Greatest Fans in College Football, Terrible Crowd

That age excuse is BS... we aren't the only fanbase that consist of older people, we might have more than others but we also have one of the biggest stadiums and only about 10,000 people being loud.

I'm not saying everyone has to be losing their voice, but clap maybe yell... make some sort of noise it will make a difference.

We don't boo the team... I've been to every home game since 2003 and the only time I remember hearing boos directly at our team was in 2007 when we played Okie St and T A&M and those were directly aimed at the coaching staff more than the team.

These "boos" people keep talking about this year aren't some massive boos all at once, its more after a couple of frustrating series there are a lot of moans and groans with people yelling "Come on", "This is ridiculous", etc...

Like I said, don't get too much games, and honestly can't say I heard any boo's on TV today. Kind of wondering if the support from the home crowd is getting to some of these players?

8 turnovers more than deflates all of the air out of the enthusiasm balloon.

I know, but the score was still 9-7 :bang Give the guys a chance to know what they are still playing for... the Pride of the University and Husker Nation.

I hear what you are saying and I agree with it. However I think the fans were in shock and didn't how to react.

Uhh we are fans, we have one responsibility: Be loud. There are only 2 ways to react do nothing or make noise, its a no brainer which is more beneficial to the team.

Unfortunately, there are the "gray hairs" that have the season tickets, will have them until they die, at which point their kids will inherit them (and they will be 65 or so by then, probably so they will continue that gray hair tradition). Until the University does something about verifying who really is still in ownership of those tickets (because there are a lot of dead people's names on the envelopes when they go out, because their kids keep their dead parents checking accounts open just for the purpose of paying for those tickets every year) this will be a problem. Maybe they need to do some kind of verification process to put a stop to this?

I sat in Section 106, and me and another guy was the only people getting loud last week - someone called security, who came up and sat and kept an eye on us for about 10 minutes until they finally realized all we were doing is cheering. We were even on the back row, and were standing but there was nobody's view to be blocking - we were the ONLY people that EVER stood in that section. Pathetic. I have been to high school games that had fans that were more enthused...and they were 0-9 for the year!!

The student section is the place to sit. I never realized it until I "upgraded" my seating last week. Always heard about those "gray hairs"...guess I didn't believe it until I witnessed just how bad it really is. At one point I pointed over to the student section, and asked the guy next to me who also was cheering loudly (he normally didn't sit in this section - just happened to get a good deal on the tickets too) "What do you notice the difference between this section and that section is?" - he knew the answer, the students never sat down, the "gray hairs" in any of the sections around us never got up.

I nominate Section 106 for the Worst Husker Fans in Memorial Stadium...course they will never know, because I KNOW they would never take the time to come on here.

I was there today.. .first game I've seen in two years. It was the same as always. Most people I sat by talked during the game... and sat down. Even on 3rd downs... even after "Get up and shout..." I would stand and cheer the whole game if it were me.

And people did boo. Boos rained down after the 2nd interception. Boos rained down a couple more times. It was distressing. I was angry too. I couldn't believe people were leaving way before the game was over.

Maybe they knew something I didn't know.

The cost of going to a game means younger people are less likely to afford going to games. Older people with more money can still afford tickets, but they don't have the same energy as younger people.

And if you think it's bad now, wait until most of the crowd is corporate sponsors. You're dreaming if you think that's not the future. Those blocks of seats filled with corporate wives and executives... think they'll even be this loud?

Not being a season ticket holder, I agree with you whole heartedly. I find that unless your a student, the going price to get a ticket is usually at least twice the stated price on the ticket. Unless of course we are playing someone that is really good, or we are having a good year, then the sky is the limit. Fortunately I have enough money that I can afford to buy tickets now and then. But I know there are a lot of people that can't afford those tickets - even at face value. When I was a kid, all I needed was a radio to hear the game, or a black and white TV to see them when they were carried by ABC now and then. The little town I was in stopped when the Huskers were playing. That don't happen anymore.

Kids now days have no feeling of ownership on any sport in Nebraska. They don't know what they are missing. That is unfortunate. The people that can afford and have access to season tickets often don't realize how fortunate they are. That is even more unfortunate.

This crowd was so f#$%ing pathetic I could barely stand it. I yelled myself hoarse while 90% of everyone around me stood and watched. Even the guy behind me, so quick to speak his infinite knowledge about every player and every playcall loud and obnoxiously between plays, was shockingly completely silent when the defense needed the noise.

Cheshire, the fact that we were not playing well gives us all the more reason to make noise for our defense and give any possible advantage we can to the team. If we were playing well, we would've won by three scores and not needed much noise. These players work countless hours to prepare, and you don't think you should use your vocal chords for three hours while they put their bodies on the line? You need the team to be running on all cylinders before you try to help them out? That doesn't make any sense.

Also, let's kill this horrible rumor that it's the 60+ crowd that makes the stadium pathetic. No, there are countless fans in their 20s, 30s and 40s who are completely silent the entire game. Maybe throw in a "Go Huskers!" yell, but will not make any significant noise when it's actually needed.

Really, really disgusted by the lack of enthusiasm all the way around. Finally, in the fourth quarter after our n-th lost fumble, the crowd was loud and sounded like 85000 people supporting an FBS school. But that was one or two plays out of 70 on defense.

When over half of your stadium is 60-90 years old, it's not going to be that loud.......

I'm not so sure it has all that much to do with the age of the fans.

We have a small population base..And I'd guess a majority of the fans at the game actually played the game for their small towns in high school..

Cheering (or Booing) is a learned behavior... One I never had much of a chance to experience..I was usually concentrating on the next play and trying to figure out who was getting the ball next so I could be there to make a stop..I don't remember even hearing the crowd..(Except a couple of times when my Dad yelled at the refs :box ).

I usually watch the game the same way..as everyone around me is hollering and high-fiving...I get enjoyment out of mentally calling the next play or predicting what the other team will run next.

Probably a good thing I can't make it back home for games much anymore. :dunno

I am normally in the student section, but today I was in the club seats. Holy change. I felt like I couldn't stand up at all. Very few people up there yelled on defense. There were only two guys in the whole section that yelled at all (usually negative drunk comments at the officials, who I thought did a pretty decent job today minus maybe the Robinson fumble, but it was close). I mean I wish everyone would stand and make noise, but I can understand if some people don't want to stand. However, contrary to popular belief you can still yell while sitting. No one does that. It was bad. Just one of those days I guess...

I was at the game today and my seats were right in front of the railing that separates the 40s-70s from the 80s-90s in Section 32. That meant no one was behind me and I could stand up and yell when I wanted to. That meant every third down, mostly every defensive play in the 3rd and 4th quarter, many offensive plays, etc. You get the gist. Also, I didn't hear any boos except for a few individuals every now and then after the turnovers and offensive three and outs.