Giving up the Smokes! AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I can't believe I ever started..

My parents streesed not smoking..Only the kids most likely to drop out of school or the ones that flunked 3rd grade ever smoked..

Then I saw a picture of my Dad next to his plane durring WW2 and he was holding a cigarette..I didn't talk to him for days!

I don't know how I started..probably at bars when I'd had too much to drink..I fact, that's how I used to recognize that I needed to cut myself off..as soon as I started smoking.

I smoked ~a pack/day for ~10 years after breaking up with the first girl I'd planned to marry..I tried quitting several times when I started dating again, but usually only lasted a day.

After several attempts at quitting cold turkey...I tried another approach...

"Warm? Turkey"

One of the biggest drawbacks had been telling myself, "This is my last cigarette ever!"..Then I'd panic within a few hours...

Then I made myself a promise..That I would try to make it a whole month without lighting up...Maybe smoke one more at the end of the month whethger I wanted to or not..I probably wouldn't have made it had I bought a pack and stashed it..I'd usually bum one at the end of the month from a co-worker..it took less than two months before I stopped wanting one..I'd get a slight craving if I saw someone light up on TV or a movie, and I stayed away from any co-workers on their smoke break..you have to break yourself out of your past patterns..the cravings would get bad in the morning when I wouldn't have the first cig of the day..

I quit pretty much for good ~6 months (and ~6 cigs) later..That was over eight years ago..

Although..I did have one a month ago..A co-worker gave it to me...Made me really sick to my stomach. smiley_puke2.gif

puke.jpg

Uh oh... it's the weekend... From what I hear, cigs go good with beer!

Be strong my man! Fight the urge! :wasted

That's one thing I have going for me, I don't drink. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I have had too many concussions. When I try to drink it goes straight to some nerve in my head and gives me a migraine. The last concussion I suffered was from a guy at work completely missing what he was swinging at and broke my skull right above my left eye with a 20 pound sledge hammer. :LOLtartar Ever since then my head ain't been right. The doctor in the ER told me that I had to be a little disturbed cause he said nobody lives through a blow to the head like that. He said shattering your temple is pretty much sure death. Yea me! :corndance

Anyway, back to the point. Another day smoke free! :woo I'm going to go play Great Outdoor Adventure on the Wii and burn off a few of these extra pounds.

Uh oh... it's the weekend... From what I hear, cigs go good with beer!

Be strong my man! Fight the urge! :wasted

That's one thing I have going for me, I don't drink. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I have had too many concussions. When I try to drink it goes straight to some nerve in my head and gives me a migraine. The last concussion I suffered was from a guy at work completely missing what he was swinging at and broke my skull right above my left eye with a 20 pound sledge hammer. :LOLtartar Ever since then my head ain't been right. The doctor in the ER told me that I had to be a little disturbed cause he said nobody lives through a blow to the head like that. He said shattering your temple is pretty much sure death. Yea me! :corndance

Anyway, back to the point. Another day smoke free! :woo I'm going to go play Great Outdoor Adventure on the Wii and burn off a few of these extra pounds.

:wtf:wtf:wtf

Hope you hit him back??!! (After you recovered of course!)

Good luck Diz!! Hang in there. It does get easier.

I did my PT test yesterday and even though I work out, I could definitely feel the effects of smoking (I smoke at least a pack a day and have so for about 15 years). I've tried quitting several times, the most successful was going cold turkey in which case I quit for about 3 mos. I told my wife last night I was going to quit (she wants to quit as well) so we made 1 Nov our quit date. It won't be easy but hopefully it's worth it. That's gonna be a rough ass week in our house, I tell ya... :blink:

For me, it's the mornings. Coffee is a huge, huge trigger for me! Not sure how I'm going to manage drinking my coffee without a cigarette.

Have you tried any of the nicotine gums or patches? They do tend to take the edge off just a bit.

On the lighter side, when people ask me when I'm goin to quit, I usually tell them I quit after every cigarette. The look of "Huh?" on their faces is priceless :clap

Good luck Diz!! Hang in there. It does get easier.

I did my PT test yesterday and even though I work out, I could definitely feel the effects of smoking (I smoke at least a pack a day and have so for about 15 years). I've tried quitting several times, the most successful was going cold turkey in which case I quit for about 3 mos. I told my wife last night I was going to quit (she wants to quit as well) so we made 1 Nov our quit date. It won't be easy but hopefully it's worth it. That's gonna be a rough ass week in our house, I tell ya... :blink:

For me, it's the mornings. Coffee is a huge, huge trigger for me! Not sure how I'm going to manage drinking my coffee without a cigarette.

Have you tried any of the nicotine gums or patches? They do tend to take the edge off just a bit.

On the lighter side, when people ask me when I'm goin to quit, I usually tell them I quit after every cigarette. The look of "Huh?" on their faces is priceless :clap

Try switching to tea? or cokes?

And since both you and your wife are thinking of quitting together..Maybe you should replace it with sex (with each other)..unless you usually smoke afterwards.

Well, it's been a week now. I had to go to Wal-Mart and buy the cheap patches. I really under estimated the urge to go buy a pack. Yesterday I was around a bunch of people that smoked and they were actually pretty considerate, but being around the smell still drove me nuts.

I am also a huge coffee drinker. I live out in the country and that was a huge part of my routine. I would grap a cup and a smoke and go sit out on the deck in the morning. I actually think being able to still drink coffee takes away from the smoking urge.

Once I know I have quit for good I am going to buy a motorhome. My son races Motocross and it would be a lot of fun to have one for when we travel. Not buying smokes will make over half the payment.

Hopefully week number 2 goes as good as this one, I really wasn't sure if I would make it. It does help to have a women that will help you take your mind off of it.......If ya know what I mean!!! :corndance

@ArmyHusker- LOL, It took me a couple of day's to even remember who hit me. Him and his wife both felt bad about it. She made him bring me food almost every night I had to stay home and recover.

Keep it going man!!!! I quit chewing and it was by far one of the hardest things to do. I found out that breaking my routine helped....I would have a chew whenever I drove in the car or watched games. I stopped doing that and it made it easier for me to quit.

Good luck and keep your eye on the prize.....healthy and extra money for your motorhome!

Keep doing good DIZZ. On one time a smoke for over 30 year and some time 3 pack a day of marlboro reds, not light one"S. So I quit on Jan 23 of 1993 and it has been fined. So I can proof you don"t need be over smart but just stick you"re mind to it. Plus also I stop drink beer for a week but I can see you past that.

If you get urge just put a post on this web and talk to some one like you like to do. :wtf This can mean Without Tobaco you Fine.

:moreinteresting

TuffTiger

Keep doing good DIZZ. On one time a smoke for over 30 year and some time 3 pack a day of marlboro reds, not light one"S. So I quit on Jan 23 of 1993 and it has been fined. So I can proof you don"t need be over smart but just stick you"re mind to it. Plus also I stop drink beer for a week but I can see you past that.

If you get urge just put a post on this web and talk to some one like you like to do. :wtf This can mean Without Tobaco you Fine.

TuffTiger

:worship

TuffTiger

Cured! :clap