Time for Serious Discussion

:dumdum

this is quickly turning into another whiner thread. I am afraid we can't have a good thread until after next weeks win.

There are positives to take from this game. the biggest one I see is the experience for the young guys. Namely, Lee. That was an incredibly tough place to operate. If you think Green was going to prevent 4 consecutive false starts you are crazy.

I think my biggest concern is the fact that we SORELY lack a big play guy at the WR position. That would have made the difference in this game. Mo P or Swift would have had an impact on this game.

Bell is blazing fast but he doesn't like to block... so Gilmore refuses to play him.

Kinnie is wet behind the ears, but he could be the best WR we have by some reports...

These guys need to look at the opportunity in front of them and dedicate themselves to taking their game to the level where they can see the field.

Wow, what a rollercoaster game. I stayed up all night watching it overseas. Even though we lost, I think that we will still be ok. Yesterday was tough for a lot of teams. I don't think that there will be an undefeated team win it all this year. I think Florida and Texas are both going to lose this year and hopefully Texas to us in the Big 12 Championship, but that could be the Kool-Aid talking. I know that they will be going through hell this week in practice and have a lot of things to get ironed out. I thought a couple play calls should have been different, but I have faith in our coaches, and I know they are doing what they think is right and that is why they are there. So we should suport them, not try to be coaches ourselves and bitch about it. I personally did want to see Burkhead take a few carries, I think that kid is going to be awesome. It's only a matter of time and he will be a star. So I will be coming home in a few days and have some time off to watch them take out some revenge on Louisiana. GBR

Discuss all you want, but there was only one call that mattered...you can't get the monkey off your back by punting when victory is only one yard away. bad call.

I disagree. If they were running up and down the field on 'em then, yes, you get that first. The correct decision was made. The defensive exectuion and play calling afterwards were questionable.

Yeah, take the risk of giving them good field position when your team has held them to just over 50 yards so far in the second half with 2:00 or so remaining? Please...VT had shown nothing whatsoever on offense in the second half. There was no reason to go for it.

that's exactly why he should have gone for the first down!! They had 40 yards on offense the entire second half, so it didn't really matter whether they had to go 60, 80 or 90 yards. but Bo showed no trust in his team, not in the offense to go one damn yard and not in the defense. he wanted that extra cushion of 20 or 30 yards because he apparently thought the D can't prevent VT from going 60. way to show confidence, go for the win and don't play not to lose for crying out loud. Bo blew this one and should take all the blame. The meassage he send to the team by not going for it is what cost us the game.

I would also add these questions

Why did Rex Burkhead not get even 1 single carry? Did Watson not trust him in the big game?

Why can our recievers not get seperation? It seems like every other team in America runs routes better and finds the openings. Yet big game after big game, our guys just can't seem to get open (and now can't seem to catch the ball either).

Why so much rotation on the o-line? We were dominating in stretches with the run, but the pass protection left a lot to be desired. Get a line together, and let them play.

Seriously? After the GREAT game Roy had . . . averaging 7 yards a carry . . . you want to take carries AWAY from him? Where is the logic in that? Find the hot hand . . . and run with it. Roy had the hot hand. Don't bother spreading carries when your back is running that well.

The thing to take from this game is that the Nebraska players still do not completely believe in themselves. The game was there for the taking, but they still do not have the killer instinct to shut the door.

Physically, they are fine. they are good athletes, and well coached. They just have to learn to win against good teams away from home.

The thing to take from this game is that the Nebraska players still do not completely believe in themselves. The game was there for the taking, but they still do not have the killer instinct to shut the door.

Physically, they are fine. they are good athletes, and well coached. They just have to learn to win against good teams away from home.

it's rather the coaches that don't believe otherwise they would have gone for the win

To add to the serious discussion:

1. Just what was the deal with the passing game yesterday? At one time Lee had 8 straight incompletions. I saw balls go through hands but also receivers having to stretch for them. Could Paul not get free from his coverage all day long? And if Lee throws that one pass to the inside of the field to the wide open receiver instead of making him go for a diving catch just inbounds on our last scoring drive we get a touchdown instead of a field goal. Heard the commentators on Big Red Reaction say it looked like Lee never got into a rhythm.

Just like your thoughts.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse dedhoarse dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse dedhoarse dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse dedhoarse

Perhaps you are correct that there is nothing that should be addressed about our miserable passing performance at VT. But you can bet that if we don't get it straightened out PDQ that cute scene will be Big 12 teams beating a rented mule. Major improvement is needed whether anyone mentions it on a message board or not.

Why did Rex Burkhead not get even 1 single carry? Did Watson not trust him in the big game?

Why can our recievers not get seperation? It seems like every other team in America runs routes better and finds the openings. Yet big game after big game, our guys just can't seem to get open (and now can't seem to catch the ball either).

Why so much rotation on the o-line? We were dominating in stretches with the run, but the pass protection left a lot to be desired. Get a line together, and let them play.

Seriously? After the GREAT game Roy had . . . averaging 7 yards a carry . . . you want to take carries AWAY from him? Where is the logic in that? Find the hot hand . . . and run with it. Roy had the hot hand. Don't bother spreading carries when your back is running that well.

AGREED...This is one of my biggest problem with fellow Husker fans. They fall madly in love with the backups and even after the starter has an amazing game against a perennial top 10 defense, they are still b!tching that the back up didn't get any carries...wtf?!? Get a clue...

I just want some intelligent conversation on what we saw.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Virginia Tech might be the worst offensive team I have ever seen from a BCS conference. The D played well, but how much was that the ineptitude of the opponent?

2. We left a lot of receivers open, does a Big 12 offense miss like Taylor did all afternoon?

3. We ran the ball well, but Va Tech isn't exactly a great run defense. How should we judge that?

4. We have a serious problem against a speed rush DE, don't you think? Our tackles looked bad.

5. Am I the only one who thinks this could be as big a positive as it was a disappointment?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

VT has the best run offense we will see all year. against the teams that can throw(t=tech, mizzou) we will not be in our base defense

I'm agree that Roy had an absolutely amazing game against a stout defense. There is no one that can deny that this defense is great. They have been consistently in the top 10 for the past years. What I think though is that there were times where Roy was absolutely gassed and they would take him out of the game. When they would put Burkhead in, they would automatically turn to the pass. I feel like in these situations, where the VT defense was winded (the commentators were even talking about how exhausted the defense was), if we would have just kept pounding with Rex, while Roy was catching wind, even for a play or 2, we would have been better off. I mean, obviously you dont move away from the hot hand, but giving him rest and STICKING WITH WHAT IS WORKING is a MUST!

:restore

AGREED...This is one of my biggest problem with fellow Husker fans. They fall madly in love with the backups and even after the starter has an amazing game against a perennial top 10 defense, they are still b!tching that the back up didn't get any carries...wtf?!? Get a clue...