..And so it begins

How satisfied are you with SP's hire?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

…And so it begins.

The 40 plus day wait, that seemed like an eternity, the wait that brought Husker Nation to a mob-like frenzy, the wait that some have categorized as a “botch job,” the wait that ultimately gave us Bill Callahan.

Some fans and other “outsiders” are disgusted, irate, and befuddled at this choice. They wanted the big splash. They wanted a headliner. Now we have a guy who hasn’t viewed a recruiting list in years. Now NU is in for it, they say.

Yet others, like myself, are in high praise, intrigued and rabidly excited of this hiring and its great potential it brings. VW from DC put it to me like this: When a horse wins, wins and wins and then falls mightily, the next race the odds are large, 20 to 1, 30 to 1 type sh#t and that’s when you throw the bank on him. That’s what we have with Coach Callahan.

If only Pederson kept us updated. Even a little bit, it never would have gotten even half this bad. But nevertheless, he did it the right way. He didn’t interview until after the bowl game in order to keep the players from choosing sides between the internal candidates. Sure he chose other candidates before Callahan, but Callahan didn’t become available until Monday. And as soon as he was Pederson called him. He was hired on Friday. That’s moving quickly if you ask me. (Look at it this way, how relieved are we that Nutt didn’t get on that plane???)

The other candidates had jobs already, Pederson’s search revolved around getting that NFL coach. These types of rejections were bound to happen.

Although at the time it’s really difficult to understand, but what you have to realize is Pederson is one of us. He’s from North Platte, got his degree at UNL, it’s in his blood. Yes, things were not done in the traditional sense, but then again what is today.

As is with the West Coast offense. This is not traditional NU, but who’s to say you don’t throw in an option or two every now and then. (To me as a coach and fan, the triple option is still the greatest play ever invented. You just can’t live on it today because of the change in aggressive style defenses, and the speed in the college game which is beginning to parallel the NFL). Callahan, who will be calling most of the plays, bye Barney (unless you want to coach O-line), says this offense is very versatile. For those of us who abide by the whole climate thing, look at Green Bay, Univ. of Wisconsin and Univ. of Iowa, who play in virtually the same weather as NU. They all throw the ball a great deal. What is important are the players you can recruit to work the system.

Callahan is a guru at O-line. Story from LJS: “And in the front row that day sat the late Joe Moore, who at the time was the offensive line coach at Notre Dame. Moore was considered one of the nation's best assistant coaches at his position.”

"Somebody asked Joe what he was doing there, and he turned around and said, `I'm listening to the best offensive line coach (Bill Callahan) in the country,' " Venerable said.

"When someone like Joe Moore says that, people tend to take notice."

At the press conference, already you can tell he’s a better communicator than Solich. He said all the right things. The answers weren’t prerecorded so to speak. Most of all he said was what we all wanted him to. As he squinted into the camera, in a John Wayne like attitude and said “our number 1 goal is to win a national championship and I have the plan to make it happen.” Well he better, or him and the guy who hired him will both be out of a job next time.

An optimistic, intrigued and faithful Husker.

Go get’em Coach Cal, GO BIG RED

Guest Visitor_Heinie44

Personally, I'm just glad we didn't get "The Nutt", or Spurrier. I mean I didn't want a guy named after the greater part of my manhood, or the only coach in history to cry like a little bitch with a skined knee when he loses. So i say all hail Bill Cally!!

Good article Eric. Well I think Callahan has the ingredients, and has introduced himself well to HN up to this point, so we cant ask for a whole lot more.

And you are correct when you sit back and look at it, it was a fairly QUICK hire. So maybe we arent in such a bad position after all.

This quote might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I thought it was pretty clever. We shall see...

"Pro guys have a lot more intricacies to their knowledge. They work 24 hours a day. It's like getting a guy at NASA who is in hydrocarbons to come teach your class."

BRM

I guess you could say he has said the right things.

heres an example that personally sold me. I know it is more or less a canned answer, but Im not even sure solich could have got all those words in the right order in the same sentence.

"This is something I've aspired to since I was in high school, to be a college head coach," said Callahan, 47. "The tradition is unparalleled. The fan base, the sellouts, the home winning record and the meaningfulness of it brings to the recruits and the fans. We want to maintain that."

salud to that!!

• 3 years later...

…And so it begins.

The 40 plus day wait, that seemed like an eternity, the wait that brought Husker Nation to a mob-like frenzy, the wait that some have categorized as a “botch job,” the wait that ultimately gave us Bill Callahan.

Some fans and other “outsiders” are disgusted, irate, and befuddled at this choice. They wanted the big splash. They wanted a headliner. Now we have a guy who hasn’t viewed a recruiting list in years. Now NU is in for it, they say.

Yet others, like myself, are in high praise, intrigued and rabidly excited of this hiring and its great potential it brings. VW from DC put it to me like this: When a horse wins, wins and wins and then falls mightily, the next race the odds are large, 20 to 1, 30 to 1 type sh#t and that’s when you throw the bank on him. That’s what we have with Coach Callahan.

If only Pederson kept us updated. Even a little bit, it never would have gotten even half this bad. But nevertheless, he did it the right way. He didn’t interview until after the bowl game in order to keep the players from choosing sides between the internal candidates. Sure he chose other candidates before Callahan, but Callahan didn’t become available until Monday. And as soon as he was Pederson called him. He was hired on Friday. That’s moving quickly if you ask me. (Look at it this way, how relieved are we that Nutt didn’t get on that plane???)

The other candidates had jobs already, Pederson’s search revolved around getting that NFL coach. These types of rejections were bound to happen.

Although at the time it’s really difficult to understand, but what you have to realize is Pederson is one of us. He’s from North Platte, got his degree at UNL, it’s in his blood. Yes, things were not done in the traditional sense, but then again what is today.

As is with the West Coast offense. This is not traditional NU, but who’s to say you don’t throw in an option or two every now and then. (To me as a coach and fan, the triple option is still the greatest play ever invented. You just can’t live on it today because of the change in aggressive style defenses, and the speed in the college game which is beginning to parallel the NFL). Callahan, who will be calling most of the plays, bye Barney (unless you want to coach O-line), says this offense is very versatile. For those of us who abide by the whole climate thing, look at Green Bay, Univ. of Wisconsin and Univ. of Iowa, who play in virtually the same weather as NU. They all throw the ball a great deal. What is important are the players you can recruit to work the system.

Callahan is a guru at O-line. Story from LJS: “And in the front row that day sat the late Joe Moore, who at the time was the offensive line coach at Notre Dame. Moore was considered one of the nation's best assistant coaches at his position.”

"Somebody asked Joe what he was doing there, and he turned around and said, `I'm listening to the best offensive line coach (Bill Callahan) in the country,' " Venerable said.

At the press conference, already you can tell he’s a better communicator than Solich. He said all the right things. The answers weren’t prerecorded so to speak. Most of all he said was what we all wanted him to. As he squinted into the camera, in a John Wayne like attitude and said “our number 1 goal is to win a national championship and I have the plan to make it happen.” Well he better, or him and the guy who hired him will both be out of a job next time.

Interesting read and I'm pretty sure I know how the poll would turn out now.

…And so it begins.

Interesting read and I'm pretty sure I know how the poll would turn out now.

wow. I would say that our O-line is one of our biggest disappointments.

…And so it begins.

Nice write up. I agree with everything, pretty much. You can have all the ingredients and still it takes that extra factor. We need that factor right now.