Question for the student section....

TheKiD

As far as I can tell about the actually question... I think you could sit (well, stand) in the student section the whole rest of the year and not see it again or begin to tell that they are in the minority. Of course the student section has its positives and negatives, but a lot of the experience can be determined by who you are randomly stuck nearby.

Humm interesting thread.

Lets get real though. I dont like that kinda crap from the fans or students but its going to happen. Unless you want to mount a possy and kick the sh#t out of every drunk chick and dude who spats out vulgarity your not going ot change it. Do you really think the nebraska players are talking all nicey nice when there piled on top of the flordia or arkansaw players. Calling them little bitches and whatnot.

I will agree that calling a bunch of people from a weaker confrence pussys isnt the politest move but what can ya do. Were all adults and some adults act like douchbags. Example i was at a bbq today and my older brother who is thinner, has mastered 2 martial arts, and way stronger decides to have a penis measureing contest and wants to wrestle with me. So i didnt want to but after he had me pinned to the ground on one of his submission moves it was to late. Needless to say he won but what can ya do. He was trying to impress his girlfriend and sometimes thats what douchbags do. Same thing here, im sure all the students will grow up to be honorable husker fans, but then again some might remain douchbags. In the population of the world some people are destined to be douchbags. You know the guy who chants the new big red and iowa state after they won 1 game of the season. See douchbag. It happens.

I guess i would suggest you takeing a seat behind and politely asking the students to please be respectful. Maybe they will listen, maybe they wont. But atleast you tried.

Ben

First off, the student section has been this way for 30+ years, do not act like it just happened. Secondly, the student section is always the loudest part of the stadium. Im sure you guys have called someone an improper name like, "stupid, dumb, etc." Dont be throwing stones at glass houses. Obviously there will be some immature people that will yell profanities during the game, but sadly im sure the 30 year olds...40 year olds..and 50 year olds also did that when they were in the student section when they were in college.

I will say that this is the first time I've seen the "Pu$$y gesture" from the student section. I honestly don't see what the big deal is.... And yes... there is a big difference between yelling BS and doing gestures as opposed to throwing bottles on the field and urine bombs...

You see classless acts from drunks all the time. Look at the BSU fans that were taunting and trying to talk sh#t to LeGerrette Blount after the Oregon game (What he did was far more ridiculous..). They were screaming in his face.

But anyways.... dedhoarse .... The student section will continue to stand all game, be loud as hell, and... make the occasional obscene gesture or chant, it happens. And like many other posters have said already, if you don't like hearing their obscenities, don't sit near them (You'll find the stadium is quite large).

:restore

Man, the 'holier than thou' crowd always cracks me up.

We've got a bunch of kids, sitting in a student section, the majority of which were either on a good buzz or were completely wasted, but somehow people are shocked they do something that is seen as wrong?

The beauty about these message boards is in situations like these, you cannot call other people out on their pasts and the things they have done wrong. I'm sure they went through college, never drank and never became rowdy once their adrenaline started pumping at one of these games. OF COURSE NOT! Why? Because they are better people than us. How do I know? They constantly remind us in threads like these about how much better of people they are than others.

Just know, I'm happy for you all. I'm happy for each and every one of you all that you are better people than a bunch of kids. I'm happy that you chose to come to a public message board to mock college kids at a sporting event, because, well, some act like college kids.

If you have THAT much of a problem with it, go write Tom Osborne another letter so maybe we can move the students out of the stadium all together instead of them constantly being a nuisance to everyone in that stadium.

And before someone says I am condoning it, I am NOT. I'm just sick of two things ..

1.) People CONSTANTLY complaining about the student section. Whether they try to be different with 'Blackouts', to standing during games, to not being loud enough although they make the greater majority of the noise and now something as silly as this.

2.) In situations like these a rush of people to come in and tell or remind everyone how much of better people they are than others. The irony is just funny.

Today, kids talk differently. Brash, confident and to the point. I doubt the student section is much different today than it was 20 years ago. Right or wrong we have to live with it and in the long run they are fine.

The Kid is a student at the University if I remember correctly. He should understand the mind set of his fellow students.

None of us like to hear we are not the classiest fans out there. But reality is we are becoming the same as every other fan base. Change can be good or bad. I prefer to be near the student section when I get to go to games. I am 62 years old and truly enjoy their never ending drive and support. Being an old Jar head I have heard the words, seen the gestures and can honestly say it never affected me or my children. Actually becomes a learning opportunity if you let it.

And as stated it is a college football game, not a Saturday prayer meeting.

You just have to deal with it Kid. It is not going to change.

My point exactly....what gives you the right to act like this? Just because youre a 20 something college guy. Thats BS. Grow up and act like an adult. Better yet, act like a man.

DUDE. Calling an opponent a p*ssy or a bi*ch (as you claimed) is nothing to whine about. I'm sure your movie collection at home says much worse.

P.S. Obama appreciated your vote.

:laughpound That was good stuff!

At least the are standing and cheering. It is so irritating to watch a game on tv and after a big play happens it sounds like 80,000 people giving the team a collective golf clap. Our student section should be right behind the other teams bench and it should be twice as big. We may have the best fans in the country but they are also by far the least standing and most quiet fans in the country.

Is it normal for people in the student section to put up their hands to form a.. well a vagina and yell that the other team's player is a b*tch and/or p*ssy?

I just brought my girlfriend to her first ever husker game today, and I have to say I was a bit ashamed by that. WTF is going on?

edit: i should add that this was not a majority.. but it was quite a few people.

Unfortunately, yes. Which is one of many reasons why I cannot stand college-aged guys.

What kind of guys are you in to? :laughpound

But seriously, that is what douchey college kids do. I'm sure everyone expects that kind of bs.

Well, being a girl, I have my types. And "douchey college kids" aren't it. But hey, every student section in the country is going to have its fair share of jerks who think they're being real edgy and impressive with their behavior. Witty much?

Heh, well, if they're hoping to attract female attention with that, they sure as hell are...but I'm pretty sure it's not the kind of attention they want. I heard more than a few "God, what an obnoxious loser..." from the other ladies around me.

Yeah I think this thread is going down the drain, and it did from the start.

Simply put, it doesn't matter how much any of you would wish some members of the student section would "grow up", because it's not going to happen with everybody. It's like saying you wish the whole world would grow up and act their age, and we all know their are millions of immature @$$holes out there. Alcohol and football games don't mesh well together. I don't condone the pu$$y thing by any means, but as long as their are young kids who think the world is theirs (which will be forever), then stuff like this is going to happen.

You do understand how hypocritical it is to have Jim Morrison as your Av and then complain about language and gestures at a football game?

Yes because Jim Morrison was clearly a role model..........

BTW The Doors are my favorite band all time, but I'm not about to say the student section should act like stand-up citizens.......

P.S. Obama appreciated your vote.

Im gonna leave this thread now. What an idiotic comment. Shows your true level of inteligence. BTW.....go have another drink.

I'm just playing around man. I just think being nice doesn't cut it anymore. It's about winning. Clawing, scratching, kicking..whatever it takes.

But I agree, we can accomplish this without being classless. (esp not throwing urine bombs)

Ahh, So you think that playing dirty and being irrational is "winning," I can see why you think that it's an insult to say that someone voted for Obama.