SIGNED QB/ATH Jamal Turner

Ohio Pete

According to the board Carnes was out and all the good sources agreed(Pelini knew he was N) Cooper was probably heading to greener pastures like Notre Dame, Florida State or Illinois :sarcasm ...Mr. Pelini knew he was N. Owa was ours to loose I guess...But!!..going...going Gone!! Bo and company knew the odds, but they gambled on him. I am guessing Aaron Green is N, take that to the bank!!

Website is wrong. I project Standard to be a 4 star 5.8 type guy. :)

Didn't you also project OWA to be N?

Given the information available at the time I said that we had a good chance. I went with my gut and predicted that he was ours but never said he was N.

Oh. I did say that morning that he was going to UCLA and we should be happy with 2 out of the big 3.

Have a nice day.

• Fire 3
  • 1 month later...

Jamal Turner is an exciting prospect for a number of reasons. The dual-threat quarterback out of Sam Houston High School is a do-it-all dynamo ready to provide Nebraska with another threat from under center and as his offensive line ages and the Nebraska offense starts to settle in, Turner looks to be another huge cog that can be plugged in. How does Turner stack up as a junior and what challenges does he face as a senior? Let’s play the video tape!

In Lance’s Head to Head column, he compared how Turner Gill and Tommie Frazier ran the option. Watching Turner, my mind immediately snaps to Frazier. He waits patiently for the crease to develop and if he does, it’s off to the races. I’ve nicknamed Jamal “The Tasmanian Devil”. For those of you familiar with the old Looney Tunes character (and shame on those of you who aren’t.), Turner comes roaring out of the backfield bouncing off of defenders like a pinball and blasting through ones who aren’t set up properly to tackle him at one of the 10 angles he’s coming at them with.

Jamal also applies a very soft touch to his arcs. One thing that will come very useful as Nebraska continues to develop taller wide receivers and toss up “jump balls” ala Zac Taylor/Joe Ganz and Maurice Purify. Don’t hold him to just that, though. His strikes look like they could put a dent in the side of a 1986 Buick LeSabre. I really enjoy how he plays the pocket. His presence is very well defined for a player of his age. He reads the timing perfectly and when it’s time to scoot it’s a Lee-Corso-esque “chh-chh-chh-CHHT!” into the open.

As we watch Jamal finish out his high school career and see guys like Cody Green, Taylor Martinez, etc. start to work themselves into a very multiple style offense, it will be fun to see not only these players evolve but how the game evolves around them. When you have players who can be this wily and agile then combine them with the “Beast Backs” of the world (See Rex and D-Train), it makes me wonder just how much larger an opposing Defensive Coorindator’s armband is going to get. With Jamal Turner? Not any smaller.

He shrugs off arm tackles like unwanted glances and snaps knees with the ease of blinking. Sure, he’s fast and sure, he’ll make you look stupid, but look on the bright side: At least he’ll give you plenty of practice for running sprints the next morning in practice.

http://www.hothuskers.com/huskerhype/initial-evaluation-qb-jamal-turner/

I don't think it's fair to the kid to already compare him to Tommy Frazier... some kids perform really well at the high school level and do well at the college level but don't have as high of numbers as they did in high school. I have seen kids dominate high school football and then become good quality college players but only put up half those numbers.

This to say, let's wait to see how Jamal translates before we compare him, label him, or start calling him our savior. The kid can ball in high school... he's got the run and the throw and the leadership, but let's just see what happens when he gets to lincoln... If you look at Cody Green for example... he balled in high school. He got here a semester early to try and beat out lee for a starting position freshman year (turner plans to as well), fans were super excited to see Cody in the spring game and he showed really well. He showed really well against Florida Atlantic too in the fall. But when NU started playing Big 12 schools Green struggled some, threw some interceptions, made some bad choices, and several Nebraska fans started to write him off as being a Vince Young (who he was originally compared to). I think one of the things that affected Cody's Freshman take over if you will, is just that, he was a freshman. If you look at Colt McCoy or Vince Young... both of them had their share of battles their freshman year. People though Colt sucked and then look what happened.

Now i am not pointing fingers here or going on a rant or even trying to bring up a point. All I am aiming to do here is to say "hey, Jamal is Jamal... a young kid with a lot of unproven talent. Give him until his sophomore or junior year at NU before we give him a title or label and decide whether he is good or not." And lets see how Cody develops this year... 2011 will be his year where we can expect him to rise and shine... he's still young and needs this second year to develop further. Cody could come out roaring in 2011, Jamal could win us a national championship in 2013 or 2014 or both, but so could Zac Lee this fall... you never know how these guys are going to develop, handle the pressure, and build chemistry with their team.

Hope to see all you guys at the spring game!!! :koolaid2:

I don't think it's fair to the kid to already compare him to Tommy Frazier... some kids perform really well at the high school level and do well at the college level but don't have as high of numbers as they did in high school. I have seen kids dominate high school football and then become good quality college players but only put up half those numbers.

This to say, let's wait to see how Jamal translates before we compare him, label him, or start calling him our savior. The kid can ball in high school... he's got the run and the throw and the leadership, but let's just see what happens when he gets to lincoln... If you look at Cody Green for example... he balled in high school. He got here a semester early to try and beat out lee for a starting position freshman year (turner plans to as well), fans were super excited to see Cody in the spring game and he showed really well. He showed really well against Florida Atlantic too in the fall. But when NU started playing Big 12 schools Green struggled some, threw some interceptions, made some bad choices, and several Nebraska fans started to write him off as being a Vince Young (who he was originally compared to). I think one of the things that affected Cody's Freshman take over if you will, is just that, he was a freshman. If you look at Colt McCoy or Vince Young... both of them had their share of battles their freshman year. People though Colt sucked and then look what happened.

Now i am not pointing fingers here or going on a rant or even trying to bring up a point. All I am aiming to do here is to say "hey, Jamal is Jamal... a young kid with a lot of unproven talent. Give him until his sophomore or junior year at NU before we give him a title or label and decide whether he is good or not." And lets see how Cody develops this year... 2011 will be his year where we can expect him to rise and shine... he's still young and needs this second year to develop further. Cody could come out roaring in 2011, Jamal could win us a national championship in 2013 or 2014 or both, but so could Zac Lee this fall... you never know how these guys are going to develop, handle the pressure, and build chemistry with their team.

Hope to see all you guys at the spring game!!! :koolaid2:

All I have to say to that is Jamal Turner = Tommie Fraizer. :koolaid2: It's the off-season - let us have our fun! :)

Oh. And Standard happened to run for 2800 yards last season. Most 3 star 5.7 type kids dont have numbers like that.

Most 4 star 5.8 guys have more than just 2 offers - 1 being Iowa State, the other being NU which is building a reputation for just blanket offering the entire nation.

Oh. And Standard happened to run for 2800 yards last season. Most 3 star 5.7 type kids dont have numbers like that.

Most 4 star 5.8 guys have more than just 2 offers - 1 being Iowa State, the other being NU which is building a reputation for just blanket offering the entire nation.

Have you seen film of JT?

He had been a hard NU lean since last year even going to the Holiday bowl on his own dime. That IMO is the reason the offer list is small. He has gamebreaking ability every time he touches the ball.

yea i think ez has lost all credibility :):box

i am just kidding, i know that when you post something it is from a credible source

In my opinion Owa was never N it was just regular joe's like you and I guessing. Nobody has a real credible source unless you have the Pelini's on speed dial. Miss Cleo would have a hay day with this board.

No one has credible sources..... no one....... You dont think any info gets leaked that shouldnt or that there might be a booster that sits mighty high on the totem pole that might get more than the average Joe?

Disagree...

He had been a hard NU lean since last year even going to the Holiday bowl on his own dime. That IMO is the reason the offer list is small. He has gamebreaking ability every time he touches the ball.

Agree in regards to JT...which is why he has a lot more than 2 offers as well. And you're right, he would probably have a lot more if he wasn't already committed. I was talking about Standard though...someone who hasn't committed and isn't really a lean one way or the other it seems. It just suprises me (with Standard) Pinkle hasn't offered, or Illinois, etc. IF he really is a 4 star 5.8 guy that is.

Agree in regards to JT...which is why he has a lot more than 2 offers as well. And you're right, he would probably have a lot more if he wasn't already committed. I was talking about Standard though...someone who hasn't committed and isn't really a lean one way or the other it seems. It just suprises me (with Standard) Pinkle hasn't offered, or Illinois, etc. IF he really is a 4 star 5.8 guy that is.

It pains me to say this but Pinkle is a smart man. He knows that he isnt going to be able to get a 4 star running back with the type of offense that they play. Standard ran for 2800 yards as a junior in St Louis. Which is A BIT bigger than Omaha I would say. Granted it isnt Dallas but St Louis produces some quality athletes. Hes a 4 star kid. 5.7 type guys dont run for 2800 yards in a metroplex like STL.

By the way, Kansas has offered Standard.

It pains me to say this but Pinkle is a smart man. He knows that he isnt going to be able to get a 4 star running back with the type of offense that they play. Standard ran for 2800 yards as a junior in St Louis. Which is A BIT bigger than Omaha I would say. Granted it isnt Dallas but St Louis produces some quality athletes. Hes a 4 star kid. 5.7 type guys dont run for 2800 yards in a metroplex like STL.

By the way, Kansas has offered Standard.

Pinkle offered 4 backs in last year's class that were 4* recruits...why wouldn't he this year? I wouldn't get extremely hung up on the 2800 number. I was trying to find out where that came from and everything I see adds up to around 2300. I could be missing something however. MaxPreps might not be reporting all of his games. Still an amazing number regardless. Much more amazing than 590. That's what I was able to find for the rushing yards of Pierson, Missouri's RB committ (also from St. Louis area). He averaged 15.5 yards per carry, to Standards 7.5. He just doesn't have 2300 yards because he didn't get to touch the ball 300 times. Seeing this I thought that maybe Pinkle was just missing Standard...but he managed to offer and receive a committment from Hannah, Standard's WR teamate. He also could probably have the committment of Suntrup, Standard's QB teamate if he offered based on this...

My grandfather, my dad and my dad's cousin all played at Missouri," said the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Sunstrup. "Missouri was my childhood favorite, but they haven't offered and they already have a quarterback commitment (Corbin Berkstresser) in the 2011 class so I don't know right now about them."

I don't know. Something just seems odd to me. I'm sure he's a great player - but I would just like to know why with 2300+ yards his softmore year, and another 2300 his junior year...he isn't racking up offers by the dozen. He's not from East St. Louis and goes to a Catholic school. I mean like you said "5.7 type guys don't run for 2800 yards" Maybe there's something else that's keeping his offer number low.

Max Preps seems to be fairly accurate based on articles I've seen in other places like this one.

New Scout teaser:

Recruiting class direction exciting to Turner

Giddy is probably a good way to sum up how Jamal Turner is feeling right now. The quarterback prospect from Arlington (Texas) Sam Houston knew that Nebraska might have been just some offensive talent away from being exceptional last year. He brings a lot of that, but he knows that a quarterback is better with a great line in front of him and Nebraska is building one.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else notice the leadership that Turner has shown throughout this early recruiting process? I know Moore and Reeves have been recruiting for us as well, but Turner has Aaron Green, Kevin Williams and probably a few others we're unaware of on speed dial. Not that it should be surprising considering he's a QB, but I like what I'm hearing about him when it comes to helping the staff out with recruiting. It should translate well once he gets here and puts the effort out on the field. He'll provide that leadership his position requires.

• Fire 2