NU Loses Another Commit

You know, i read all through this thread, and not once did i see why Sloan left, where else he is looking, or even a link to such a thing.

Is it me, or did this thread simply get started to complain about the recruitment status?

Auburn, Kentucky and Mississippi State are now the schools he's looking at. He didn't give a specific reason why, but it was made clear that there were schools committing him hard and then Nebraska who hadn't sent him any mail or phone calls all summer. He couldn't even get in contact with his future position coach for a chat.

No, Sloan's departure isn't a surprise. What is a surprise is the reason. And the reason is a common theme running throughout this year. Recruits not getting mail, not being able to get ahold of coaches, etc. etc. Meanwhile we're getting creamed by just about everyone in the conference.

Again, the season isn't over. All is not lost. And yeah, gametime is our selling point. But let's at least be honest with ourselves. Nebraska has a lot to sell. What we need is some guys selling it. The faster we bring in top talent the faster the program rises back into its place.

We can pretend there is nothing wrong as long as we want but the truth is there for all to see. Recruiting has changed dramatically. Kids make up their minds sooner than ever. We are losing the war. We have lost two 4* recruits and have a class smaller than even the doormats of the league. We have offered seemingly every 5* player in the universe but will not get any of them. It seems this staff uses Rivals to send out letters and see what shows up.

if there is not a big turn around this will be a debacle. Anyone who is comfortable with the trend, simply is whistling past the graveyard. Something is keeping recruits from valuing our program. Are other coaches spreading rumors ? Are we going to be that bad this season? What is the reason that we are losing the recruiting wars?

I have heard that the effort put into recruiting has intensified since late July. While I do believe that there were coaches who were not putting in the necessary diligence into recruiting for much of the summer, this appears to have been rectified for the most part. I don't think that the lack of contact with Sloan was a continuance of the lack of summer effort, but was more the fact that his chance of qualification has outweighed his potential in the eyes of our coaches. Looking at the current roster and the number of available scholarships we will have available for the 2010 class, I think that we take 1 cornerback (2 at the absolute most). Do we really want this ship taken by someone who has a good chance of being academically ineligible?

As for your statement about our staff offering every 5* player and using Rivals to send out letters, you obviously have absolutely no insight into how Pelini and staff recruit because this couldn't be further from the truth. As for getting 5-star players, wait until next years class (one or two could announce as early as this fall).

hard to think a small recruiting class is the reason we might have stayed out of touch with this guy. it will be small, but not so microscopic that we start ignoring commits when there aren't any rumblings of anyone else.

But last year I remember when Earnest Norman found out he wasn't going to qualify and I thought it was bad news...now we have Eric Martin, who is doing pretty well by most reports and no one knew his name until December or so last year.

Like many have stated already, this is not a big shock. Most believe he committed early just to get offers from other schools. Whatever the case was, I'm just glad this isn't one of those January/February surprises and that we still have plenty of time to show other recruits what we have to offer.

Maybe I have had to much :koolaid2:

But I have a hard time seeeing the BP staff falling down on any of their duties. I'm not sure what the problem is and sure as hell have no insight on how to fix it. It is frustrating but I can only believe that this staff works as hard as any in CFB.

This is frustrating...I hope there's a good reason why the staff wasn't contacting him....Maybe they just cooled off to him because of qualification issues. But still...4 commits? WTF?

My thoughts exactly. Let's hope NU gets it in high gear for recruiting during the season.

This is frustrating...I hope there's a good reason why the staff wasn't contacting him....Maybe they just cooled off to him because of qualification issues. But still...4 commits? WTF?

My thoughts exactly. Let's hope NU gets it in high gear for recruiting during the season.

John Talman was on the Shick and Nick show this morning. He stated that he thinks that the decommitment is a case of Nebraska cooling on Anterio. He said he was surprised at the offer in the first place because Bo usually places value in having bigger corners and some reports were that Sloan was 5'8" and 165 lbs. He stated that Anterio was not able to schedule visits because of his academic issues. He also expects recruiting to pick up beginning this weekend.

On a side note, we have 5 commits (Rodriguez, Moudy, Gabbert, Evans, and Vestal).

maybe what needs to be done is for NU to hire a Recruiting Coordinator that does nothing else. Not a Wide Receivers coach. Not a Linebackers coach. Not a Running Backs coach.

This persons job would be to take messages from Recruits that call the Coaches when they are not in the office and make sure that the phone calls are returned in a timely manner. They would make sure that each of the coaches have sent out a specified number of hand written letters each week. They would remind the coaches to visit Recruit X while in the area of Potential Recruit Y

This seems to be a time management issue with balancing recruiting and coaching, and oh throw in family quality of life also.

just a thought