Sherman: Too early to dismiss '10 class

Sherman: Too early to dismiss '10 class

OWH

Ted Gilmore has a message for any of you worried about Nebraska's recruiting after the recent loss of two pledges.

"We're not panicking," said Gilmore, the Huskers' fifth-year assistant coach in his third season as the recruiting coordinator. "Whoever's panicking, shame on them."

There's been some buzz among those who care too much about recruiting that NU lost focus this summer in building its class of 2010.

Nebraska secured recent pledges from defensive end Donovan Vestal of Arlington, Texas, and Tyler Evans of Waverly. But it lost receiver Keeston Terry and cornerback Anterio Sloan. Sloan reneged on his pledge over the weekend, leaving the Huskers with five commitments.

Big 12 rivals Oklahoma (23 commitments), Oklahoma State (22), Texas A&M (20) and Texas (19) are nearly finished recruiting. Missouri (14) and Kansas (13) aren't far behind.

"We know what we're doing," Gilmore said. "We've got plenty of people to target. We have a healthy board, and just because (people) think we should have more than we have, that's not their place."

Let's all take a deep breath and consider a few items.

• The Huskers have 14 seniors, all of whom are on scholarship. Translation: The 2010 recruiting class will be small, probably no more than 17 or 18 signees.

"It won't be a full class," Gilmore said. "You're going to make sure you take the right guy."

With fewer spaces available, every recruiting mistake is magnified.

• Which brings us to Sloan. The defender out of West Helena, Ark., said he had trouble of late reaching Marvin Sanders, the secondary coach who played a key role Sloan's initial decision in April.

A coach at Sloan's school said this week that the loss of interest was apparently mutual. Sloan was spooked by Nebraska's depth at cornerback. He also measured 5-foot-8 at a summer combine — not exactly the size of corner for which NU is searching to fill its reshaped group of diverse defensive backs.

Sloan committed to Nebraska without visiting Lincoln, always odd but especially when it happens nine months before signing day. Remember that a recruiting visit is important for the prospect to check out the school but also for the school to get a close look at the prospect.

• It's a down year in Nebraska. The Huskers have secured pledges from Evans and Aurora lineman Andrew Rodriguez.

A few others remain under consideration, but it's conceivable that NU won't offer a scholarship to another Nebraskan this season. In-state players are most likely to commit early. Of the 84 recruits committed to UT, OU, OSU and A&M, 88 percent live in Texas or Oklahoma.

Gilmore said the Huskers' recruiting board includes more than 300 players. And speaking of that recruiting board, there's a somewhat infamous quote attributed to Gilmore from the Huskers' Football 202 event in July, at which Gilmore supposedly said the NU coaches returned from vacation to learn that their top 30 prospects had committed elsewhere.

"It wasn't our top 30 prospects," Gilmore said this week. "I said 30 prospects committed. You can't sign them all."

All things considered, the Huskers look fine. If the last decade at Nebraska taught us anything about recruiting, it's that you can't accurately evaluate a class until the players get to campus and play.

As soon as Saturday, we may learn something from Rex Burkhead, Sean Fisher, Will Compton and Cody Green about the ability of Bo Pelini's coaches to recruit.

A few others remain under consideration, but it's conceivable that NU won't offer a scholarship to another Nebraskan this season. In-state players are most likely to commit early. Of the 84 recruits committed to UT, OU, OSU and A&M, 88 percent live in Texas or Oklahoma.

You know what's interesting? Before this article appeared, I said this in regards to recruiting:

And finally, take a good long look at the players who have already committed to other schools and ask yourself what is the one common factor among them all? The answer is of course location. Nebraska does not have location as an advantage. Ergo, we will probably always lag behind other schools who are closer in proximity to the hotbeds of talent. That doesn't mean we can't still get great players, it just means we have to work harder and take longer to do the recruiting.

HuskerBoard.com

Imagine that, location plays a fairly large role in securing commits...who knew? :lol:

Seriously though, I hope all the recruiting whiners, and they know who they are, will admit they were wrong come February after LOI's have been signed.

Yes Jen, you broke the code to recruiting before this article came out: location plays a factor in recruiting. Man if only you would have brought this to the table during the callahan years, who knows we still might have him as coach. I've said over and over I think this staffs first two classes were very good and full of athletsicm. I really think the staff will put together a decent class by years end but not as good as I would have hoped. It does seem from the outside at least that the coaches are not putting as much into recruiting as we could be. With that said if we have a good year and get possibly Rome to jump ship, while also sealing up Carter, Heimuli and Double O I would give this class an A+ w the limited schollies.

I don't think many people are panicking. I've said all along February is a long way off and our biggest recruiting pitch is in the fall during game time. What we have to learn to deal with, though, is that we might not always get that chance. With the trend of recruiting moving earlier and earlier, the good ole days where you have until December may be gone.

The people that I see freaking out the most, not here because I dont know you guys, but at the Bigredboar and huskerfanclub and HI are all BCers that cant admit he sucked and hated the idea of Bo coming back here to coach so they have to attack the only thing that they think they can attack and thats recruiting.

Good god, there are going to be 3 or 4 freshmen or first year players that play for real this year, not just one play or not just special teams. That right there should tell you what you need to know about Bo's recruiting.

High school footbal and high school conditioning is getting so advanced now that there are literally thousands of kids that are under the radar because Rivals cant 4 star or 5 star every freaking kid. Bo clearly knows how to spot talent as do most of the college coaches.

Yes Jen, you broke the code to recruiting before this article came out: location plays a factor in recruiting. Man if only you would have brought this to the table during the callahan years, who knows we still might have him as coach. I've said over and over I think this staffs first two classes were very good and full of athletsicm. I really think the staff will put together a decent class by years end but not as good as I would have hoped. It does seem from the outside at least that the coaches are not putting as much into recruiting as we could be. With that said if we have a good year and get possibly Rome to jump ship, while also sealing up Carter, Heimuli and Double O I would give this class an A+ w the limited schollies.

You know, your posts could actually be good if they weren't so damn petulant. GFY.

You know, your posts could actually be good if they weren't so damn petulant. GFY.

DAAAMMMMNNNNn trouble in paradise on the HB :laughpound

sometimes we are still need to take a step back and remember we can have opinions and what not but we really dont know sh#t about whats going on.... i'm not hitting the panic button but i'm getting more concerned with the rumors... looking around and seeing whole classes becoming full (and not just even at Texas OU USC Ohio State etc...)

i just hope things work out

Jen, I'm sorry, but in your posts you just come off like you know all before anyone posts it or says it whether it be coaches or media or whoever. As we have gone back and forth for a while it also seems like you have no interest in the "quality" of players we get you're just interested on keeping up with you we are after yet you continue to post and post. Also please don't act like you're not a smart ass or anything like that bc you most certainly are in your posts. If GFY means what I think it does isn't that worse than being sarcastic?