Can we put a fork in Colorado now?

Twodocs

That is so true. In all honesty I don't understand why and how they are so bad. Yes it's true their fans are almost non-existent and the university doesn't support them like they should. But, come on. How can they be really as bad as they are.

They are so bad that they are almost ISU or KSU like.

Remember the BC era, its pretty much the same with hawkins......they'll kick him lose, get a good coach, and we'll have turkey day games as exciting as last years hopefully forever.

CU can not afford to fire Hawkins during this season or anytime soon it would appear.

From article

"The school's total liability could approach $3 million under the terms of the deal if any partial year was prorated in a buyout. If the buyout was limited to three years, it would cost CU no more than $2,550,000. "

additionally

"The athletic department remains in deeply in debt with the majority of an $8 million loan from the campus and the CU system in 2006 still to be paid off. Part of that debt was caused by the last coaching change when Bohn fired Gary Barnett at the end of the 2005 season and hired Hawkins. "

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_13329737

I heard Lee Barknecht on the radio a couple weeks ago talking about how, ya they are in debt, but if you take into account the amount of season ticket holders who would drop their tickets and the revenue that would be lost to the football program that you could take that estimated amount (which would be around 3.5 million by university estimates) and that would cover his buy out. So in all reality, if they keep him, they likely lose as much or more next year and that's just next year, not to mention the years after in trying to get the season tickets sold again. But he is a Big 12 writer and not in Boulder, so I would tend to believe the Boulder reporter more.... Just food for thought.

remember all the excitement about hawkins after his second or 3rd yr, so much that they extended his contract to 2013? It takes time to evaluate your HC, why all this talk about Bo is puzzling, as he hasn't won anything yet nor beat anyone of consequence, with your best game an morale victory against a good not grt team? Give him time, he could be good or he could be bad. He wasn't a top candidate when he was hired, not like he was a proven name head coach with a track record. hiring assitants sometimes works, sometimes not so much.

By end of yr you will know a lot about him. Is this D what you perceive it to by, or what other observers think? Can he recruit, that is the alpha and omega of college coaching, didn't have a good summer, time remains to upgrade. Opinions vary right now outside of the faithful.

The only reason I can give for CU being so bad is they have absolutely zero team speed what so ever. Even Toledo made them extremely slow. It's almost like their players are wearing cement shoes out there. I know the talent was way down when Hawkins got there, but I thought he was doing a much better job at filling the cupboard.

Remember this,

"The worst day as a buffalo is still better than the best day as a cornhusker!"

I bet he wishes he was a cornhusker now.....

Before long his house will be for sale like this one in Lincoln guess who this may be owned by?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-...8461_1112822790

Billy C?

Yep. That's Callafraud's house.

True. Watching CU play I wouldn't put them on TV at all. Not even Public Access TV.

I would agree, but last night's game was their third nationally-televised game of the year. In addition, they finish out with OK State on ESPN and Nebraska on ABC, for a minimum of five nationally televised games this year. Shocking, considering how horrible they are.

That is so true. In all honesty I don't understand why and how they are so bad. Yes it's true their fans are almost non-existent and the university doesn't support them like they should. But, come on. How can they be really as bad as they are.

Remember the BC era, its pretty much the same with hawkins......they'll kick him lose, get a good coach, and we'll have turkey day games as exciting as last years hopefully forever.

CU can not afford to fire Hawkins during this season or anytime soon it would appear.

From article

"The school's total liability could approach $3 million under the terms of the deal if any partial year was prorated in a buyout. If the buyout was limited to three years, it would cost CU no more than $2,550,000. "

additionally

"The athletic department remains in deeply in debt with the majority of an $8 million loan from the campus and the CU system in 2006 still to be paid off. Part of that debt was caused by the last coaching change when Bohn fired Gary Barnett at the end of the 2005 season and hired Hawkins. "

I read that too, pretty much he's a lame duck till his contract is up.....you know they will probably try to find a loop hole or something to get out of it, or maybe a booster will step in and take care of the money thing. keeping him is sure to cost more then it would to fire him.

with that being said, it would be interesting to see coach hawkins turn it around due to being forced to keep him.

With Cu having it's best chance at a conference or division win on the road at manhattan and ISU which they could lose bothand be ofer in conference play, makes me think back to this summers postings on this and other husker boards where they wer discounting MU as a opponent and were all worried about CU? I retorted that CU was terrible and Hawkins not a big 12 worthy coach. So much for perceptions based on long ago glory. You have to see what your team is allabout today.

Wonder how old Phil Steele is doing these days after predicting a NU win and KSU and CU ahead of both KU and MU? How is that working for you phil? Or all the husker posters who place a big weight on his prognostications?

Just like pre season poll's its a mute point....grats on being right btw :clap

From article

additionally

I heard Lee Barknecht on the radio a couple weeks ago talking about how, ya they are in debt, but if you take into account the amount of season ticket holders who would drop their tickets and the revenue that would be lost to the football program that you could take that estimated amount (which would be around 3.5 million by university estimates) and that would cover his buy out. So in all reality, if they keep him, they likely lose as much or more next year and that's just next year, not to mention the years after in trying to get the season tickets sold again. But he is a Big 12 writer and not in Boulder, so I would tend to believe the Boulder reporter more.... Just food for thought.

Ok so lets say they do fire Hawkins...do they pull an NU and fire the AD. After all he was the one who started all this and put all his faith/career into Hawkins by giving him that extension. I'm sure the fluffolo faithful is calling for his head also. So now you have a buy out times two, and who do you replace him with. Go for a big fish like Watson and pay big bucks or go for a little lesser/experienced HC like good ol' Gill. For the life of me who would be even concidered for AD?!?

remember all the excitement about hawkins after his second or 3rd yr, so much that they extended his contract to 2013? It takes time to evaluate your HC, why all this talk about Bo is puzzling, as he hasn't won anything yet nor beat anyone of consequence, with your best game an morale victory against a good not grt team? Give him time, he could be good or he could be bad. He wasn't a top candidate when he was hired, not like he was a proven name head coach with a track record. hiring assitants sometimes works, sometimes not so much.

By end of yr you will know a lot about him. Is this D what you perceive it to by, or what other observers think? Can he recruit, that is the alpha and omega of college coaching, didn't have a good summer, time remains to upgrade. Opinions vary right now outside of the faithful.

I figure Hawkins will have to make some changes in the coaching staff to help with the head hunters and to help get that defense jump started. Maybe even a new strength and conditioning coach if its true about them looking so slow compaired to other teams. It will be really interesting to see how the rest of this season pans out for them and what happens post Turkey Day.

Hawkins is 14-27 (8-16)

Billy C was 27-22 (15-17) 1 division title and 1 bowl win

So if we are comparing based on record then Hawkins is a bigger failure. They were 1 – 1 against each other though.

Thats like compairing athletes in the special olympics... <_<

BTW I fully suport the special olympics and have sponsored numerous kids in events around the world for that event. It was a great time and those kids are better champions than some overpaid cry babies we idolize on TV. ;)

If you think thay are bad now, just wait. When people were on their bandwagon at the end of last year, I said they have ZERO depth on both lines and would struggle mightily with little talent in the program.

These guys have ZERO DTs on the team and very few DEs worth noting. They are just terribly thin in all areas and lacking talent across the board.

Even if they could afford to fire him(and they can't), it wouldn't make any sense. The next coach inherits a terrible situation and struggles as well.

They don't have a Donor base to speak of so I wouldn't worry about donations falling off. They are better off riding it out for the next 3 years. I think they STILL owe Boise money on his buyout there as well.