Who has more to prove Saturday? Who wants it more?

Vince, perhaps you should define rivalry for us, I believe we may all have different ideas of what constitutes one. I am glad to see you have the intestinal fortitude to defend the onslaught of everyone disagreeing with you. Keep up the good work.

Considering I am the only one that is correct, the defense is really easy. But you'll never experience this. Here's the tip. Learn the ability to remove emotion from any topic and then learn to tell it like it is. Very few people have this ability.

Keep up the wrong work.

A rivalry game is one that can never be questioned as to whether or not it is a rivalry. NU vs. OU has tradition but since they no longer meet every year and play for the same stakes as they played for in the Big 8 days, the rivalry label is gone. Again it's a game with tradition. But today, it's solely just a game, than it is a rivalry.

so if anyone at all, including you, question the status of a rivalry, it is no longer a rivalry. So if you said, "I am 99% sure it is a rivalry," it is not because you hold a doubt. Beyond a reasonable doubt is not a high enough standard. I guess my point is that this is too subjective of a topic for absolutes, and I would argue it is a rivalry by a preponderance of the evidence.

The evidence is there. Whether you choose to see it and recognize it is up to you. Instead of you arguing to argue, see the reality of things first and foremost, then let it overcome your opinion.

Vince, perhaps you should define rivalry for us, I believe we may all have different ideas of what constitutes one. I am glad to see you have the intestinal fortitude to defend the onslaught of everyone disagreeing with you. Keep up the good work.

A rivalry game is one that can never be questioned as to whether or not it is a rivalry. NU vs. OU has tradition but since they no longer meet every year and play for the same stakes as they played for in the Big 8 days, the rivalry label is gone. Again it's a game with tradition. But today, it's solely just a game, than it is a rivalry.

Well, by your definition, then games like Wisconsin-Minnesota, or Notre Dame-Purdue, or Florida-Florida State, Florida-Miami, etc--- those shouldn't be rivalry games because they don't play every year either!

Those schools would argue that because each of those rivalries are very real, and they even compete for some of college football's most storied "trophies".

And what are the stakes? In many rivalries, the only thing at stake is bragging rights. Look at the downright hatred between Mizzou-KU fans. For years, bragging rights was all that mattered as neither team was relevant in the conference race. That didn't diminish the rivalry at all.

Well, on the national stage, OU-NU is a rivalry. Why do you think ABC picked it for the primetime spot rather than any of the other spots?

I'm not going to try and prove to you that it is is a rivalry, or that it isn't. You've shared your opinion, and I'm content with that. I've shared mine, and I'm content with that.

To the original poster: this was a great topic! I am very sad to see that it deviated towards whether or not OU/NU is a rivalry-a topic which was another thread. (gee thanks, Shamwow.)

Nearly every week in college football, we see an upset. We see an underachieving team put it all together for one night against an unsuspecting opponent not ready for the fight. Why can't that be Nebraska for once?!

I want to see Nebraska return the opening kick for a touchdown! I want to see the cameras shaking from the noise level at the stadium! On Oklahoma's ensuing possession, I want Nebraska to pick them off and run it in for another score! Then the place would be rocking!

I just want to see these Huskers playing with so much heart, intensity and desire! Those 3 things have been propelling the underdog to victory countless times in college football!

Comprehend much? As you can see it was not I that started this towards whether or not this is a rivalry.

All I did was prove that it's not.

Just like every game, the winner is the team that wants it more. Nothing is different for this weekends NU vs. OU game.

Yes it is different this is a RIVALRY game. :dumdum That makes all the difference! On top of being on National TV, will any players even remember last years A$$ whooping, do they even care!

Preach wrong brother. Preach wrong.

All you've done is proven that it's not a rivalry? Uh...no you haven't. Look- everybody is content with whatever anybody else wants to call this game. You seem to want to cry like a wah-wah baby if people don't agree with you. You seem to want to make every thread about YOU and not about the topic at hand.

Grow up.

Yes I have.Others can call it what they want, but when they challenge me they will always be proven to be wrong. Just like I'm doing with you and your post.

Now pick up your binky, wash it off ,and stick back in your mouth.

Considering I am the only one that is correct, the defense is really easy. But you'll never experience this. Here's the tip. Learn the ability to remove emotion from any topic and then learn to tell it like it is. Very few people have this ability.

Keep up the wrong work.

so if anyone at all, including you, question the status of a rivalry, it is no longer a rivalry. So if you said, "I am 99% sure it is a rivalry," it is not because you hold a doubt. Beyond a reasonable doubt is not a high enough standard. I guess my point is that this is too subjective of a topic for absolutes, and I would argue it is a rivalry by a preponderance of the evidence.

The evidence is there. Whether you choose to see it and recognize it is up to you. Instead of you arguing to argue, see the reality of things first and foremost, then let it overcome your opinion.

I appreciate you zen perspective. But the facts are as such: TO and Barry Switzer recognize this game as a rivalry, former and current players recognize this game as a rivalry, regional sports writers recognize this game as a rivalry, EA sports recognize this game as a rivalry, ABC recognize this game as a rivalry, most fans recognize this game as a rivalry. Some of the most important games in the history of college football has been played by these two teams; it would not have been called the game of the century had it not been for its rivalry status. That history and conviction cannot be ignored. Your only point is that we no longer play every year, instead we play 2 out of every 4 years; that is not infrequent enough to ignore all the other reasons this is a storied rivalry. And just because the teams are down does not mean it is not a rivalry, most rivalries are between irrelevant teams (look how dominant USC has been over ND, that is still a rivalry). It is ok to disagree and not personally believe it is a rivalry, but I’ll go with the consensus and believe it is, as the Dalahi Vince once said, “see the reality of things first and foremost, then let it overcome your opinion.”

Well, by your definition, then games like Wisconsin-Minnesota, or Notre Dame-Purdue, or Florida-Florida State, Florida-Miami, etc--- those shouldn't be rivalry games because they don't play every year either!

Those schools would argue that because each of those rivalries are very real, and they even compete for some of college football's most storied "trophies".

And what are the stakes? In many rivalries, the only thing at stake is bragging rights. Look at the downright hatred between Mizzou-KU fans. For years, bragging rights was all that mattered as neither team was relevant in the conference race. That didn't diminish the rivalry at all.

Well, on the national stage, OU-NU is a rivalry. Why do you think ABC picked it for the primetime spot rather than any of the other spots?

I'm not going to try and prove to you that it is is a rivalry, or that it isn't. You've shared your opinion, and I'm content with that. I've shared mine, and I'm content with that.

What are the bragging right between OU and NU? Here let me answer that. Nothing!

On a national stage OU NU is not a rivalry. Read the below and learn. Stop spewing opinions without merit or accuracy. From a national perspective, read the below articles and then tell me if the national media deems OU vs. NU is still a rivalry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncf

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/217508-...ivalries#page/1

http://blogcritics.org/sports/article/best...ball-rivalries/

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/050902

What are the bragging right between OU and NU? Here let me answer that. Nothing!

On a national stage OU NU is not a rivalry. Read the below and learn. Stop spewing opinions without merit or accuracy. From a national perspective, read the below articles and then tell me if the national media deems OU vs. NU is still a rivalry.

What about the rest of my post. The only reason I mentioned ABC is because they are airing the game, which if not for the rivalry would be lackluster. Also, when did we allow the media define anything regarding NU?

What about the rest of my post. The only reason I mentioned ABC is because they are airing the game, which if not for the rivalry would be lackluster. Also, when did we allow the media define anything regarding NU?

What about the rest of your post? You are bringing in emotion in hopes of creating something that isn't there. The difference is I'm dealing with reality while your dealing in emotion. You want to be right so bad that you are willing to say anything to justify your opinion all the while ignoring the realities.

Emotion is leading the likes of your to call it whatever you want. The realities just happen to be completely accurate compared to your opinion.

What about the rest of your post? You are bringing in emotion in hopes of creating something that isn't there. The difference is I'm dealing with reality while your dealing in emotion. You want to be right so bad that you are willing to say anything to justify your opinion all the while ignoring the realities.

Emotion is leading the likes of your to call it whatever you want. The realities just happen to be completely accurate compared to your opinion.

Thank you. Would you agree to degrees of rivalry? I am just saying that it is the history of this game that makes it not only important, but a rivalry. To me, history is the most important part of a rivalry and that is why CU v. NU is not a rivalry. But it is possible I am wrong and allowing emotion get the best of me, although I think it is just a difference of opinion, I do not understand why you are so big a calling it emotion; I mean, I'm not even using emoticons, the greatest and truest indicator of emotion.

Thank you. Would you agree to degrees of rivalry? I am just saying that it is the history of this game that makes it not only important, but a rivalry. To me, history is the most important part of a rivalry and that is why CU v. NU is not a rivalry. But it is possible I am wrong and allowing emotion get the best of me, although I think it is just a difference of opinion, I do not understand why you are so big a calling it emotion; I mean, I'm not even using emoticons, the greatest and truest indicator of emotion.

Thanks. That explains so much. It now makes sense.

I'm done with this. I'll respond when you come back with posts on this topic based on accuracy without emotion.

Until then, you are free to continue to argue to argue.

Thanks. That explains so much. It now makes sense.

I'm done with this. I'll respond when you come back with posts on this topic based on accuracy without emotion.

Until then, you are free to continue to argue to argue.

You are really something, I try making a point throughout my post, and then I make a joke; so you dismiss the entire post and only focus on the joke to make your non-point. way to go. This explains a lot as you seem to have made this a habit. Try reading the whole post and only responding to the substance of it. I asked you a question, do you believe there are degrees to a rivalry, or is it all or nothing?

Replying to Who has more to prove Saturday? Who wants it more?

we can offer OPINIONS about who wants the win more my friends but the question will be answered on the field saturday.

as far as the rivalry goes. shamwow has offered up some national perspective, sd'sker and others local and regional perspective as well as their own.

often, rivalry is in the eye of the beholder and is sometimes one sided.

I might add, many of the examples, switzer, osborne et al, were right about the rivalry. It definitely WAS a rivalry back in the day. Being old, I witnessed it as well. But being old and seeing how the OU/Nu game has evolved. I definitely have the OPINION that the rivalry is pretty much over.

To get a feel of present day context, I would recommend perusing the OU boards, look back through the pages of posts, get an idea who the OU fanbase considers their rivals. Look at their posts before "other" rivals and compare to those this week. See who they blast on a daily basis.

it's kinda eye opening.

or just argue about it some more.

whatever.

after all we are just posters offering up OPINIONS on a forum, what else do we have to do?? :dunno

GO BO!!

BEAT OU!!

I would agree with clone completely. And looking to OU fans is a good point, I guess a rivalry should be consensual. If NU does reemerge as a Big XII North power and the Big XII comes down to NU/OU for a couple of years I think the rivalry will quickly return, but for now, maybe I am just grasping for the good old days (even though I was born in the mid-80's.)