Does this offense hurt recuiting?

Twodocs

Does this shotgun multiple unnamed and undefined offense hurt recuiting? I for one have wondered over the past few games about how our performance affects recuiting. Now comes an intereseting article from Mitch Sherman at the OWH. What say you?

ARTICLE LINK

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091020/BIGRED/710209825

"

Nebraska does nothing exceptionally well on offense. Saturday against Texas Tech, it did just about everything poorly.

Along with Kansas State, Colorado and Baylor, it ranks as the only Big 12 teams not among the top 20 nationally in either rushing or passing yards per game. The Huskers are 45th and 55th, respectively.

Is this what we can expect — five or six games into every season, Nebraska needs an offensive overhaul?

“Knowing what you go to in a time where you have trouble, that's huge,” Hickman said. “It's something you can have confidence in, no matter who you play or what you're doing.”

Bad enough Nebraska has spent the first half of two seasons searching for its offensive bread and butter. To make matters more difficult, the lack of identity is set to start damaging NU on the recruiting trail.

What quarterback wants to direct an offense that doesn't know itself — a unit that would almost always rather let the defense dictate the plan than impose its will on a foe?

What running back wants to sign with a school without knowing how he'll be featured? "

On the other side of the coin BO and his defense helps recuit for the defense!

We have not scored key offensive skill or running backs recuits since who Marlon Lucky?

Or it could have a positive effect on recruiting. Kids will see that the offense is sputtering, and will recognize the opportunity for early playing time....

BTW, all of this gloom and doom after 1 piss-poor game is ridiculous. Sure our offense was horrendous this past week, but the coaches know that and I suspect that there will be a shakeup on the offensive side of the ball. I fully expect our offense to improve and mature over the course of these next 3-4 weeks.

GBR

One year and one week ago, NU encountered this same kind of crossroads. An identity crisis, we called it in 2008. Offensively, when the Huskers looked in the mirror, they saw no reflection.

Nebraska was trying to play power football with finesse personnel. So it switched systems in midseason. And for the most part, the changes took.

After two weeks of Big 12 play this fall, here we sit again. No identity.

One year and one week ago, NU encountered this same kind of crossroads. An identity crisis, we called it in 2008. Offensively, when the Huskers looked in the mirror, they saw no reflection.

Nebraska was trying to play power football with finesse personnel. So it switched systems in midseason. And for the most part, the changes took.

After two weeks of Big 12 play this fall, here we sit again. No identity.

I like how Mitch Sherman says that we should have had a plan for an offensive identity in August, yet fails to mention how Roy Helu's sprained shoulder (that is what he has folks - same as Sam Bradford), Rex Burkhead's broken foot, and Quentin Castille's bad habits might have altered that identity. We are trying to adjust this identity on the fly.

We have not scored key offensive skill or running backs recuits since who Marlon Lucky?

Last year we got Cody Green and Rex Burkhead. Both were Rivals 4 stars and well recruited. Recruiting-wise, we have much more difficulty recruiting high profile WRs recently (although Niles Paul was also a 4 star IIRC). If you're looking for 5 star players, we don't get many of those period.

Or it could have a positive effect on recruiting. Kids will see that the offense is sputtering, and will recognize the opportunity for early playing time....

BTW, all of this gloom and doom after 1 piss-poor game is ridiculous. Sure our offense was horrendous this past week, but the coaches know that and I suspect that there will be a shakeup on the offensive side of the ball. I fully expect our offense to improve and mature over the course of these next 3-4 weeks.

GBR

It's not just one game It's every big game this offense has faced. Look back through the games and look what this offense has done just at home against Missou last year, Okie State the year before. I'm willing to bet that even solich terrible offense was scoring more against good defenses then this offense has done.

GBR

Uh....just "one" game??? :blink:

Where have you been my compadre'??

I mentioned something similar before. The really good teams have a set of plays they run as bread and butter. We don't. Imagine trying to give a sales pitch for the offense for a recruit. Saying we are a 'take what the defense gives us' offense is absurd. That is a totally passive way of doing things. You want to impose your will on a defense. Look at many of the really good offensive coaches, do they change their style, or try to impose their will? Florida, Alabama, OU(when healthy), Texas, TT, USC, Oregon, or Rich Rod's. Do the run identity teams try to go 5 WR all game because the defense is loading the box? Does TT ever run more than pass?