Question

I hate my computer! If you could buy a new computer..what brand would you buy and why? I also don't want a notebook computer. Dell computers are one that I will stay away from buying. I can't afford one right now..but..hopefully someday I will be able to get a new one with a printer. Another question...or would it be better to wait for Windows 7 to come out?

Since you don't like Dell, I would go with HP. All in all, pretty much computer "guts" are pretty much the same anymore. Either Intel or AMD chipsets.

Side note, Windows 7 is out. Release date was Oct. 22. I haven't used it yet so really don't know much on it. I hear it looks and feels a lot like vista, but performs better.

On Windows 7, I've been running the betas since they were first released, and I've been running the shipping version since August. Rock stable. Appearance-wise, not much different from Vista, but the small touches are good. The "nag screens" are greatly reduced, the new "libraries" are great, and while it took a while, I now love the new, improved taskbar (if you have your browser opened to multiple sites, just rest your cursor on the browser icon on the taskbar and previews of each site you have open in a tab appear; just click on the preview to jump to that site - you don't have to maximize the browser and then click the tab for the site). So, definately Windows 7. Brands? Hated Dell, but now that they have gone to standardized components instead of OEM parts, I have no particular problem with them. But I agree - I'd go HP if Dell is out.

I've got to chime in and recommend a Mac. I know they are more expensive, but to me at least, they are worth it for the operating system alone. I went through 5 PC's before getting a Mac . . . and I'll never go back.

That said, I understand Windows 7 went a long ways towards fixing some PC weaknesses. They replicated some features of the Apple operating system and improved on others. So maybe a PC would function better for me now than I experienced in the past. It's going to take some seriously amazing reviews to tear me away from Macs now though.

You will pay much more for a mac that can do the same stuff. Unless you are heavy into video editing, there really isnt enough of a justification of other than the case of 'smug' that comes in all mac boxes.

Of the brands, HP is probably they best option. If you are a little technical minded, and are not looking for the cheapest option, you could look at building your own from parts bought online. Though this option really isnt all that cost effective unless you are into games.

You will pay much more for a mac that can do the same stuff. Unless you are heavy into video editing, there really isnt enough of a justification of other than the case of 'smug' that comes in all mac boxes.

Of the brands, HP is probably they best option. If you are a little technical minded, and are not looking for the cheapest option, you could look at building your own from parts bought online. Though this option really isnt all that cost effective unless you are into games.

The "smug" has nothing to do with it for me. For me it's all about stability and peace of mind. No worries about viruses. No worries about crashing and losing documents. Everything works . . . and works seamlessly with other accessories.

Once you learn the new Mac OS (takes a day or two to get used to it) I don't know how you can argue that Windows works better.

Anyways, if you are looking for an entry level computer the Mac definitely isn't for you. If you are willing to pay for a higher quality OS and high quality parts . . . I think the Mac is worth it. (unless you are a gamer, programmer, etc. Then you are limited to Windows.)

The "smug" has nothing to do with it for me. For me it's all about stability and peace of mind. No worries about viruses. No worries about crashing and losing documents. Everything works . . . and works seamlessly with other accessories.

Once you learn the new Mac OS (takes a day or two to get used to it) I don't know how you can argue that Windows works better.

Anyways, if you are looking for an entry level computer the Mac definitely isn't for you. If you are willing to pay for a higher quality OS and high quality parts . . . I think the Mac is worth it. (unless you are a gamer, programmer, etc. Then you are limited to Windows.)

I'm always forced to wonder who is having all these stability issues with PCs to be honest. The only crash issues I've ever experienced have been hardware failures or drivers not liking a game I was running. Other than those things, windows has been solid for me(well, not ME)

Virus infections are kinda the same thing. If you got one, odds are you made the mistake.

I'm flat out unwilling to pay the prices apple puts on things. A buddy of mine has a macbook, and when hardware has failed with that thing, the pricetag to replace simple things like a power cord or a disc drive were insane.

I'm always forced to wonder who is having all these stability issues with PCs to be honest. The only crash issues I've ever experienced have been hardware failures or drivers not liking a game I was running. Other than those things, windows has been solid for me(well, not ME)

Virus infections are kinda the same thing. If you got one, odds are you made the mistake.

I'm flat out unwilling to pay the prices apple puts on things. A buddy of mine has a macbook, and when hardware has failed with that thing, the pricetag to replace simple things like a power cord or a disc drive were insane.

3 of 5 my 5 PC's would crash, seemingly randomly. 2 of them got viruses that required reinstalling windows. (I don't know where the first virus came from. The second virus was a dorm wide thing from UNL network back in the undergrad days.) My roommate's computer (Mac user) didn't even hiccup.

So I guess I am one of those who was having stability issues.

Been running Windows on Dell's (both at home and at work) for 12 years and never had a single virus, issue or hiccup (I don't even run virus software). I know some people prefer to stay away from Dell, which is their choice, but if I was leaning towards another brand it'd definitely be HP or Sony. Never had issues with either of those at work.

As far as a Mac, they are a very stable and responsive computer and work quite well (if I had the money I'd have a Mac and PC), but they are not invincible. A buddy of mine has had to re-install Mac OS X about 7 times since having his due to viruses/OS issues. To me, it's all about how you use your computer and being smart about it.

I'm with strigori. I'm personally a PC guy myself...but I like them mostly because I have used them for years and can usually fix any problems that arise with them (when I do have them). I've built several of my own...so I can usually put together a comparable and much cheaper PC than buying a Mac. I think Macs are WAY over priced and have far too many OS updates (what version of Mac OSX are we on now? 10.5.7.4 Bobcat??) Hell, I don't even own an iPod. If I were to buy a portable MP3 player there are much cheaper and more feature filled options out there than the iPod.

regarding Macs and viruses...true PC's are more subject to receiving them (although if you're careful enough, you'll never have any problems. My work computer doesn't even contain antivirus software). But Macs aren't immune, it's just not very common...for now. Mainly because Macs aren't commonly owned by individuals. If the scale begins to tip the other way, you'll see more and more viruses being created for the Mac platform...I guarantee it. Here's a story of a guy hacking a Mac in just 10 seconds. If he can do it for a contest, anyone with enough smarts could just do it for fun:

http://www.scmagazineuk.com/Hacking-contes...article/129063/

--------

Anyway, Roxy...I don't want to assume anything, but I do feel as if you just want something simple. A Mac might be too much for you. HP is a viable, cheap option. I personally would also look at Toshiba or Sony too. I like both of their products in the electronic world.

Although I haven't tried it yet, I also have heard very positive things about Windows 7.

As far has brands go hp makes a great computer as far as software I have been running linix ubuntu and love it has the ease of use like a pc and as good of security as a mac I do not use my computer smart (download all kinds of crap) and have not had an issue very easy to install and you can run it with out installing windows from your computer

I have owned both. I now have a PC and always will. If you run Avast for virus protection, you will never have one.

As far as what brand, I would go to a pc shop and have one made for you. A lot cheaper and you can make it yours. Spend more money in areas that you will use all the time and less on things you don't need. I have never brought a pre-made pc.

I said all of the same things about Mac's (overpriced, yuppies, etc.) back when I used PC's. I'd just like to note that the people who are knocking Mac's are people who don't own them/haven't owned them. That might tell you something. I've owned both. I'd bet cacti has too.

Indeed. Switched over my last year of college.

Went Mac, and never went back.

My work computer is a Mac Pro with a 30" HD Cinema Monitor. Runs like a deer.