Is this still part of the problem?

Hunter94

Quick hits

***A few weeks ago, Green was asked roughly how many plays he felt absolutely comfortable running in games. At the time, he guessed about 15 or so. Well, apparently, that number has grown quite a bit since then.

"That number has grown tremendously," Green said. "From that time to now, I saying - last week we had somewhere around 320-something plays on the wristband. I probably knew 200-some of them. After (that first interview), I know people just had a field day with it. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, 'I know more plays than that.' It's just that was the first thing that popped into my head. I just went in and started hitting the playbook harder and tried watching film more and just really took the offense in."

i don' think Watson learned as much as we have given him credit for......he still has that Cally mentality of needing a phone book size playbook.......this can't be helpful to the O line or anyone else with athletic ability, trying to break into a starting role.......i think Wats is jacking up this offense with too much thinking and not enough execution!

Quick hits

***A few weeks ago, Green was asked roughly how many plays he felt absolutely comfortable running in games. At the time, he guessed about 15 or so. Well, apparently, that number has grown quite a bit since then.

"That number has grown tremendously," Green said. "From that time to now, I saying - last week we had somewhere around 320-something plays on the wristband. I probably knew 200-some of them. After (that first interview), I know people just had a field day with it. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, 'I know more plays than that.' It's just that was the first thing that popped into my head. I just went in and started hitting the playbook harder and tried watching film more and just really took the offense in."

i don' think Watson learned as much as we have given him credit for......he still has that Cally mentality of needing a phone book size playbook.......this can't be helpful to the O line or anyone else with athletic ability, trying to break into a stating role.......i think Wats is jacking up this offense with too much thinking and not enough execution!

After spring ball and fall camp he was comfortable with 15 or so plays.......now, after a few weeks. he is comfortable with 200 plus. Interesting - not impossible but really really interesting.

Quick hits

i don' think Watson learned as much as we have given him credit for......he still has that Cally mentality of needing a phone book size playbook.......this can't be helpful to the O line or anyone else with athletic ability, trying to break into a stating role.......i think Wats is jacking up this offense with too much thinking and not enough execution!

After spring ball and fall camp he was comfortable with 15 or so plays.......now, after a few weeks. he is comfortable with 200 plus. Interesting - not impossible but really really interesting.

Keep in mind that's across probably 10+ formations, and many of them are run calls or slight variations of routes that will be only slightly different.

It is in contrast to someone like Leach though who doesn't even hand out a playbook basically. He's got about 25 different pass plays that he runs out of 5 formations or so. So even a basic offense that has 150+ plays (Texas Tech) doesn't require a playbook. And people wonder why the NFL isn't interested in his QB's :)

Article from a few years back

When Leach recruits high-school players, he is forced to compromise on most talents, but he insists on speed. All have been conditioned to run much more than a football player normally does. A typical N.F.L. receiver in training might run 1,500 yards of sprints a day; Texas Tech receivers run 2,500 yards. To prepare his receivers’ ankles and knees for the unusual punishment of his nonstop-running offense, Leach has installed a 40-yard-long sand pit on his practice field; slogging through the sand, he says, strengthens the receivers’ joints. And when they finish sprinting, they move to Leach’s tennis-ball bazookas. A year of catching tiny fuzzy balls fired at their chests at 60 m.p.h. has turned many young men who got to Texas Tech with hands of stone into glue-fingered receivers.

...The first play Leach called against Texas A.&M. was the first play on Cody Hodges's wrist. That wrist held a mere 23 ordinary plays, 9 red-zone plays (for situations inside an opponent's 20-yard line), 6 goal-line plays, 2 2-point-conversion plays and 5 trick plays. “There's two ways to make it more complex for the defense,” Leach says. “One is to have a whole bunch of different plays, but that's no good because then the offense experiences as much complexity as the defense. Another is a small number of plays and run it out of lots of different formations.” Leach prefers new formations. “That way, you don't have to teach a guy a new thing to do,” he says. “You just have to teach him new places to stand.” Texas Tech's offense has no playbook; Cody Hodges's wrist and Mike Leach's back pocket hold the only formal written records of what is widely regarded as one of the most intricate offenses ever to take a football field. The plays change too often, in response to the defense and the talents of the players on hand, to bother recording them.....

Leach is unusual in giving his quarterback the authority to change every play, wherever the line of scrimmage. “He can see more than I'll ever see,” Leach says. “If I call a stupid play, his job is to get me out of it. If he doesn't get me out of it, I might holler at him. But if you let him react to what he sees, there's a ton of touchdowns to be had.”

...catching tiny fuzzy balls fired at their chests...
sorry couldn't resist....

Sounds like Leach has a pretty solid offensive plan in Lubbock. With the sucess of his offense, I don't understand why there isn't more teams trying to take after it. Why do we need 320 frecking plays? Remnants of Cally stuck in Watson's head? Lets dumb it down some, we don't have Ganz, Swift and Peterson do translate it anymore.

...catching tiny fuzzy balls fired at their chests...
sorry couldn't resist....

Sounds like Leach has a pretty solid offensive plan in Lubbock. With the sucess of his offense, I don't understand why there isn't more teams trying to take after it. Why do we need 320 frecking plays? Remnants of Cally stuck in Watson's head? Lets dumb it down some, we don't have Ganz, Swift and Peterson do translate it anymore.

I think the reason why is you have to have lots of balls or be crazy to call some of the plays Leach does. It's ingrained in so many coaches to give up in 3rd in long situations, and to auto punt on 4th down. Popular football opinion is to get field position and wear down the other team with the run. Leach would rather get the ball back and have another chance to score, his offense's goal is to get points, not play a field position game. 3rd and 20 and he has a play for that, other coaches run a draw or screen that may get lucky now and again. He also knows that the average college D will break down eventually here and there if they have to run all day long. So he recurits fast kids and has them run over a mile of sprints a day so that they can run the entire game on the field.

It's a different method, some of it could be applied to a more conventional coaching method and be very successful IMO. It's a lot of what the option did for us, a group of plays that were run from multiple formations with similar concepts. The goal was to get players in space to make plays by putting pressure on defenders to make split second decisions, much like Leach's offense.

I suspect that the 320 play playbook doesn't consist of 320 original plays, but many of those plays are the same play with a different formation/motion/offensive shift. That is kind of how the WCO works. So in reality the playbook probably consists of about 70 basic plays, excluding trick plays, red zone plays and long yardage situations.

Whether we saw all the plays saturday or not is a different story...

One thing you have to understand is that out of those 320 plays, that is also counting flips of plays and different ways to run the same thing.

That said, that is still way too many plays to consider. This may be the root of our offensive problems. They have so many different things they have to think about, it's more about not screwing up than just playing football.

Why did the defense struggle last year? New scheme, where they thought too much instead of reacting. Why are they so good this year? They are reacting, instead of thinking.

Our offense is just thinking way too much. This might be why Lee is trying so hard not to make mistakes, because he has so much to think about.

Cut the play book, and you make these guys more successful imho.

Old offense ran many sets, but a few plays well blocked from multiple formations. Plays like the pitch and counter sweep were NU staples. I remember being a freshman back in the early 80s and watching Rozier run the pitch up the gut. I thought pitches were outside plays, but i noticed NU ran that play up the gut or off-tackle and of course the counter sweep play and FB traps that were set up for big plays by the options and outside runs. A team needs a signature play, like the Redskind under Gibbs, inside/outside, power and counter. Dallas with Emmit ran 2-3 plays, SC ran pitch and blast (iso). We need plays that work and are feared by the opposition and trusted by the offense.