SIGNED ATH Tyler Evans

I've read that Tyler ran a 4.48 electronic timed 40 and ran a 10.95 100m, which is pretty solid.

An anecdote, Waverly's current coach (Mike Johnson) coached Brook Berringer in Kansas.

Check out the guns:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/1142/3...824009_8499.jpg

Also has a 36" vertical.

Won the state 100m with an electronically timed 10.89.

Some are skeptical but the kid is definitely an athlete.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 7 2009, 10:08 AM) 450067[/snapback]

(And no, I don't think Evans will ever be an impact player.)

How the hell would you know?

Well, he has 2 stars, so that makes it pretty common knowledge I think :sarcasm .

If his measurable are anywhere near accurate, he is a heck of an athlete, and athleticism is something you can't teach. And as far as what you can teach, the kid seems to be pretty smart, so I think he'll do well there as well. I honestly think he will be a solid player for us wherever he ends up.

Boo-hoo. I'm not throwing him under the bus - I'm just reading the tea leaves here. The only other D-1 scholarship offer he had was from Ohio and Frank Solich.

Not even Iowa State, or Kansas, or K-State had bothered to offer the kid.

Yes, there are diamonds in the rough, but you don't find them very often.

I wish the kid the best, but the fact remains that we need to recruit better players if we want to return to national prominence.

Boo-hoo. I'm not throwing him under the bus - I'm just reading the tea leaves here. The only other D-1 scholarship offer he had was from Ohio and Frank Solich.

I wish the kid the best, but the fact remains that we need to recruit better players if we want to return to national prominence.

and that pretty much says it all....although i hope the kid is a solid player for us, not sure how we could be ecstatic with the 2010 class so far and sorry to say, i think his recruitment was a defensive move by this staff to display some activity.

I really wish everyone would compare Evans' measurables to other WRs that we have offered. The kid is better than most.

Then why not more offers? He plays in Waverly, NE, not Dallas. Anyone remember how many D1 offers went to Danny Woodhead?

Really, look at this young man's numbers and tell me where he comes up so short compared to most other WRs we are after. I've resisted saying this up to this point, but I have come to believe that there is a bias on this board against Nebraska kids. Oh sure, Rodriguez got some love here, but then he was a nationally known commodity, right?

If you don't agree, then look at Tyler's measureables and tell me how they are vastly different from most other Wrs on our board.

I really wish everyone would compare Evans' measurables to other WRs that we have offered. The kid is better than most.

Then why not more offers? He plays in Waverly, NE, not Dallas. Anyone remember how many D1 offers went to Danny Woodhead?

Really, look at this young man's numbers and tell me where he comes up so short compared to most other WRs we are after. I've resisted saying this up to this point, but I have come to believe that there is a bias on this board against Nebraska kids. Oh sure, Rodriguez got some love here, but then he was a nationally known commodity, right?

If you don't agree, then look at Tyler's measureables and tell me how they are vastly different from most other Wrs on our board.

people just have a lot of angst because they feel as though the recruiting gods aren't on our side. if he committed and we had more commits i think the hostility would be more mild. but by the same token a recruit cannot be judged on measurables alone. however, i think what evans does bring to the table is passion for a team and mental ability to pick up the system, which is far more important than his measureables (i.e. thenarse buried on the depth chart and o'hanlon excelling)

i think we are in on some difference makers, and that we are going to get some commits as the season goes on, but there have been a few things working against us.

1)most of the kids we are recruitting are not from the midwest and money is tight for a lot of families. most prospects/high ranking recruits probably want to see the place they are committing to before they commit. i would imagine an unofficial trip to lincoln would cost well over $500, an official is a free trip.

2)nebraska over the past years has not had a good showing on national tv, and for the most part are not apart of any national discussion.

3)academically NU cannot compare with stanford, and stanford beat USC

4)NU needs a player with national attention.

i strongly doubt that bo is trying to screw up is first head coaching gig, and he has proven the past two years that he can recruit with some of the best of them.

i agree with all except #4. we have a big name player in suh. he has been mentioned as a top 3 nfl pick in most predictions and is pre season all big 12 and in some all american. not sure what else you can ask for. it just seems odd to me that the players committing to other schools instead of nu. eli dickerson commits to rice over a schollie from nu, simek commits to tt out of the blue, bolton commits to ku over nu along with terry switching his pledge, gilliam commits to purdue for the love of god over nu and it seemed like lucas vincent committed to MU like it was his dream school or something. it almost seems like the name NEBRASKA is vanishing before our eyes.

The staff got a good look at him at camp, they liked what they saw, they offered, end of story. Sometimes the smalltown kids don't get their due when it comes to recruting-attention. This is one of those times. He's just as athletic as the kids from out of state we've offered and he has a great head on his shoulders. He's a solid addition.

i agree with all except #4. we have a big name player in suh. he has been mentioned as a top 3 nfl pick in most predictions and is pre season all big 12 and in some all american. not sure what else you can ask for. it just seems odd to me that the players committing to other schools instead of nu. eli dickerson commits to rice over a schollie from nu, simek commits to tt out of the blue, bolton commits to ku over nu along with terry switching his pledge, gilliam commits to purdue for the love of god over nu and it seemed like lucas vincent committed to MU like it was his dream school or something. it almost seems like the name NEBRASKA is vanishing before our eyes.

even though suh is star to us, most people still don't know his name. he hasn't reached glenn dorsey's level of hype yet, but will probably get that level once people can see him on tv. isn't rice called the harvard of the south? if academics are his thing then nu has very little chance vs those type of institutions. simek was out of the blue and i don't know what kool-aid he was drinking, bolton i don't know whether we were ever that high on him. terry had family ties to ku. i don't think we were recruiting gilliam that hard and lucas vincent i don't even know his story.

but based on what i have heard calhoun has been our #1 OL recruit on the board, and we still have a chance with him. i don't know who is our #1 guy for lb and dt, but i strongly doubt it was gilliam or lucas (i want to say that fehoko is our #1 lb recruit because bo is supposedly recruiting him personally).

we have missed out on some guys but that comes with recruiting, even lsu, usc, and uf miss out on some guys they want.

i will agree though it seems as though everyone else has sped up their recruitment. usc and uf usually have a small class buy this time in the year. but i still believe that it is a long time until signing day and i would assume that many of our top prospects are still on the board for us.