#7 Nebraska at #19 Baylor, Wednesday 10/14/2009

Funny story about Baylor...

After they lost 3-1 at home by Texas A&M on Saturday, the Baylor assistant coach is disallowing a particular line judge from working any more Baylor matches because he calls "too fair of a game and calls don't lean towards Baylor's way". There was a specific call in the fourth set that he was upset about. (Note that the call was not overruled by the up or down ref at the match so it could not have been too glaring of an error.)

This same judge was asked just a couple of weeks ago to be line judge at the NCAA Tournament and he has received praise from multiple refs who have worked with him.

After they lost 3-1 at home by Texas A&M on Saturday, the Baylor assistant coach is disallowing a particular line judge from working any more Baylor matches because he calls "too fair of a game and calls don't lean towards Baylor's way". There was a specific call in the fourth set that he was upset about. (Note that the call was not overruled by the up or down ref at the match so it could not have been too glaring of an error.)

This same judge was asked just a couple of weeks ago to be line judge at the NCAA Tournament and he has received praise from multiple refs who have worked with him.

Where does this story come from?

Where does this story come from?

I am a volleyball coach and I heard it in passing from a club contact of mine (more in touch with the scene than I am) at practice on Tuesday...then the same story popped up on a local volleyball board this morning with more details that I had heard. The line judge has worked Baylor matches regularly but not last night. Admittedly, the "too fair of a game" line may not have been an exact quote from the Baylor assistant. :-) I think the general feeling from the coach though was the guy usually made close calls against Baylor.

The refs are provided by the league but the line judges are not, they are hired by the school and are often local HS or USAV volleyball refs who are just not certified to ref at the NCAA level. If the school wanted to start using different line judges, it would really be up to them.

I did not see the call in question but I heard the the Baylor team was pretty vocal about it at the time.