QB Christian Suntrup

sdhusker82

• 2 months later...

This is kinda what I was talking about in Turner's thread. Look at how differen these two are. One appears to be a drop back passer while the other one is clearly more of a runner. Whats the staff going for exactly?

Good throwers first and foremost. They may be Dual-Threats so to speak but Watson has said in the past that they are looking for QB's that can execute the passing game. We haven't seen Cody Green really excel in this area yet, but he is just a Freshman and Watson wouldn't have recruited him if he didn't think Cody would excel in the passing game.

This is kinda what I was talking about in Turner's thread. Look at how differen these two are. One appears to be a drop back passer while the other one is clearly more of a runner. Whats the staff going for exactly?

Good throwers first and foremost. They may be Dual-Threats so to speak but Watson has said in the past that they are looking for QB's that can execute the passing game. We haven't seen Cody Green really excel in this area yet, but he is just a Freshman and Watson wouldn't have recruited him if he didn't think Cody would excel in the passing game.

I was wondering this too. We are struggling to find an identity on the offensive side of the ball this year, but it appears we don't have an identity when we are recruiting qb's. It is pretty much us taking the most talented guy we can get, and then building the offense around them.

Sometimes that works (Texas with Vince Young)

Sometimes it just doesn't look right (Pryor at OSU)

It's always popular to pick the guy that nobody has seen, but I like Spano and I think he may end up surprising some people. hopefully Green can RS next year because we will have Spano, Lee, Washington, and Martinez ready to go.

I was wondering this too. We are struggling to find an identity on the offensive side of the ball this year, but it appears we don't have an identity when we are recruiting qb's. It is pretty much us taking the most talented guy we can get, and then building the offense around them.

Sometimes that works (Texas with Vince Young)

Sometimes it just doesn't look right (Pryor at OSU)

It's always popular to pick the guy that nobody has seen, but I like Spano and I think he may end up surprising some people. hopefully Green can RS next year because we will have Spano, Lee, Washington, and Martinez ready to go.

I really believe we want an offense like Texas has had this year. Basically, they run with backs only, the QB mainly throws, but if the QB needs to run he can and will. But, I really believe the kind of offense Texas runs is what we are looking to do eventually. So, you want a QB you can move, escape, move the pocket easily, and can run if it's there. However, the main thing the QB will be doing is throwing the ball. They just want to have a QB with that running threat to put more pressure on defenses, unlike Sam Keller. I feel the QB's we have recruited and are recruiting have shown good ability to throw the ball but are also mobile and can run if need be. See Texas, VT, Florida(more so last 2 years) QB's as of late.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.elitefoot...ian_suntrup.wmv

Jamal was a better get.

Really? Suntrup looks like a better passer to me.

Apples & Oranges. Turner is a dual-threat. Suntrup is a pro-style.

I'd agree with that. I wish Watson would figure out whether he is a Washington Apple man or a Florida Orange man. His recruiting looks as indecisive and random as his play calling.

Tim Beck, too.

I mean, do we want speed backs or power backs? Guy needs to figure it out! Same with Gilmore. Possession receivers or speed guys?

In seriousness, ultimately you want certain qualities out of your QB - that doesn't mean you can't work with different kinds of players. If Turner can evolve into a field general who makes all the throws, look out. If he can't, he still has a place in this program, maybe even at another position.

As for speed vs. power backs and speed vs. possession receivers, I think it's important to have both. Oftentimes they complement each other well and help you diversify your options on offense, keeping the D off balance.

Sorry Lava, but I think Zoogies was messing around and making a point. He for got the :sarcasm so that no one would get confused. He was saying exactly the same thing you said and also applying it to quarterbacks... you need some of both just to cover all your bases. Plus if you look at our "Pro-style" targets they are still pretty mobile guys they just aren't known for running like our "dual threat" targets.