SIGNED QB/ATH Jamal Turner

Ohio Pete

if wonder if pelini's comments today that our offense is going to be like Alabama's in the future just lost us jamal turner...

don't get me wrong i'm all for being a power running team with good passing too, in fact i've been dying for that the last few years... but thats not jamal turners thing. i'd be surprised if he comes here now

I guess I don't understand why you don't think that he would come here if we ran an offense like 'bama's.

He is a dual threat QB. :dunno

well 'bama's offense consists of pounding the rock, play action passes, and quick drop back passes. dunno if turner's the guy for that kind of offense... his video consists of all shotgun, one formation that bama never runs

There isn't too much difference between Turner and Cody Green. Both fall in the dual-threat category. Wats was responsible for recruiting Green last year, so apparently he sees him fitting into his spread offense.

I think what Bo was trying to emphasize in the article is that he likes the way Bama commits to the run. He's all for balance in passing and running, but wants us to be more physical on the line so that we can run at will against anybody the same way Bama is able to. We haven't been able to do that this year consistently, except that one possession against Colorado when Burkhead took it in.

Keep in mind that we're still utilizing the spread offense next year. So Turner will be fine since a lot of spread formations are shotgun oriented.

I think it is also important to note that Bo also mentioned Florida in that same quote. Everyone assumes he meant that he would like to run Alabama's O, but he was using BOTH of those teams as examples of why it is important to be able to run the ball effectively. Both teams do it differently, but they both do it effectively. Bo just said he wants to have a team that can run the ball well, whether it is like Florida and done out of the Gun or like Alabama in an I-Back Set is yet to be seen.

alright well now to me it sounds like its getting out of hand. we want a powerful running game but also a spread offense so we can have fast quarterbacks who can throw with great receivers who are fast etc etc. it now sounds to me like we just want to have an offense thats damn good at everything... if we can run an effective spread offense with a powerful running game that has the ability to impose its will on defenses then this will be the best offense in NCAA history.. good luck with that

alright well now to me it sounds like its getting out of hand. we want a powerful running game but also a spread offense so we can have fast quarterbacks who can throw with great receivers who are fast etc etc. it now sounds to me like we just want to have an offense thats damn good at everything... if we can run an effective spread offense with a powerful running game that has the ability to impose its will on defenses then this will be the best offense in NCAA history.. good luck with that

Like VT has used when they've had a running QB like Vick and Taylor. And Florida has had since Meyer got there. Nevada also runs a spread variant with a powerful running game (led NCAA in rushing). I'm sure there are more examples.

As for Turner, I always like a QB who can scramble or run. He needs to be a passer first, but a QB making plays with his feet always stresses a defense.

Like VT has used when they've had a running QB like Vick and Taylor. And Florida has had since Meyer got there. Nevada also runs a spread variant with a powerful running game (led NCAA in rushing). I'm sure there are more examples.

As for Turner, I always like a QB who can scramble or run. He needs to be a passer first, but a QB making plays with his feet always stresses a defense.

yup. it is hardly revolutionary to want to be proficient on offense at running and passing and have a quarterback that can do both.

Id like to see about a 60-40 run to pass ratio with everything based around those power sets. Much like what Alabama did this year: Relied on their defense to win games and ran the ball very effectively.

Turner is a great QB who happens to be very athletic from what I am being told. 2,000 rushing yards and 2,000 passing yards speak for themselves. That means he rushed and passed for over 200 a game because they only played ten games. That is impressive. Would LOVE to get him and Green in the same class.

• 2 weeks later...

Jamal is basically Cody Green in a smaller frame. Great athlete, but will make you cringe with how he throws.

Wats will have another project on his hands. Not that it is a bad thing, as if Turner gets 'it', dude will be lights out.

Would really hope we get a legit dropback QB with some athleticism next year as well. I love these athletes as much as anyone, but we cannot constantly recruit project passers and hope they pan out.

Cody and Taylor are nice talents, but the work you have to put in before they will be ready makes it hard to be successful year after year. Not a good formula to success.

Ya one with as much moxie as Roseanne has. I think we could be perfectly fine with qbs like Green and Turner if Wats would use them more according to their strengths. Take the TT game for example. The times Lee was in we ran the zone read I believe 8 or 9 times all for minimal gains. Cody Green comes in and we don't run the zone read once. So I'm thinking the coaches are thinking we are going to have throw the ball to win. Nope, when Lee comes back in we run the zone read a few more times for no gains. In the CU game Lee gets hurt and I'm thinking no problem, Green can run this offense easily and maybe even put some spice in the rollout game. Wats goes right back to putting him in the shotgun. I don't even need to mention the Big 12 CC when they put him in on the 1 and took him out after two sneaks and a play action from his own endzone but I had to. Dennis Dixon wasn't a great passer and their O was lights out until he got hurt. White wasn't a great passer and their offense was pretty explosive. Massoli isn't the greatest passer in the world. Thompson in 06 wasn't a great passer by any means and they seemed to move the ball pretty well. I know a lot of our struggles this year can be attributed to our o line but Wats has done nothing to counter act their struggles. No creativity, imagination or innovation at all. I'm sure Bo told him to go into a conservative gameplan but that's probably bc in the games against Mizzou and TT he showed he couldn't get the job done with this bunch. I know Willie you're a big fan of Wats but I'm just not seeing that he has what it takes to be an elite OC.

I can definately see your point BigWillie. But one could argue that we have a drop back passer with some athletic ability playing QB for us now. (Zach Lee)

I really hope that Kody Spano is healthy next season to compete with Cody Green and Zac. If he is that good and Cody needs more polish, maybe that allows the staff to RS Cody as Zac can be the #2. We shall see though, tough to come back from what Kody has gone through is pretty tough.

Ya one with as much moxie as Roseanne has. I think we could be perfectly fine with qbs like Green and Turner if Wats would use them more according to their strengths. Take the TT game for example. The times Lee was in we ran the zone read I believe 8 or 9 times all for minimal gains. Cody Green comes in and we don't run the zone read once. So I'm thinking the coaches are thinking we are going to have throw the ball to win. Nope, when Lee comes back in we run the zone read a few more times for no gains. In the CU game Lee gets hurt and I'm thinking no problem, Green can run this offense easily and maybe even put some spice in the rollout game. Wats goes right back to putting him in the shotgun. I don't even need to mention the Big 12 CC when they put him in on the 1 and took him out after two sneaks and a play action from his own endzone but I had to. Dennis Dixon wasn't a great passer and their O was lights out until he got hurt. White wasn't a great passer and their offense was pretty explosive. Massoli isn't the greatest passer in the world. Thompson in 06 wasn't a great passer by any means and they seemed to move the ball pretty well. I know a lot of our struggles this year can be attributed to our o line but Wats has done nothing to counter act their struggles. No creativity, imagination or innovation at all. I'm sure Bo told him to go into a conservative gameplan but that's probably bc in the games against Mizzou and TT he showed he couldn't get the job done with this bunch. I know Willie you're a big fan of Wats but I'm just not seeing that he has what it takes to be an elite OC.

I thought they should have let CG run the sneak play 1 more time, he was getting like 2+ yards per on the previous 2. I couldn't believe he was getting that kind of yardage when Texas knew what was coming.

I thought they should have let CG run the sneak play 1 more time, he was getting like 2+ yards per on the previous 2. I couldn't believe he was getting that kind of yardage when Texas knew what was coming.

we were getting a good push, but it's hardly the play i'd call on 3rd and 5. the play that was called should have worked great. cody just missed badly on the throw (which likely led to him heading immediately back to the bench).