QB Christian Suntrup

sdhusker82

• 3 weeks later...

CHRISTIAN SUNTRUP, QB, 6-3, 205, 4.7, ST. LOUIS (CHAMINADE), MISSOURI

Five Schools Make The Cut

“I’ve got it narrowed down to five to eight schools right now. Nebraska, Boston College, Kansas, Minnesota and Stanford those five are definitely up there. Then I’m taking strong interest in Illinois, Wisconsin and Boise State. I’ve been looking at depth charts, the style of offense and see where I can fit in with these programs.” Suntrup said

Fun Times At NU

“I like Nebraska a lot,” Suntrup said. “I went to their spring game and there was about 70,000 plus fans which I’ve never seen anything like it. The (NU) coaching staff spent a lot of time with me; I met some of the recruits, and some of the players. I met Mike McNeil the tight end from Kirkwood nearby where I live.” Suntrup said

“Pick A Passer”

“Nebraska said they really liked me and there was no rush. They wanted to pick a passer for my class I’m their number one choice from what they told me. I’m more of a drop back I can do some things. I can run around a little but I definitely drop back more-pro style.” Suntrup said

Husker’s To Sign Two QB’s, A Factor?

“Not as much because I’ve been to a lot of places and heard a lot of different of things. Bottom line where you go there will be competition you have to compete for your spot no matter what. So I think if the schools are interested in me and I’m interested in them that’s the main thing.” Suntrup said

Really Like Boston College

“Boston College was awesome it was in a big city six miles from the city (Boston) which was really cool. Boston College gave me the best treatment that I’ve ever been; they handed down a lot of respect.” Suntrup said

“Boston College said I’m the guy they are looking for. I talked with Coach Gary Tranquill the offensive coordinator and Coach Frank Spaziani both told me they wanted me.” Suntrup said

Jayhawks A Longshot

“I went to Kansas for Junior Day’s I got to see that Kansas vs Iowa State basketball game which was pretty neat. I’ve never seen a basketball game like that before. It was crazy I liked it a lot.” Suntrup said

“I have some family my dad and grandpa who played football at Missouri, playing Kansas. During the recruiting process I’ve kind of grown to like them (Kansas) and could see myself going to University of Kansas.” Suntrup said

“I’ve haven’t been to Minnesota but I plan on going there once school is out. They have a new stadium I can’t wait to see that and weight room.” Suntrup said

“The coaches (Minnesota) came by the school a couple of occasions Coach Kevin Cosgrove the defensive coordinator and Jeff Horton. I talked to Coach Brewster on the phone and told me they run the same offense that we run at my high school.” Suntrup said

“I went up there (Wisconsin) for a one day practice with Coach (Paul) Chryst and Coach (Dave) Doeren and I really liked it. They were really nice people both are coming down to my school this month.” Suntrup said

Likes Iowa-No Offer

“Iowa hasn’t offered me but that’s another school that’s been staying contact with. I think the Iowa coaches are great, very honest straight forward. I think they (Iowa) are on a program on the rise and academics is very good.” Suntrup said

“I like Coach Frentz he’s been there over 11 years or so and that staff has been with him. I think they do a really good job and it shows.” Suntrup said

“Overall it (Iowa City) was a nice college town. I thought the facilities were great, but the big thing that I’ve noticed through all of this recruiting, it comes down to the coaches and the people surrounded. All schools have nice facilities you have to look at who you are really going to be with.” Suntrup said

“I’m looking at academics that’s really important, a good college and surround you with good people, coaches and players.” Suntrup said

from huskerjournal.com

I think what we do this year will have an effect on CS's decision. If we start Lee, he can probably see himself playing in our offense. Anyone else starts, he will hear from other coaches that Nebraska is moving in a direction of using running qb's. He might fear that he and his arm will ride the bench.

I think what we do this year will have an effect on CS's decision. If we start Lee, he can probably see himself playing in our offense. Anyone else starts, he will hear from other coaches that Nebraska is moving in a direction of using running qb's. He might fear that he and his arm will ride the bench.

I see what your saying, but wouldn't he already think that with our recruitment of Green, Carnes, T-Mart & Turner?

I see what your saying, but wouldn't he already think that with our recruitment of Green, Carnes, T-Mart & Turner?

Of course, but who plays is a better indicator. We are not going to run mucho zone read etc with Lee. Actually, if he (Suntrup) sees us throwing, he may think the other guys we've recruited have made a bad choice. :moreinteresting

Carnes was only because Gabbert fell through. T-Mart was a recruited DB who got a more serious shot when Witt left and Spano stayed down. Turner, as mentioned, is one of 2 that we're pulling in this year and it seems we wanted to go one passer, one project.

And Carnes isn't a super project compared to what we have on the roster. He was the best passer we could have had at that point.

I'm super excited Suntrup is still in the game and that he's our #1. :koolaid2: We can dream...

I'm not sure many of us actually thought Gabbert would end up signing - I'm sure Carnes' recruitment wasn't "because" Gabbert fell through...that had to have been in the works for a while. The coaches weren't sitting back watching the helicopter saga and everything else unfold before them without some action.

T-Mart was recruited as a QB. Bo always told him he'd get the chance to prove himself as a QB first...Mart just made it known that he was willing to switch if it didn't work out. He really only had the 1 year as a HS quarterback, give him time and I think he'll surprise people. He won the LA Times Player of the Year award - I think that's the same award Matt Lienert (sp?) won.

As for Lee, I don't think he'll be playing this year because he fits the offensive identity we have mapped out - he'll be playing because he's the best QB on the very young roster. In an ideal scenario the guy under center would be someone different, though he proved he can be mobile in that Arizona game.

But, I would put more stock in our recent recruiting than in who is starting this year as far as an offensive identity for the future.

2008 - Kody Spano - Dual-Threat

2009 - Cody Green - Dual-Threat

2009 - Taylor Martinez - Dual-Threat (Athlete)

2010 - Brion Carnes - Dual-Threat

2010 - Bronson Marsh - Dual-Threat (Athlete)

2011 - Jamal Turner - Dual-Threat

If that doesn't provide a pretty good projection of where we are heading then I have no idea what will. I'm sure Suntrup is a spectacular player, but it might be better for all involved if this didn't pan out. We've got dozens of other recruits that have signed on with certain expectations to how the offense will evolve. To go back to the drop-back, pure west-coast offense because we have to develop an offense around someone that has no run-threat isn't fair to the rest of the team...just like signing a highly regarded wide receiver with the intention of giving him 100 catches a year, only to pass the ball 15 times a game.

I'm not sure many of us actually thought Gabbert would end up signing - I'm sure Carnes' recruitment wasn't "because" Gabbert fell through...that had to have been in the works for a while. The coaches weren't sitting back watching the helicopter saga and everything else unfold before them without some action.

T-Mart was recruited as a QB. Bo always told him he'd get the chance to prove himself as a QB first...Mart just made it known that he was willing to switch if it didn't work out. He really only had the 1 year as a HS quarterback, give him time and I think he'll surprise people. He won the LA Times Player of the Year award - I think that's the same award Matt Lienert (sp?) won.

As for Lee, I don't think he'll be playing this year because he fits the offensive identity we have mapped out - he'll be playing because he's the best QB on the very young roster. In an ideal scenario the guy under center would be someone different, though he proved he can be mobile in that Arizona game.

But, I would put more stock in our recent recruiting than in who is starting this year as far as an offensive identity for the future.

If that doesn't provide a pretty good projection of where we are heading then I have no idea what will. I'm sure Suntrup is a spectacular player, but it might be better for all involved if this didn't pan out. We've got dozens of other recruits that have signed on with certain expectations to how the offense will evolve. To go back to the drop-back, pure west-coast offense because we have to develop an offense around someone that has no run-threat isn't fair to the rest of the team...just like signing a highly regarded wide receiver with the intention of giving him 100 catches a year, only to pass the ball 15 times a game.

Bronson Marsh is not a QB. He was recruited and offered strictly as a safety. Also, Cody Green is not nearly the dual threat he's been hyped to be. As noted, Gabbert was supposed to be in this class and would have been a more pure passer. T-Mart was also a longshot for QB . . .

Martinez wasn't recruited as a QB either. Sure Bo told him he'd get a shot at it, but I'm sure he'd tell me the same thing too. I think the term "dual threat" gets used too vaguely. I think Wats wants a dual threat like Joe Ganz.

Martinez wasn't recruited as a QB either. Sure Bo told him he'd get a shot at it, but I'm sure he'd tell me the same thing too. I think the term "dual threat" gets used too vaguely. I think Wats wants a dual threat like Joe Ganz.

I'm going to side with Moose on that one. I don't think the staff is looking for Tyrod Taylor/the Vick boy types. Wats ideal QB imo is and will be the Ganz-inator type. Heck, that's my ideal QB too!

Actually, it was definitely because Gabbert fell through.

Gabbert was our #1 and only at QB, and we were left in a real bad jam and scrambling to try to get another guy at the end because he bailed. On top of that, Carnes almost didn't happen. Gabbert was our 1 QB for that class all the way. We were only taking one QB. I suppose you can make the argument that once we started being unsure if Gabbert was still committed, we explored options like Carnes more seriously, and that we kept the channels open the whole time - but if Gabbert had stayed, Carnes would not be here.

I think you can go back through Taylor's recruitment thread and see that he was not a QB. And if we had more depth at that position, he wouldn't be now (wasn't he working at WR during bowl workouts?) In other words, he got a 'shot' just like Travis Lewis got a 'shot' at OU to be RB, or like Prince got a 'shot' at RB here. Our QB situation being what it is, he will have a longer look. I still think he'd be best as an all purpose guy, a wideout who stretches the field and runs the wildcat for us. If you're going by media attention, Leinart was also a Parade All-American and a 5-star QB recruit.

What's someone different? Someone that's less good at throwing but better at running? I think our offensive identity is really flexible about how good a QB is at running - but not about how good he is at throwing. He's got to be able to pass. If he runs like Crouch, outstanding. If he runs like Zac Taylor, well, that's OK too. As long as he puts up aerial production like Taylor and Ganz. I don't see how it makes the slightest sense for it to be the other way around.

Out of the guys you named - Spano is a 'dual threat' in the same way Zac Lee is a dual threat. Zac is probably plenty faster and more athletic too, even before the two ACL injuries. Carnes, while being athletic, is also a quarterback and not a project. Our passing QBs are Lee and then Spano/Carnes, with Green coming along after that. Green too, as we've seen, is no Tommie Frazier or Terrelle Pryor. He's being brought along as a passer and a field general, not as the next Vince Young, which he isn't. That leaves Turner, who is legit freak athlete at QB who COULD be a true dual-threat beast like Vick but is a project, and Marsh (a grayshirt DB) and Taylor (DB/WR recruit). Leaving out young Gabbert, who is athletic like his older brother but whose talent lies in his arm.

If you want to put stock in our recent recruiting, then you need to look at all the guys who were recruited and how they were recruited, not just the guys we ended up signing. In that case, you would see that we've gone after guys who are throwers and guys who are projects, making no 'transition to QBs who can't pass' as a future offensive identity.

I might add that our dozens of other recruits, including the linemen, receivers, etc, are not signing up for an old school Power I or wishbone or triple option or whatever scheme. We're not going back to the Osborne days and we don't have the pieces in place to run that kind of O. To go back to the option-left, option-right offense because we have to build an offense around someone who can't throw isn't fair to all of our talented receivers and pro-style OL. Not that it isn't fair, really, it just won't work. Zac Taylor and Joe Ganz were made by the same system.

• Fire 4