Why did Husker fans hate Sal so much?

tmfr15

Here's my two cents about the Sal situation. I was close to the program back then. CU....er....McCartney made the NU game a big deal. We couldn't have cared less. Problem is, you combine him "circling" the date of the NU game in red, daughter getting pregnant and all the hype with his team, you had some intense hatred going on between the two schools.

I remember a friend of my wearing a colorado hat, which he drew an upside down cross on the front of it, with the statement..."I killed Sal". I told him if TO sees that, you might as well start running stadium steps now! It was ugly back then.

Yup that's it. The entire backfield was banging McCartney's daughter but she just KNEW the superstar was the baby daddy.

My favorite recollection is that McCartney's wife called Sal and told him "not to let the pregnancy or anything else distract him from his football playing."

After McCartney released his book on the Sal season I told everybody who'd listen it should have been subtitled "MY GRANDSON'S A BASTARD!"

It was McCartney who put the retarded Buffalo hate target on our back. Wasn't he the one who said he didn't care if they were 1-11 as long as that one win was over Nebraska?

After leaving CU McCartney either joined or founded Promise Keepers but eventually had to leave it after disclosing he had cheated on his wife some years earlier. Whenever someone at church tries to get me to attend one of those sham meetings I ALWAYS play the Bill McCartney card.

May that poor boy rest in peace, I wish his kid all the success he deserves ... and the McCartney's can rot in hell.

Wow. That's a lot of misplaced hatred you've got going on there.

Misplaced?

Misplaced.

Not a lot of hate ... more or less a recitation of facts from McCartney's heartwarming book (okay, maybe that rot in hell part isn't in his book).

And any animosity is put exactly where it belongs.

*refraining from posting*

Actually I'd like to hear what a Colorado fan has to say

I just fail to see the point of a thread mocking a young man whose life was cut short regardless of the logo on the side of his helmet.

I actually agree with you BeachBuffs. I wasn't old enough to know the player and personally I think that its sad that if in fact Husker fans did write "Sal is dead, Go Big Red" is pretty shameful on their end and I'm truely embarassed about it. Thats like having a Colorado fan writing something like "Berringer is dead, Go Buffs" like someone else said earlier in this post.

I don't think its funny and like I've said in the past that I'm honor that our Husker fans have been referred as "The greatest fans in College Football" and if this is true than that is a low blow to all of the other decent Husker fans out there and it hurts deeply.

Theres nothing funny about a young kid at the age of 21 to lose his life at such a young age and the fact that he's leaving behind a son who was only a few months old when Sal died.

Sal is Dead, Go Big Red!!!

Did this actually happen? I have heard it from CU fans, any body actually physically see it?

Did what happen?

Rumor has it that some Husker fans painted that on the overpass on the interstate after he died???

I don't know all the details and if it really happened.

people do dumb stuff with the overpasses... mizzou likes to hang little phaggy cardboard signs of tiger heads and paw prints along I-29 when they get a win and know the travelling fans will see them on their way home... at least they did when I went to mizzou a few years ago. I guess they found out about the internet recently, so I am not sure what they do these days.

I just fail to see the point of a thread mocking a young man whose life was cut short regardless of the logo on the side of his helmet.

I actually agree with you BeachBuffs. I wasn't old enough to know the player and personally I think that its sad that if in fact Husker fans did write "Sal is dead, Go Big Red" is pretty shameful on their end and I'm truely embarassed about it. Thats like having a Colorado fan writing something like "Berringer is dead, Go Buffs" like someone else said earlier in this post.

I don't think its funny and like I've said in the past that I'm honor that our Husker fans have been referred as "The greatest fans in College Football" and if this is true than that is a low blow to all of the other decent Husker fans out there and it hurts deeply.

Theres nothing funny about a young kid at the age of 21 to lose his life at such a young age and the fact that he's leaving behind a son who was only a few months old when Sal died.

The most popular misconception out there is that the team you root for either guils you or somehow makes you innocent, you are either an ass hat or not an asshat. Fortunately I believe that most people are good people and refuse to lump the asshats in with people that are good. There are those however that do like to do that and I think they are no better then the asshats they accuse.

The most popular misconception out there is that the team you root for either guils you or somehow makes you innocent, you are either an ass hat or not an asshat. Fortunately I believe that most people are good people and refuse to lump the asshats in with people that are good. There are those however that do like to do that and I think they are no better then the asshats they accuse.

Couldn't have said it better if I said it myself!

Not a lot of hate ... more or less a recitation of facts from McCartney's heartwarming book (okay, maybe that rot in hell part isn't in his book).

And any animosity is put exactly where it belongs.

Maybe it was just me the other day, but it seemed like you were pretty angry at a guy whose biggest claim to fame for us is his coaching of a conference opponent.

One guy, one group of guys, one carload of guys wearing Husker gear painting "Sal is dead, Go Big Red" doesn't make the entirety of our fan base bad. The SI article paints the Huskers in a really poor light, putting that line at the feet of our players and fans, when I can just about guarantee you that the whole football team and the vast majority of our fans would have kicked the hell out of any "Husker fan" we caught making that sign. That's what's really stupid about the whole thing. Presuming it happened, it's about 180 degrees opposite of what our team is about.

One guy, one group of guys, one carload of guys wearing Husker gear painting "Sal is dead, Go Big Red" doesn't make the entirety of our fan base bad. The SI article paints the Huskers in a really poor light, putting that line at the feet of our players and fans, when I can just about guarantee you that the whole football team and the vast majority of our fans would have kicked the hell out of any "Husker fan" we caught making that sign. That's what's really stupid about the whole thing. Presuming it happened, it's about 180 degrees opposite of what our team is about.

I for one can guarantee if I'd seen someone doing something like that, they would've paid for it. Absolutely disrespectful in every way and it's unfortunate that it happened.

RIP Sal

• 9 years later...