Jason Peter on the defense

JTrain

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090916/SPORTS/709179970

On Pelini being tough on the defense in his comments: “I think he has to be, because they aren't anywhere near. They just aren't. We had more intensity on a Thursday practice than they're showing now on game day. That's something that's a learned characteristic. They may think they're practicing and playing hard, but there's a lot more room for growth.''

Maybe this is too blunt for some tastes, but I have to unfortunately agree completely. Even Suh seems to give up on his rush when he gets stood up on certain plays. We need to light a fire under somebody, get pissed off, keep the motor running, etc. Attitude doesn't change overnight, I just hope Bo and staff are close to getting it where it needs to be. Suh and Asante are close... not sure about the rest. We need that front seven especially to approach every play with a nasty mentality, like it or not, "I'm gonna kick the sh#t outta someone on this play. And even if I don't make the tackle, I'm gonna make the guy trying to block me a little less enthusiastic for the next play."

Like I said, it's not going to happen overnight, but at least we can hope they take a big step towards being Blackshirts on Saturday. There couldn't be a better time for that step to take place.

:box:bonez

On the field, at least in College Football I thought Christian Peter was awesome. Maybe he had major issues off the field and probably could have died numerous times, but I think Christian Peter knows what constructive criticism is. I remember a Husker Video, I think it was A Day in the life of the Huskers, where Coach McBride is relentless towards a Defensive Player in practice because he isn't giving a full effort. "IF YOU MOVE ANY SLOWER YOUR HEART WILL STOP!" I'd much rather have a Coach who doesn't sugar coat everything and say, "We're excellent in all areas". Coach Pelini understands there is a lot of room for growth, and even if Nebraska has an awesome practice week, it has to happen out on the field of play too.

Every time I listen to Peter on The Spread I'm either nodding my head or shouting YES! The dude absolutely gets it, and why not? He's one of Nebraska's greatest down linemen ever, he was a team captain of one of the greatest defenses in college football history, and he was coached by one of the most brilliant DCs we'll ever have. If anyone understands what's going on, it's him.