the screen passes suck

the bubble screen sucks

our play calling is predictable

our players are not tough

we need smashmouth

we need option

why don't we run more

why don't we use the tight ends more

I'm sure there are more, but these are the problems most Watson haters are having (it seems).

My take:

Watson is not the problem, he has become the scapegoat. Let me first say that I am not a big fan of this system and I wish we never would have stopped the option--but this is what we have.

I was watching football all day today--and you know what I saw? screens, bubbles, runs out of the shotgun and draws. The same stuff Watson calls. It was working OK for most of those schools.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason we are getting "predictalble passes and runs" is because our offensive players are not capable of doing more.

Watson spends 80 hours a week doing nothing but offense for a division I program. Don't you think the idea of "throwing downfield" has crossed his mind. There is probably a reason he doesn't do it. That reason is probably because our receivers couldn't catch a cold and our QB's are young and inexperienced. They can't manage to hook up on most 5 yard passes--it is pretty hard to have "unpredictable plays" when your people can't execute a play right in front of them. Well then "just run up the middle". I think that idea has probably also popped into watson's brain at some point. If it was that simple don't you think he would do it? The reason we don't is probably because our O-line can't knock anyone off the line and most of our RB's are hurt or are Freshmen.

Let's put it this way Watson hater-- You are now hired to be OC, what plays are YOU going to call? Remember, most passes will not be caught and most runs will be stuffed behind the line. Good luck. Seriously, think about this. It is 3rd and 6, what are you going to call?

This offense was never going to be good. The reason we put up numbers early on in the season is because we were hiding our deficiencies. Now ever team (and any fan who has watched more than a couple games) knows them. We simply don't have the players--yet. I see glimmers of hope out there--but most of them are young kids just getting experience. Give them a chance to grow.

Watson may not be the right guy for this job, and this offense is probably not the right offense for Nebraska, but a lot of the anger and bitching at Watson is misguided. You are a fan, you have a right to your opinion, but you don't have a right to be a jack-ass.

I am pissed that our team has sunk so low as to lose two straight and then look like crap against Baylor. I can't believe I just typed that. we have fallen so far... But changing coaches all the time is not how teams get back on top. :boxosoap

While I don't always agree with the play calls, I think they've been ok for the most part. The problem is really execution, especially in the O-line. They're just inconsistent. And then you've got the dropped balls, which have been an on and off issue all season.

So essentially this season it's been anyone's guess if a run or pass play will work due to O-line performance. Sometimes they dominate, sometimes they lose every battle almost to a man. In that case, wtf are you supposed to do? What plays do we have that you can count on when you have to stop and asks, "Gee, will the O-line properly execute this play? Will the receiver catch this ball?" for every single play in the book.

The answer is none. Well, maybe one. Punt.

Who has been recruiting these players that can't execute?

?

Well???

WATSON!!!!!

Nuff said.

don't throw that in there... guess who recruited Cody Green? it wasn't Watson <_< I don't think anyone wants to get into a recruiting battle here, there are guys on here that really know their stuff about the recruiting that goes on. And who has the final say on who gets a scholly? Not Watson Nuff said.

?

Well???

WATSON!!!!!

Nuff said.

don't throw that in there... guess who recruited Cody Green? it wasn't Watson <_< I don't think anyone wants to get into a recruiting battle here, there are guys on here that really know their stuff about the recruiting that goes on. And who has the final say on who gets a scholly? Not Watson Nuff said.

Who do you think recruited Green? Watson was most certainly a big part of Green coming to NU.

?

Well???

WATSON!!!!!

Nuff said.

Who do you think recruited Green? Watson was most certainly a big part of Green coming to NU.

Along with the other coaches...I thought they said Eckler during the broadcast, but could be wrong :dunno but they did not mention Watson. Like i said don't need to get into a recruiting riff, but all the coaches recruit all players whether O or D, no reason to single out Watson again for the talent brought in here....

BINGO!!!

Not much talent at WR, #1 RB is playin' hurt, backup RB's are inexperienced, #5 can't (won't) run so the wishy washy RB's are keyed more aggressively for the running game, #17's first start wasn't the greatest, but he has the freshman's first start excuse, #44 is blanketed, the o-line plays paddy cake.

This isn't a play calling issue, it's a talent issue. The Offense has been the backbone for the past few years under Wats (and Cally). We'll be there once both sides of the ball are clicking during the same year.

I will say that not that long ago, our offense was putting points on the board while the D liked to see the other team score more... the D was able to make a comeback in 2 years, really 1 with the help of Bo. The offense on the other hand is seeing a decline, but really who would have seen the adversity coming with this unit this year as far as injuries, shuffling Qb's etc...

Let me see if I have this right--

the screen passes suck

the bubble screen sucks

our play calling is predictable

our players are not tough

we need smashmouth

we need option

why don't we run more

why don't we use the tight ends more

I'm sure there are more, but these are the problems most Watson haters are having (it seems).

My take:

Watson is not the problem, he has become the scapegoat. Let me first say that I am not a big fan of this system and I wish we never would have stopped the option--but this is what we have.

I was watching football all day today--and you know what I saw? screens, bubbles, runs out of the shotgun and draws. The same stuff Watson calls. It was working OK for most of those schools.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason we are getting "predictalble passes and runs" is because our offensive players are not capable of doing more.

Watson spends 80 hours a week doing nothing but offense for a division I program. Don't you think the idea of "throwing downfield" has crossed his mind. There is probably a reason he doesn't do it. That reason is probably because our receivers couldn't catch a cold and our QB's are young and inexperienced. They can't manage to hook up on most 5 yard passes--it is pretty hard to have "unpredictable plays" when your people can't execute a play right in front of them. Well then "just run up the middle". I think that idea has probably also popped into watson's brain at some point. If it was that simple don't you think he would do it? The reason we don't is probably because our O-line can't knock anyone off the line and most of our RB's are hurt or are Freshmen.

Let's put it this way Watson hater-- You are now hired to be OC, what plays are YOU going to call? Remember, most passes will not be caught and most runs will be stuffed behind the line. Good luck. Seriously, think about this. It is 3rd and 6, what are you going to call?

This offense was never going to be good. The reason we put up numbers early on in the season is because we were hiding our deficiencies. Now ever team (and any fan who has watched more than a couple games) knows them. We simply don't have the players--yet. I see glimmers of hope out there--but most of them are young kids just getting experience. Give them a chance to grow.

Watson may not be the right guy for this job, and this offense is probably not the right offense for Nebraska, but a lot of the anger and bitching at Watson is misguided. You are a fan, you have a right to your opinion, but you don't have a right to be a jack-ass.

I am pissed that our team has sunk so low as to lose two straight and then look like crap against Baylor. I can't believe I just typed that. we have fallen so far... But changing coaches all the time is not how teams get back on top. :boxosoap

Sorry but when people go downfield with the ball it is a setup...they don't completely expect it to work and you might even get lucky to get a pass interference call. If one of your starters isn't getting the job done then you find someone who will. And who's job is it to get those guys ready to play...Oh IDK the coaches maybe? Most of us won't blame Bo really, because we know Watson basically has full control of the offense. So Bo can get his defense to go from basically crap to what it is now and Watson can't get his offense to do anything and he has been with the offense longer than Bo was with the team?

How about I put it this way...I see that the zone read, bubble screen, blah blah blah isn't working and yet I still keep running it? My best players are probably my tightends and I don't use them very often. The power formations we have been using have had success, but I go away from that and go back to my same plays that aren't. All my QB's must be taught to look at one guy the whole time cause that is what all of them do. I thought the QB position was Watson's specialty? I get to the 4 yard line and 1st down I call a pass when we obviously can't catch the ball. Or better yet we pass the ball on 3 straight downs and go 3 and out. Which usually happens in panic mode even if we are down 3 points. And I never consistently try to run the ball. The runs that get called are usually sprinkled in. I have 320 plays that I throw at these guys...yeah we don't run all of those, but I expect them to learn them.

Sorry but your job is to coach these guys and make them better, more prepared players. Bo did his job on the defense and he is head coach so the offense should fall on him too except we know that the offense is Watson's show. So Watson is not the full problem, but he isn't helping anything either. Coaches and schemes make a huge difference in this game...more than we probably think. Watson can't outcoach any defense and it shows. Plus I personally think we would be better off going back to a run first team, because the recruiting would be much easier. We can get the big boys for the line around here along with the running backs. We will never get a big time receiver and even if we do we won't get the ball in their hands. Those teams that were successful running these same plays are using those plays to get the ball in their playmakers hands. Cincinatti really comes to mind there.

Along with the other coaches...I thought they said Eckler during the broadcast, but could be wrong :dunno but they did not mention Watson. Like i said don't need to get into a recruiting riff, but all the coaches recruit all players whether O or D, no reason to single out Watson again for the talent brought in here....

Ekeler was the lead, but position coaches are ALWAYS involved heavily in recruiting a player at a position they coach.

To the OP -- :thumbs

We faced one of the worst run defenses in the country today. We could not even average 4 YPC. People kept complaining to stick with the run. But yet when we face one of the worst rush attacks in the country and can not consistently run, we still find something to complain about?

I've said it for months when people kept calling for Cody - if he got put on the field the offense would be scaled back an immense amount. Well, guess what you got today? You have a QB with limited knowledge of the offense, who will need his confidence built and is trying to break things down on the fly. And anyone expected a good offensive showing today?

People may as well get it out this week, because next week will be REALLY ugly going up against OU's defense.

Ekeler was the lead, but position coaches are ALWAYS involved heavily in recruiting a player at a position they coach.

To the OP -- :thumbs

We faced one of the worst run defenses in the country today. We could not even average 4 YPC. People kept complaining to stick with the run. But yet when we face one of the worst rush attacks in the country and can not consistently run, we still find something to complain about?

I've said it for months when people kept calling for Cody - if he got put on the field the offense would be scaled back an immense amount. Well, guess what you got today? You have a QB with limited knowledge of the offense, who will need his confidence built and is trying to break things down on the fly. And anyone expected a good offensive showing today?

People may as well get it out this week, because next week will be REALLY ugly going up against OU's defense.

So do you think Lee should be starting? I think it's pretty obvious that it will be ugly on the offensive side next week no matter WHO starts. Our WR's can't get open, if they do they don't catch the ball. We are playing kids at RB that nobody expected to see the field until at best 2011, our offensive line looks lost. Our TE's are lost in the shuffle.

Not really sure where they go from here, but I think Cody deserves at least to play the next two games to get that experience and momentum.

lets put it this way...Watson is in charge on a Division 1 offense, with a top tier defense behind him carrying his water. a sweet of set up as an o coordinator could look for, with a defensive minded head coach, not in his business, letting him take the reigns and run the whole offensive show from the get go. we have all seen the product on the field folks. do the job or dont. watson isnt getting it done. plain and simple.

We need to at least take some shots downfield. Everyone we play goes for the throat after we turn it over to them or they're successful on a fake punt etc., we hand off. We play like we're scared to death. Our freshmen aren't any younger than the ones we're playing against. At least if we take a chance we have a great D to keep us in the game, if the play fails. A long pass is just like a punt, which most possessions end in anyway.

I only get to see one college football game most weeks, as a Husker fan I watch ours. I can tell you I wouldn't watch us if I wasn't. The games stink!