Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech and The Option

T_O_Bull

I kind of follow the talking heads on ESPN and Fox Radio when they are talking college football. Kinda makes me wonder when they start talking about the option and the good luck Paul Johnson has with it at Ga. Tech. and previously at Navy. Its hard to prepare for and it makes recruiting easier because you are not going after the kids who will likely go to the schools that run a pro style offence. Its amazing that as of 12 years ago Nebraska won a National Championship with Scott Frost at QB and the Snowman had no chance of ever becoming a QB in the NFL.

I'm in no way advocating that Nebraska go back to the option, I would certainly not presume to tell Coach Pelini how to do his job, it just makes one wonder.

A lot of us lay the majority of the blame for Nebraska's dive into the doldrums on Calahan and his staff. I believe the blame belongs to Steve Pederson.

Oh well, water under the bridge.

T_O_B

:nanalama

There were quite a few that wanted Paul when we were looking.

The recruiting side of it is one thing, but he never recruited his starting QB or RB.

I think it works but I still feel the defenses will catch up to it over the years. Something new, but as the teams in the conference learn it they will get better.

It seems they were running all over VaTech and then later in the game VaTech came back. I did not watch the game, so I leave it in your hands to say it was them learning it or GT making mistakes.

Knowing how to stop a offense and actually doing it are two different things.

The great thing the flexbone pulled from the wishbone and wing-t is the companion plays.

Lets say you start out cracking the DE on a sweep. When he starts reacting to that block you tighten it up to an off tackle and instead of cracking the DE you log roll him and pin the DT. When the DT starts reacting to that pin from the back side then you run a trap on that DT. And roll all of that with boot and waggle passes.

Great offense with a lot of companion plays to keep the "D" honest

Stopping an option attack is difficult indeed, you all didn't win your championships because of great QB's outside of Frazier, you won them beastly offensive lines that got 14 yards on dive plays. When you have a great run blocking offensive line the option is deadly and don't give me this crap that o-linemen won't get drafted because they don't pass block, because there were a huge number of Husker, Buffalos, and Sooner o-linemen that went to the NFL in the option's heyday.

Why are teams going to figure out the option, but not the spread? That sounds so DUMB! VaTech fell apart and could not handle the offense. He ran it at Navy with "inferior" talent, yet he always was in a bowl game. He is getting kids from Texas 4/5A schools to attend GaTech. They have a state 5A 100 meter finalist and 3000 yard rusher from SA Reagan, Marcus Wright at one of the RB spots and a 6'3" WR from Austin LBJ. Both these kids are smart and athletic. The RB was a burner and has 4.3 speed and would have been a big time I-back under TO. I don't think NU has anyone with Wrights credentials on ship at the RB spot. Johnson might benefit from the city in recruiting. The QB was a LB, he wasn't recruited by Gailey to play QB and the RB wasn't a star, Johnson's offense has done this. In a few years Tech will have OU type Slot backs from the 80s and a Big Jerome Bettis type FB and a Tommie Frazier type QB running the show with an NU type OL. Check out how SMALL his OL is compared to others? The flexbone (Arkansas and Air Force) is the wishbone, but with both HB's on the wings. Johnson runs a spread option, like you stated, a wing-t and wishbone combo with elements of the run and shoot.

The recruiting side of it is one thing, but he never recruited his starting QB or RB.

I think it works but I still feel the defenses will catch up to it over the years. Something new, but as the teams in the conference learn it they will get better.

It seems they were running all over VaTech and then later in the game VaTech came back. I did not watch the game, so I leave it in your hands to say it was them learning it or GT making mistakes.

Tech actually got better as the game went along. 7 points in the first and 21 points in the second half. VT did not figure it out. Plus we fumbled at their 10 yard line when we were about to score which led to one of their touchdowns...that game should not have been close (should have put up 28 in the second half) but i digress. No they did not figure it out, in fact it become more potent as the game went on.

Why are teams going to figure out the option, but not the spread? That sounds so DUMB! VaTech fell apart and could not handle the offense. He ran it at Navy with "inferior" talent, yet he always was in a bowl game. He is getting kids from Texas 4/5A schools to attend GaTech. They have a state 5A 100 meter finalist and 3000 yard rusher from SA Reagan, Marcus Wright at one of the RB spots and a 6'3" WR from Austin LBJ. Both these kids are smart and athletic. The RB was a burner and has 4.3 speed and would have been a big time I-back under TO. I don't think NU has anyone with Wrights credentials on ship at the RB spot. Johnson might benefit from the city in recruiting. The QB was a LB, he wasn't recruited by Gailey to play QB and the RB wasn't a star, Johnson's offense has done this. In a few years Tech will have OU type Slot backs from the 80s and a Big Jerome Bettis type FB and a Tommie Frazier type QB running the show with an NU type OL. Check out how SMALL his OL is compared to others? The flexbone (Arkansas and Air Force) is the wishbone, but with both HB's on the wings. Johnson runs a spread option, like you stated, a wing-t and wishbone combo with elements of the run and shoot.

Ga Tech will always be under the shadow of UGA which is a disadvantage if you are trying to get the same players. That is why using the option is a huge advantage ... you can get players that you otherwise would not even come close to getting. I would put Ga Tech on the same recruiting plane with NU. Though we are closer to the coast, closer to Florida, etc. which have much of the talent we also have to compete with many other schools in the area. And since our reputation is not top tier yet (I have a feeling we are on our way with PJ!!) we will often not get recruits that other schools want unless they are from the ATL. The option has changed that and we can get talent from many places. NU on the other hand has the problem of being in Nebraska frankly, and running a unique offense would help steal players from places like Texas, Oklahoma, and Mizzou.

Tech actually got better as the game went along. 7 points in the first and 21 points in the second half. VT did not figure it out. Plus we fumbled at their 10 yard line when we were about to score which led to one of their touchdowns...that game should not have been close (should have put up 28 in the second half) but i digress. No they did not figure it out, in fact it become more potent as the game went on.

Ga Tech will always be under the shadow of UGA which is a disadvantage if you are trying to get the same players. That is why using the option is a huge advantage ... you can get players that you otherwise would not even come close to getting. I would put Ga Tech on the same recruiting plane with NU. Though we are closer to the coast, closer to Florida, etc. which have much of the talent we also have to compete with many other schools in the area. And since our reputation is not top tier yet (I have a feeling we are on our way with PJ!!) we will often not get recruits that other schools want unless they are from the ATL. The option has changed that and we can get talent from many places. NU on the other hand has the problem of being in Nebraska frankly, and running a unique offense would help steal players from places like Texas, Oklahoma, and Mizzou.

Unless we're both going after Calvin Johnson...but then again, I guess y'all did get stuck with Reggie Ball. :)

Unless we're both going after Calvin Johnson...but then again, I guess y'all did get stuck with Reggie Ball. :)

He was UGA's MVP for some years there when we played you guys. Reggie might as well have been on your team with how much he helped you guys beat us!

"Miami handled the triple option with relative ease, holding the Yellow Jackets to 95 yards rushing -- 60 of those coming on the game's first drive."

That was against Georgia Lite this year. Sound familiar? In all fairness however GT had almost 500 yards on the ground last year vs the Canes. But Nebraska's I against the Sooner's wishbone...... those were the days!!!

"Miami handled the triple option with relative ease, holding the Yellow Jackets to 95 yards rushing -- 60 of those coming on the game's first drive."

That was against Georgia Lite this year. Sound familiar? In all fairness however GT had almost 500 yards on the ground last year vs the Canes. But Nebraska's I against the Sooner's wishbone...... those were the days!!!

god forbid we lose one game!! Haha ya can't win em all (usually)! High powered passing attacks are also shut down at times too ya know? :)

Option still works you just need special QB to run it right. Solich's lack of recruiting killed the option for us.

lack of recruiting? that's completely and unequivocally inaccurate. when you have one qb ditch you and run to the pros for baseball who was going to be amazing that hurts, when the next year you have a qb ditch you to go to notre lame that hurts again, when you have a player say no thanks because danny nee wouldn't let him play basketball it's not really your fault.

The kid from Houston was an athlete, but he was not on a great team and he was no where near Reggie McNeal or VY who took their teams to state semis and titles. Solich was HORRIBLE recruiter, he also had no I-backs! When he was fired Lord was no where near as good as highly recruited VY, McNeal or Brad Smith or Ell Roberson III. Why would you put all your eggs ina QB from a weak HS program in inner city Houston? Where were the other QBs or I-backs, going to Cananda for an average RB or a Thunder Collins, who was to skinny to be a good I-back. Solich could not recruit the offensive skill players to run the NU system at the 90s level.

• 2 weeks later...