The 'Booing' Topic

Landlord

"Griping" about players and spanking your children are not even close to being accurate analogies in my opinion.

Criticizing a player's play because he hasn't been putting forth effort, or isn't playing as well as he could, is completely warranted and I am totally fine with that, as long as what you are desiring from your criticism is for that player to start being more successful, not to tear him down and let him know how poorly he's doing just for the sake of being cruel.

Spanking your kid is to teach a lesson and let the child grow from it, because they have committed a wrong, and in most cases, because they knew they were in the wrong but did it anyways (spanking a kid for a mistake or for doing something they were unaware was bad is pretty questionable to me).

Booing players is neither of these things. It is a purposefully disrespectful act designed to let them know that you think badly of them. If it was to give the player encouragement to do better you could replace it with a "Come on now, let's get it going!" or "You need to make something happen here" or whatever fancies you. Instead, it's more along the lines of "Wow you are worthless and not worth my time." which I can't see resulting in anything positive.

If you think that it is justified because it is human nature to be selfish or a jerk or whatever then that is fine, it's your opinion, but mine is that we should hold ourselves to the highest standard we can, and that there are plenty of legitimate alternatives to booing that have a much better result.

The analogy isn't 1:1. No analogy ever is. It's a mechanism to move the conversation along. Let's not twist the tears from our hankies because the analogy isn't perfect.

Discuss the topic. Don't attack the analogy.

Now, presuming that the ONLY message you could take from a boo is "you're worthless," is just silly. It's a hand-wringing response that has no merit in the conversation.

I'll ask again - what is an appropriate, effective way to convey displeasure in the play of the team?

The analogy isn't 1:1. No analogy ever is. It's a mechanism to move the conversation along. Let's not twist the tears from our hankies because the analogy isn't perfect.

Now, presuming that the ONLY message you could take from a boo is "you're worthless," is just silly. It's a hand-wringing response that has no merit in the conversation.

I'll ask again - what is an appropriate, effective way to convey displeasure in the play of the team?

Convey to who, exactly? To the players? I don't think you need to worry about that, the media and coaching staff do plenty of that (especially having Bo as a head coach).

Convey to who, exactly? To the players? I don't think you need to worry about that, the media and coaching staff do plenty of that (especially having Bo as a head coach).

Wrong. Not only do I need to do that, I have an obligation to do that. You want to talk about abrogating your responsibility as a fan, it's not booing, it's failing to hold the team accountable for what you, they and everyone involved claims to believe in. That is the worst failure the fans can do. And people here are advocating it, vociferously.

And no, not just the players. The coaches, too. I don't care how self-motivated Bo is, he needs constant feedback. If you're married, try not telling your wife that you love her for the next ten years. Sure, she should know you do, but that constant feedback is important, crucial, to the relationship. And there are times when you don't like what's going on in your marriage, and if that's the case, you owe it to yourself and your spouse to put your two cents in, because if you don't, and that ship goes under, you're just as much to blame for that lack of communication.

We had a coach who didn't follow any of the tenets of our team. He was an unmitigated disaster, and the fans let him and the players know that it was not acceptable. He refused to change his style, so he was removed. That feedback from the fans, from booing to leaving the stadium empty by halftime, was important to making positive steps, no matter how painful.

Like I said - I don't boo the players and I won't. But I understand why people do, and I can't say they're wrong, as long as the only thing they do is say "boo." Step beyond that and we're having a very different discussion. But "boo" is not over the top, or inappropriate.

If you consider yourself part of Husker Nation, if you wear RED on game days, if you drive to Lincoln for a game, if you tailgate and have a great time pre-game, if you are lucky and find tickets, if you are even luckier and have season tickets, if the hair on the back of your neck stands up when you hear the tunnel walk start, and if you should even think about booing these kids who work their asses off for this team, this University, this state then you need to simply

S-T-F-U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T_O_B

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

I have the opinion that a husker fan should absolutely never boo a husker player.

I personally will never boo a husker player.

I will however definitely boo the refs, an opposing player (for dirty plays or penalties) and occasionally coaching decisions that dont make a whole lot of sense( punting when we need to go for it).

It makes no sense to boo our own players. Why break them down so they dont feel like playing anymore? Do we want our players to give up and never have any hope of coming back to win when were down in the 4th qrtr?

Also imagine recruits coming to lincoln hearing 85000 fans booing their own team. how many guys are going to want to come play here knowing that their fans will jump all over them when things arent going perfectly?

So instead of booing at bad plays lets make some positive noise for the next play and GBR!

If you consider yourself part of Husker Nation, if you wear RED on game days, if you drive to Lincoln for a game, if you tailgate and have a great time pre-game, if you are lucky and find tickets, if you are even luckier and have season tickets, if the hair on the back of your neck stands up when you hear the tunnel walk start, and if you should even think about booing these kids who work their asses off for this team, this University, this state then you need to simply

T_O_B

I have the opinion that a husker fan should absolutely never boo a husker player.

I will however definitely boo the refs, an opposing player (for dirty plays or penalties) and occasionally coaching decisions that dont make a whole lot of sense( punting when we need to go for it).

It makes no sense to boo our own players. Why break them down so they dont feel like playing anymore? Do we want our players to give up and never have any hope of coming back to win when were down in the 4th qrtr?

Also imagine recruits coming to lincoln hearing 85000 fans booing their own team. how many guys are going to want to come play here knowing that their fans will jump all over them when things arent going perfectly?

So instead of booing at bad plays lets make some positive noise for the next play and GBR!

:wtf

When I complain against booing, I'm not saying to strip everyone of their freedom of speech. And on the complete opposite side of the spectrum, I'm not going to on some PC babble about protecting people's feelings.

But I will say that booing shows lack of dignity and respect. My opinion on problems in our country is me calling it as I see it. People just don't care about anyone but themselves. Are you the kind of person that chews out a store employee to get what you want? Would you just as well speed up your car, as let the person with their turn signal into your lane? What did you do today to make a stranger happy? Boo them when they dropped a pass, or had a bad game, or called the wrong play?

I like to think I treat others how I want to be treated. And to me, booing is not a part of my vocabulary. I can't and won't tell you not to boo, only that I don't like it when you do. Boo hoo. There ya go, have fun with that.

Here's something for you to chew on though. Read it. Think about it. Then read it again and then think about it again.

Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

NU players not playing like they are supposed to shows a lack of dignity and respect towards the NU Football program and its history of success and domination.

I actually agree with Vince. <_<

:laughpound

I have no problem with this team losing as long as they are playing hard and showing that they want to win. On Saturday, the offense just flat out did not look like they wanted to win. They looked like they expected TT to bow down to their will and let them score all over the place.

And I even type slow for your benefit. I'm glad to see it's starting to work. :clap

<_<

When I complain against booing, I'm not saying to strip everyone of their freedom of speech. And on the complete opposite side of the spectrum, I'm not going to on some PC babble about protecting people's feelings.

But I will say that booing shows lack of dignity and respect. My opinion on problems in our country is me calling it as I see it. People just don't care about anyone but themselves. Are you the kind of person that chews out a store employee to get what you want? Would you just as well speed up your car, as let the person with their turn signal into your lane? What did you do today to make a stranger happy? Boo them when they dropped a pass, or had a bad game, or called the wrong play?

I like to think I treat others how I want to be treated. And to me, booing is not a part of my vocabulary. I can't and won't tell you not to boo, only that I don't like it when you do. Boo hoo. There ya go, have fun with that.

Here's something for you to chew on though. Read it. Think about it. Then read it again and then think about it again.

Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

NU players not playing like they are supposed to shows a lack of dignity and respect towards the NU Football program and its history of success and domination.

I have no problem with this team losing as long as they are playing hard and showing that they want to win. On Saturday, the offense just flat out did not look like they wanted to win. They looked like they expected TT to bow down to their will and let them score all over the place.

And I even type slow for your benefit. I'm glad to see it's starting to work. :clap

<_<

<_<

Regardless to what people may say about who the collective fans were booing for. They can only speak for themselves. They cannot definitively say why anyone else was booing.

Consider this:

If one person starts to boo, then someone else joins in, how is the second and following Boo-ers to know the reason for Boo-er 1's boos. As easily as it is assumed that all of the reactionary Boo-ers we booing becuase of the officials; it can also be assumed that at least some of the reactionary Boo-ers might have been booing becuase they thought the initial Boo-er was booing becuase of the bad play on the field.

Regardless to what people may say about who the collective fans were booing for. They can only speak for themselves. They cannot definitively say why anyone else was booing.

Consider this:

If one person starts to boo, then someone else joins in, how is the second and following Boo-ers to know the reason for Boo-er 1's boos. As easily as it is assumed that all of the reactionary Boo-ers we booing becuase of the officials; it can also be assumed that at least some of the reactionary Boo-ers might have been booing becuase the thought the initial Boo-er was booing becuase of the bad play on the field.

Regardless of who the booers were booing, their booishness was being booed because of the booish situation on the field. Did the Refs deserve the booing? Did the coaches? Did the players? Who knows? All I know is, whether the booing was booed at the original boo targets or there was collateral booing damage booed down on the players or the coaches (or the refs, if the booing was being booed at the players), it doesn't matter. Boos were booed, and booing is not boorish, it's boo-tiful.

T_O_B

:yeah

:yeah

Right. And while we're at it, let's make sure all the drill sergeants stop shouting at our brave men and women in the armed forces if they screw up during basic. After all, only POSITIVE feedback is appropriate for our troops.

And let's make sure parents never discipline their kids when they're naughty or skip school or wreck the car, because our kids are precious, and only POSITIVE feedback is necessary to raise them.

And let's make sure that our supervisors in the workplace never give bad reviews when workers screw up, because only POSITIVE reviews help workers do better.

Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya and and give the players great big hugs when they lay a huge egg on the field like last Saturday, because that's the best way to show them what we expect.

:vomit:

Consider this:

If one person starts to boo, then someone else joins in, how is the second and following Boo-ers to know the reason for Boo-er 1's boos. As easily as it is assumed that all of the reactionary Boo-ers we booing becuase of the officials; it can also be assumed that at least some of the reactionary Boo-ers might have been booing becuase the thought the initial Boo-er was booing becuase of the bad play on the field.

Regardless of who the booers were booing, their booishness was being booed because of the booish situation on the field. Did the Refs deserve the booing? Did the coaches? Did the players? Who knows? All I know is, whether the booing was booed at the original boo targets or there was collateral booing damage booed down on the players or the coaches (or the refs, if the booing was being booed at the players), it doesn't matter. Boos were booed, and booing is not boorish, it's boo-tiful.

:clap