparable" to any in the country, and probably better than most. 15 years ago, there weren't any others comparable though. If you look at the Big10 (and I haven't seen all their facilities so I'm making an assumption here) - I would say Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State all have similar facilities. Maybe Iowa and Wisconsin as well. In the Big12...Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, A&M all have comparable facilities. When were Big8 it was Nebraska, a huge gap, then everyone else.

Since we are talking about the campus/city...what sets it appart? The academic center? Football facilities? 15 years ago maybe, not today. Other BCS schools have closed that gap. It's just not a great selling point recruiting against UCLA, Texas, Ohio St, etc. Which is why we push other things. I imagine the campus is portrayed as a small piece of the puzzle...and any recruit that mentions what the campus lacks is quickly met with a response like "if you see much of the campus while you are here...you aren't spending enough time in the weight/film room"

I agree, they are "comparable" to any in the country, and probably better than most. 15 years ago, there weren't any others comparable though. If you look at the Big10 (and I haven't seen all their facilities so I'm making an assumption here) - I would say Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State all have similar facilities. Maybe Iowa and Wisconsin as well. In the Big12...Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, A&M all have comparable facilities. When were Big8 it was Nebraska, a huge gap, then everyone else.

You admittedly are making assumptions about campuses and facilities without any knowledge about them. Recruiting is in a much better place then when this topic was originally created a year ago, so what exactly is the point you are trying to make with your posts?

You admittedly are making assumptions about campuses and facilities without any knowledge about them. Recruiting is in a much better place then when this topic was originally created a year ago, so what exactly is the point you are trying to make with your posts?

No point, it's a discussion. The purpose of a forum, am I mistaken? The OP was in regards to Lincoln (and the campus). That's what we are talking about. No real reason to get all worked up over it. Recruiting is slow and it's something to talk about.

I am also fairly confident my assumptions are correct. If you've been to all the campuses and can dispell my assumptions please do. I've been to a couple of them I mentioned above and am confident their facilities match NU's. (Ohio St/Texas/Oklahoma) Just like we can all say Oregon's facilities are superior (yet most of us haven't been there). I think we can assume with $200 million of Boone Picken's money being pumped into Okie St. that their facilities should be able to match NU's. Don't have to be there to confidently state that. $200 million kind of puts Suh's "buy everyone an i-pad" donation seem insufficient.

Recruiting being in a better place than a year ago doesn't make our facilities better, our the campus more attractive. That's for a different discussion. There are plenty of "all hail Bo and his recruiting abilities" topics scattered throughout the recruiting forums. All unarguably justified.

No point, it's a discussion. The purpose of a forum, am I mistaken? The OP was in regards to Lincoln (and the campus). That's what we are talking about. No real reason to get all worked up over it. Recruiting is slow and it's something to talk about.

I am also fairly confident my assumptions are correct. If you've been to all the campuses and can dispell my assumptions please do. I've been to a couple of them I mentioned above and am confident their facilities match NU's. (Ohio St/Texas/Oklahoma) Just like we can all say Oregon's facilities are superior (yet most of us haven't been there). I think we can assume with $200 million of Boone Picken's money being pumped into Okie St. that their facilities should be able to match NU's. Don't have to be there to confidently state that. $200 million kind of puts Suh's "buy everyone an i-pad" donation seem insufficient.

Recruiting being in a better place than a year ago doesn't make our facilities better, our the campus more attractive. That's for a different discussion. There are plenty of "all hail Bo and his recruiting abilities" topics scattered throughout the recruiting forums. All unarguably justified.

Fair enough. Sorry if I've come off as "worked up", but I guess I don't see the rebirth of this topic as accomplishing much or even being that relevent as to why this topic was created in the first place (recruiting not going well a year ago). FWIW, I've seen Iowa's facilities and Nebraska's are better.

Actually a considerable chunk of Boone's donation-money was tied-up in investments that went south, building hit a snag. We already have facilities Okie Lite PLANS on having, plus we're doing our own building to take it to the next level. I think you are assuming too much in terms of what other programs have. Neb has better than most programs, including the major programs. Having great facilities has long been a point of pride and a recruiting advantage, Neb won't give that up. I don't see them being the standard-bearer they were back in the heydey, lots of programs have good to great faciliites now. But they are still among an elite few. As with Oregon they need an edge to make-up for other disadvantages. Because of that need they'll work harder to stay around the top. The Suh donation gives our facilities the "glitz factor" Oregon specializes in, I'd say we're fairly comparable overall now.

Actually a considerable chunk of Boone's donation-money was tied-up in investments that went south, building hit a snag. We already have facilities Okie Lite PLANS on having, plus we're doing our own building to take it to the next level. I think you are assuming too much in terms of what other programs have. Neb has better than most programs, including the major programs. Having great facilities has long been a point of pride and a recruiting advantage, Neb won't give that up. I don't see them being the standard-bearer they were back in the heydey, lots of programs have good to great faciliites now. But they are still among an elite few. As with Oregon they need an edge to make-up for other disadvantages. Because of that need they'll work harder to stay around the top. The Suh donation gives our facilities the "glitz factor" Oregon specializes in, I'd say we're fairly comparable overall now.

$1 million, a few i-pads and a couple LCD tv's don't even put us close to Oregon.

Okie St. (locker room at around 1:30 - cafeteria at 3:30)

Regardless of the investments, they still finished the football facilities in 2009. The "athletic village" is still being developed (because it is part of a $500 million athletic facility upgrade which has a duration of 10 years starting in 2005) - but that would just put them over the top. What they currently have is still pretty sweet. A story was run by the Times that stated Pickens lost the entire $165 million investment back in 2008, which might be what you are refering too. It ended up being wrong and I think was retracted. OSU was in possession of it, and he pledged an additaion $65 million after that. Then another $100 million for scholarships in February. That brings his total donations to almost a half billion. I think the entire endowment for UNL is barely a billion. While it takes Lincoln taxpayers to upgrade the facilities at UNL - Okie just has to ask Boone. Must be nice :)

$1 million, a few i-pads and a couple LCD tv's don't even put us close to Oregon.

Okie St. (locker room at around 1:30 - cafeteria at 3:30)

Regardless of the investments, they still finished the football facilities in 2009. The "athletic village" is still being developed (because it is part of a $500 million athletic facility upgrade which has a duration of 10 years starting in 2005) - but that would just put them over the top. What they currently have is still pretty sweet. A story was run by the Times that stated Pickens lost the entire $165 million investment back in 2008, which might be what you are refering too. It ended up being wrong and I think was retracted. OSU was in possession of it, and he pledged an additaion $65 million after that. Then another $100 million for scholarships in February. That brings his total donations to almost a half billion. I think the entire endowment for UNL is barely a billion. While it takes Lincoln taxpayers to upgrade the facilities at UNL - Okie just has to ask Boone. Must be nice :)

The athletic department does not use tax payer money to upgrade facilities. It is all paid for by donations. I think you are forgetting the athletic department makes $100 million each year a large portion of which goes back to the university. They haven't borrowed from university funds for any of the recent projects (west stadium, north stadium). Also the future upgrades to east stadium will once again be paid for by donations, not the athletic budget, university budget, or tax payer money.