NU Loses Another Commit

CheshireCat,

My "take" on recruiting is quite simple and I've stated many times previously; however, since you've obviously missed what I said in past threads I'll reiterate it for you here and now:

* If Nebraska doesn't sign player A, they'll get player B to take his place. If we lose player A, it doesn't automatically mean that player B is not as good as A. And when we do lose a player to another school, we rarely, if ever, know the real reason why. Maybe the coaches won't promise a player playing time, a starters role, a job for mommy/daddy/uncle buck, maybe the player is a trouble-maker, uncoachable, maybe they find something out about the player and tell him to look elsewhere. Or, maybe another school's coaching staff was able to promise the player what he wanted or maybe they are just better recruiters and did a more complete job of selling their school than the Nebraska coaches did.

* Recruiting is a process that can make someone crazy if they get too in depth with it. These are, in most cases, 17 year old kids who are in the process of making a major decision in their life. And as such they are prone to changing their minds.

* I want to see Nebraska recruit and sign the best available, but I'm realistic about the process. Nebraska, for all the history and tradition, has an uphill battle when going after the top talent. When going after the top talent there's a lot of competition and it's blatantly unrealistic to expect the Huskers to win all, or even a majority, of recruiting battles.

And who should address these recruiting concerns? You? Me? Huskers51? We're just fans here. Nothing we do or say will change how this staff recruits.

I will repeat myself again: If Nebraska is still sitting at 5 recruits and it's getting towards the end of October--then I will agree that's it's time to start getting at least a little bit concerned about what is going on. My guess is that now that the season is officially underway-it is game week after all, we're going to see Nebraska's commit list start to fill up.

As far as class rankings go: I believe that as long as a team is consistently in the top 30 nationally-they're going to have the kind of speed and talent on their roster to compete with anybody. I don't buy into this notion that a team has to be 3 deep at every position with 4 and 5 star rated players exclusively.

Yes I'm sure it would be hard to judge a successful class, bc I'm sure Jen's successful class is one four star and the rest 2 stars from nebraska and north dakota. after all if they are in our recruiting class it must mean they were the ones bo really wanted. i trust bo!

side note: the above was sarcastic, but I want to make it clear that I do actually trust bo and co.

Sarcasm aside...

A preliminary judge of what comprises a good, successful class is one that is ranked in the top 30 nationally.

[sarcasm] And apparently, huskers51 thinks that: Nebraska needs to be 6 deep at every position with 4 and 5 star rated kids exclusively, and if we're not in the top 5 in recruiting, then why bother to play...we won't even have the talent to compete.[/sarcasm]

Well I wrote a lot more than what was just posted there and I think it cut me off... ugh.. I'm not going to bother writing it all again.

Well the good news is that we should be back up to 6 commits after this weekend. Hopefully this starts a positive roll for the staff.

Possibly 7.

If Tejay Johnson is that high on us then great!!! He would be a very good pick up.

Written by Jen

And when we do lose a player to another school, we rarely, if ever, know the real reason why. Maybe the coaches won't promise a player playing time, a starters role, a job for mommy/daddy/uncle buck, maybe the player is a trouble-maker, uncoachable, maybe they find something out about the player and tell him to look elsewhere. Or, maybe another school's coaching staff was able to promise the player what he wanted or maybe they are just better recruiters and did a more complete job of selling their school than the Nebraska coaches did.

If all this is the case then why was a scholarship offered to the player. Prior to a scholarship being offered a player would get an opportunity to talk to staff members and if these issues were there it would be my hope that a scholarship would not be offered.

If all this is the case then why was a scholarship offered to the player. Prior to a scholarship being offered a player would get an opportunity to talk to staff members and if these issues were there it would be my hope that a scholarship would not be offered.

That is why visits are set up. Not only is it for the player to get familiar with the school and the coaching staff, but the coaching staff gets a chance to meet the player in person. Some character traits are better defined in person rather than on the phone or word of mouth from their high school coach . That is why schools will sometimes cool on a player that at one time they were high on.

Written by Jen

And when we do lose a player to another school, we rarely, if ever, know the real reason why. Maybe the coaches won't promise a player playing time, a starters role, a job for mommy/daddy/uncle buck, maybe the player is a trouble-maker, uncoachable, maybe they find something out about the player and tell him to look elsewhere. Or, maybe another school's coaching staff was able to promise the player what he wanted or maybe they are just better recruiters and did a more complete job of selling their school than the Nebraska coaches did.

Not necessarily true. Shawn Bodtmann ring a bell? The staff believed they knew what they were getting, and if much of what I have read was true about his h/s coach, the NU staff was somewhat blindsided. I agree with Jen. One would hope the staff does due diligence on proffers, and we have to give them that benefit of a doubt, but even then it is possible for surprises to happen. We as fans may not learn the reason for those surprises, and I'm fine with that unless it becomes a systemic problem. Certainly no signs of that yet.

its seems the huskers are not bringing in the recruits early like some of the other schools...let say many of the other schools...if you go to rivals , and check the commits , and rankings....the top 25 shcools are pratically done recruiting...not sure how to put a finger on it...but it could be because of an un-proven coach...i don,t want to get too rough with anyone...but tom osborn has trouble bringing in a coach that can recruit who we need...frank solich was not the greatest recruiter in my book, and it began the decline of the football program ...and he was picked by osborn....

to be fair..the recruiting season is not over...and have to wait till feb...the future of husker football is recruiting, its got to be their...its too bad nu cannot bring in a proven coach..i quess the university does not want to shell out the $ for a good one. but who knows.., maybe in feb we will be surprised....it did seem they brought in some players last year late.

its seems the huskers are not bringing in the recruits early like some of the other schools...let say many of the other schools...if you go to rivals , and check the commits , and rankings....the top 25 shcools are pratically done recruiting...not sure how to put a finger on it...but it could be because of an un-proven coach...i don,t want to get too rough with anyone...but tom osborn has trouble bringing in a coach that can recruit who we need...frank solich was not the greatest recruiter in my book, and it began the decline of the football program ...and he was picked by osborn....

to be fair..the recruiting season is not over...and have to wait till feb...the future of husker football is recruiting, its got to be their...its too bad nu cannot bring in a proven coach..i quess the university does not want to shell out the $ for a good one. but who knows.., maybe in feb we will be surprised....it did seem they brought in some players last year late.

Me thinks that the coaches are developing thier HS network under the idea that if they focus on top drawer teams who consistantly win, those teams have many great players that are not all necessarily ranked the same. Program wining tradition schools have good coaching and players, by mide season senior year, there is a real opportunity to zero in and start going after the sleepers, Big schools like TX fill up early, that is both a luxury and a curse....kids make fairly substantial progress between Jr and SR year, cant really judge who made the MOST progress relative to peer group until the SR season gets underway.

If we be winning, wouldnt worry too much about getting players....players want to play for top programs mid season and late season committs are good in the sorting of wheat and chaffe.

While I understand why you have this idea, and ultimately it may have some merit, it is too early to worry about the '10 class. We are not far off where we were last year at this time, and that class turned out to be somewhere above mediocre. Also, the quality of the '10 class is above average. If the staff continues to fill the class up with this level of recruit I will be friggin ecstatic. Check out Scout and you will see that Reeves is now a 4 star.

We are prolly going to get at least one more commit this weekend (Mobley) and we are in the running for Curtis Carter.

Bottom line this whole discussion of Nebraska '10 commits. If I have a choice of fewer high quality commits or more marginal commits, I'll take the former.

And for your posting entertainment I give you THREE dancing bananas....

:corndance:corndance:corndance