West Coast Offense?!?!

First off, I want to say that I'm glad that the Husker Nation stands behind the hiring of Bill Callahan and has faith in Steve Pederson decision. Nothing stinks more than dissention within the ranks, but that's what I'm about to do. Everyone wants the west coast offense, everyone says that the option game can't work anymore, but I beg to differ. Think about our offensive package these past two seasons. Then, think about our package the last couple of seasons under Tom Osborne. How many different plays did we run this past year and out of how many different formations? I dare to say that our offensive package these past years has been the most vanilla package in the recent Husker era (late-Osborne through present). I propose that we don't need a west coast offense, we just need to open up our playbooks and use our imagination a little. Add new formations, bring back some of the classics (wing-T?), mix it up a little bit. The option game can still work in college football, it just has to be more balanced, with a quarterback who is a threat to throw the football at the helm. A conversion to the west coast offense guarantees that the next few seasons will not be pretty. First off, we do not have the personnel for a west coast offense and, sadly, Callahan will not be able to bring those athletes in this year. Running a west coast offense with option game personnel does not equal winning. Steve Pederson says he wants to become relevant in the Big 12 again. Stick with what got you there, Steve.

And, not that you care, here is what I think of the hiring of Callahan. Callahan (and apparently everyone but me) wants to bring in the west coast offense, and we already know what I think about that. I know that he is ranked as one of the top recruiters of all time, but how long has it been since he recruited? I know that he will bring in some people because he has coached at the pro level. But what's his pitch going to be: I went to the Super Bowl two years ago and lost? Oh yeah, then I went 4-12 with the same personnel? Not to mention the insubordination of his players this past season. I don't think that a four-time Pro Bowl corner saying that he has lost control of the team bodes well for Nebraska football. "Why not Pelini?" some would say. Well, there was that little, but totally unnecessary penalty during the Alamo Bowl. I'm afraid that is not the image we want our head football coach to portray. He is a great defensive coordinator and I will be sad to see him leave, if, in fact, that is what he chooses to do. But, then again, if he does choose to leave, that just shows me that he is not dedicated to the program, and I'll be glad that we didn't choose him to lead us into the future. And if he goes to Oklahoma, I'll hate him forever (but that's beside the point). Nebraska football has a long tradition of promoting from within, so where was Turner Gill's fair shake in all of this mess? Who could be better for recruiting Nebraska football players than one of the greatest athletes who played the game? Some have said that he hasn't done his job with Jamal Lord. Critics shout, "Shouldn't Jamal Lord have become a better passer in five years under Turner?" The truth is, anyone who has watched Jamal Lord throw the football can see that he was not, is not, and never will be a passer. He was a great athlete, and I'm not trying to take anything away from what he has done, but does anyone remember the Independence Bowl? He couldn't hit wide open receivers, he threw ten yard routes three yards short without any pressure. Now does anyone remember the Alamo Bowl? It seems to me that he threw some pretty good passes. Sure, there were some that weren't so great, but for the most part he passed well. My point is that he got better. Thank you, Turner Gill. I believe that Turner gives our beloved program the best chance to become relevant now, rather than three years from now, and I believe that it will be a horrific tragedy if he is forced to leave the program.

Now, having said all that, when we go 12-0 and win the national championship this next year, I will properly insert my foot in my mouth and enjoy the taste of victory.

Welcome Husker 4 life,

I love the option more than any other play. The greatest invention ever, but you can't live on it anymore. Players are too fast and college defenses are more like the NFL everyday.

I'm excited for this offense because, as a coach myself, it will be interesting to learn something new. Callahan is maticulous in his studies. He doesn't and won't need to take classes on how to lead a team.

I say bring it on

Yes welcome to the fold husker4life. But Im not sure "everyone" on here is for the WCO as you said.

we've had some earlier discussions about this, but thanks for bringing it up again b/c its a good topic and you bring up some good points.

Here are some points from earlier discussions that might interest you

ARHusker

What is worrisome about the West Coast offense is, as I see it, twofold. First, you have to "retool" the offensive line - convert it from a run-oriented group to a pass-blocking group. That's a tough transition, even assuming the members of the offensive line are the type of players that would excell in that type of blocking.

Second, the West Coast offense functions well when it has a quarterback who can read the defense quickly, and get the ball to the open man in short order. They don't have to be the strongest arm in the world, but they have to be quick decision-makers. It always seemed to me that the quarterbacks who excelled in that offense were "passing" quarterbacks from the time they started playing the position. Those that aren't seem to not have the feel for the passing game, passing lanes, and openings in the defense that is necessary to make it work. I may be wrong, but I don't see anyone on the roster that fits the bill.

My response to him

I agree AR. this will require a HUGE overall and complete change from top to bottom of the program. not something you do in the off season. let alone a few yrs.

Im hoping BC was just "recruiting" when he said that. I dont think he's lying, but I really hope he means "west coast" in the sense of putting some new wrinkles into the scheme, but continuing to concentrate on smashmouth fball. think about how effective the option would be in this system. I know we wouldnt be near as good at it b/c of less repetition, but teams would be on their heels all day. Im sure he mainly means he plans to recruit QBs that can pass first and run first if he needs to. I see Joe Dailey as this type of guy.

Doesnt Green Bay run the WC offense? AG still seems to be the focus, so it cant be that bad.

that make you feel a little better?

rc

Glad to see this discussion. BRM actually set up a thread in the 'offense' forum, but since it's already going here pretty good I'll just copy our stuff over.

BigRedMachine:

Lets get a disussion going here about the pros and cons you guys see with the evolution of the WCO at NU.

Here are some topics to get the brain snynapses warmed up:

-Is BC for real about a full integration, or is this just "recruiting gloss"?

-Will he maintain focus on the powerhouse game, with flashes of West Coast?

-How long will it take to integrate?

-What impact will this have on recruiting, in-state and otherwise?

-Will it impact local highschools?

-Nebraska kids are traditionally known for a smashmouth style, and not usually highly recruited by schools outside of the state, and this has been one of our edges - the walk-ons/Rudy's. Will BC still embrace that?

-FL, TX, and Cali get all the cred for being the "speed states". With NU going towards the WCO, is the "Nebraska styled athlete" being phased out of football?

Or any other topics on your mind. Bring it.

Me:

Interesting. Well at least Mortensen thinks Callahan can make the WCO work at NU LJS: Motensen believes Callahan's offense will work at Nebraska

Just one guys opinion, but he is pretty revered as a good analyst on ESPN, so it's better than the alternative.

Im not exactly thrilled about it either H4L, but it seems like its here whether we like it or not, a la the coaching change, so we may as well support it and in the process see if we cant learn something. But you guys have provided some good counterpoints, so Im glad to see Husker Nation isnt just laying down under the WC train, as I would never expect to see.

Blackshirt

seriously folks. we are NOT ready for the west coast offense. i dont care how "sexy" it sounds to us or recruits. most all of the guys we have in the system now were recruited to play in the option I back offense. so why would top notch "WCO" players come here in the next 4 yrs knowing we wont run the thing effectively for 5?

just 2 more words should sum it up: Notre dame

Blackshirt said

-Will it impact local highschools?

-Nebraska kids are traditionally known for a smashmouth style, and not usually highly recruited by schools outside of the state, and this has been one of our edges - the walk-ons/Rudy's. Will BC still embrace that?

It most certainly will. Coaches are going to be fairly excited too. To be honest though, many of the older coaches are not going to go over to it for numerous reasons.

SOme of the younger ones yes, but one of the downfalls of course is that it is difficult to learn this stuff. All the coaches have grown up on I backfield and Iso's and option. Players can't do if the coach doesn't teach.

Believe me the coaches will go out of their way to help any coach out. They will hold numerous coaches clinics all spring to teach this. On the high school staff I work on, Barney Cotton gave my head coach his buisness card and said anytime you need something don't be afraid to give me a call. This is not everyone, but the coaches are helpful. There not stupid. They know they need to keep the in state kids.

The University plays a crucial role in the development of Nebraska's athletes.

Most people place a lot of significance on the fact that skilled position recruits like the West Coast offense. But...let's assume you are in fact one of those people. Most likely, you hearld from Florida, California, Texas, and so forth. Why would you go out of state to a school when so many schools in your region also run it?

Let's be honest...for a lot of recruits coming from urban areas in warm weather states, there is little or no interest in moving to a rural, cold-weather state. They want bright lights, warm weather, beaches and the like.

Couple that with the fact that you have to be able to move the ball on the ground when the weather is bad, and I don't see a relience on the West Coast offense as being something that benefits Nebraska.

I still think Nebraska needs to stick with some kind of option attack, or at least some form of power football. Yes, some diversification is good and necessary - helps keep defenses honest, to a degree. But I have to wonder if making this switch really will help in recruiting.

• 1 year later...
Most people place a lot of significance on the fact that skilled position recruits like the West Coast offense. But...let's assume you are in fact one of those people. Most likely, you hearld from Florida, California, Texas, and so forth. Why would you go out of state to a school when so many schools in your region also run it?

Let's be honest...for a lot of recruits coming from urban areas in warm weather states, there is little or no interest in moving to a rural, cold-weather state. They want bright lights, warm weather, beaches and the like.

Couple that with the fact that you have to be able to move the ball on the ground when the weather is bad, and I don't see a relience on the West Coast offense as being something that benefits Nebraska.

I still think Nebraska needs to stick with some kind of option attack, or at least some form of power football. Yes, some diversification is good and necessary - helps keep defenses honest, to a degree. But I have to wonder if making this switch really will help in recruiting.

I think this has turned out to be true

the west coast offense, at least the hybrid versions that are run today, does not neccesarily exclude smashmouth football. People seem to forget that as an offensive coordinator, Callahan manged to have the Raiders lead the NFL in rushing yards. As far as further intergrating the option into today's college football, it simply doesnt work on a consistant basis anymore. Defenses are too fast and strong safeties are to good. The only teams that run the option anymore are low and mid level college teams that dont compete against strong competion. Utilizing the quarterback in the running game is still a good idea, but I dont understand the hang up on this one, outdated, ineffective play. It doesnt work anymore, neither does the statue of liberty. Get over it.

The option will not work anymore... even if we have the right type of players in position. The option is dead not because of the lack of offesive players suited for the option playbook, but because the overall speed of defensive squads is just too overwhelming for an option attack. Since the option is a slow developing play, nowadays you have big ol' d linemen chasing the qb down from behind. teams like miami and FSU have just too much speed to run the option against. Yea it will work against teams like Baylor and Kansas but not once we get to the bowl games. We had to make the switch.

First off, I want to say that I'm glad that the Husker Nation stands behind the hiring of Bill Callahan and has faith in Steve Pederson decision. Nothing stinks more than dissention within the ranks, but that's what I'm about to do. Everyone wants the west coast offense, everyone says that the option game can't work anymore, but I beg to differ. Think about our offensive package these past two seasons. Then, think about our package the last couple of seasons under Tom Osborne. How many different plays did we run this past year and out of how many different formations? I dare to say that our offensive package these past years has been the most vanilla package in the recent Husker era (late-Osborne through present). I propose that we don't need a west coast offense, we just need to open up our playbooks and use our imagination a little. Add new formations, bring back some of the classics (wing-T?), mix it up a little bit. The option game can still work in college football, it just has to be more balanced, with a quarterback who is a threat to throw the football at the helm. A conversion to the west coast offense guarantees that the next few seasons will not be pretty. First off, we do not have the personnel for a west coast offense and, sadly, Callahan will not be able to bring those athletes in this year. Running a west coast offense with option game personnel does not equal winning. Steve Pederson says he wants to become relevant in the Big 12 again. Stick with what got you there, Steve.

And, not that you care, here is what I think of the hiring of Callahan. Callahan (and apparently everyone but me) wants to bring in the west coast offense, and we already know what I think about that. I know that he is ranked as one of the top recruiters of all time, but how long has it been since he recruited? I know that he will bring in some people because he has coached at the pro level. But what's his pitch going to be: I went to the Super Bowl two years ago and lost? Oh yeah, then I went 4-12 with the same personnel? Not to mention the insubordination of his players this past season. I don't think that a four-time Pro Bowl corner saying that he has lost control of the team bodes well for Nebraska football. "Why not Pelini?" some would say. Well, there was that little, but totally unnecessary penalty during the Alamo Bowl. I'm afraid that is not the image we want our head football coach to portray. He is a great defensive coordinator and I will be sad to see him leave, if, in fact, that is what he chooses to do. But, then again, if he does choose to leave, that just shows me that he is not dedicated to the program, and I'll be glad that we didn't choose him to lead us into the future. And if he goes to Oklahoma, I'll hate him forever (but that's beside the point). Nebraska football has a long tradition of promoting from within, so where was Turner Gill's fair shake in all of this mess? Who could be better for recruiting Nebraska football players than one of the greatest athletes who played the game? Some have said that he hasn't done his job with Jamal Lord. Critics shout, "Shouldn't Jamal Lord have become a better passer in five years under Turner?" The truth is, anyone who has watched Jamal Lord throw the football can see that he was not, is not, and never will be a passer. He was a great athlete, and I'm not trying to take anything away from what he has done, but does anyone remember the Independence Bowl? He couldn't hit wide open receivers, he threw ten yard routes three yards short without any pressure. Now does anyone remember the Alamo Bowl? It seems to me that he threw some pretty good passes. Sure, there were some that weren't so great, but for the most part he passed well. My point is that he got better. Thank you, Turner Gill. I believe that Turner gives our beloved program the best chance to become relevant now, rather than three years from now, and I believe that it will be a horrific tragedy if he is forced to leave the program.

Now, having said all that, when we go 12-0 and win the national championship this next year, I will properly insert my foot in my mouth and enjoy the taste of victory.

Hey H4L;

I agree with your comment about the "vanilla" offense. I really think Callahan has to experiment and be creative with his offense and find what will work with the players he has. But that does take some time. And that is what we, as fans, will have to give him for him to have a fair shake at it. There was a difference with TO running the same "vanilla" plays: They would work eventually, or the opponent would be so tired from stopping it after 2 or 3 quarters, they just didn't have the energy to continue doing it. So that is what Callahan will have to search for. Find what works with who he has, and be creative at the same time.

I don't really agree with your "insubordination" comment. In Oakland, I can't imagine having to deal with high-priced egos every day. And with NU, well, I look at it this way: Say what you want to about Solich, but these players all developed a relationship with him on some level. Imagine being miles away from home, and the man you looked to for insight and leadership was suddenly your coach, not your dad, if you even had one. Then someone told you, I'm sorry, your "dad" is no longer wanted here, here is a new one. Follow him instead. That would probably be alot to ask. I doubt Cally could do alot about that type of situation with many of the players. Just my $.02