Helu Article

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/schae...or-nu-1.2054263

After watching Roy Helu Jr. gash a Virginia Tech defense for 169 yards, even the most pessimistic of Cornhusker fans had to be excited about the prospective return of the dominant running style that symbolized Nebraska’s great success in the 1990s.

Turns out that was the last time any Nebraska back broke 100 yards rushing.

Since that game, Helu has been quiet. He still has a nice average, 4.8 yards per carry, but he’s only carried the ball 61 times in the past five games. Compare that with his 58 carries in the first three games of the season, and there has been a noticeable drop-off.

Helu injured his shoulder against Missouri late in the game and hasn’t been the same player since. Even coach Bo Pelini has said Helu has run tentatively lately. Against Iowa State and Baylor, he only carried the ball a total of 12 times.

With his production dropping steadily, the question becomes: Why is Helu even playing?

A week ago, Pelini made it seem like it was Helu’s decision.

“I expect him to play like he is OK if he puts himself in the football game, period, end of story,” Pelini said. “If you’re hurt, you’re hurt. If you’re not and you walk out there on the field, I expect you to give it up and to play the way we expect you to play.”

Helu said he never considered sitting out.

“Our coaching and our training staff do rehabilitation every morning,” Helu said. “I’ve been doing very well in physical therapy.”

His progress in physical therapy has translated into two fumbles and 27 carries in three games. Maybe I’m naive, but I’d expect a head coach to have a better grasp on a player’s injury. Everyone wants to play, even when injured. This is where Pelini or offensive coordinator Shawn Watson steps in and tells Helu to save himself for another day. But Pelini and Watson ignored it and chose to trot him out there anyway. Even a star like Helu becomes more of a liability than an asset when he plays at less than full-strength.

Helu says he’s healthy now.

“It’s getting better, 100 percent,” Helu said after practice Tuesday.

Curiously, he wouldn’t say what percent he was operating at for the last two weeks when he wore a no-contact jersey each day. But Helu still started each Saturday, even though Pelini talks at length about all of the options the offense has at running back.

At least that was the theme in fall camp. Nebraska’s deepest position entering the season was supposed to be running back. With Helu returning after a breakout sophomore season, it was the one part of the offense that didn’t have any question marks.

It’s become obvious that Nebraska was only three-deep at running back in August with Helu, Quentin Castille and Rex Burkhead. Castille was removed from the team for breaking an undisclosed team rule, and Burkhead broke his foot after the Missouri game. On Tuesday, Pelini said Burkhead won’t be back until Colorado at the earliest.

Now Nebraska’s deepest position is incredibly thin.

Burkhead’s injury forced the team to burn freshman Dontrayevous Robinson’s redshirt in the sixth game of the season, a tough decision for a team to make this late in the year. But Robinson has played like the starter, taking some of the burden off Helu and has scored Nebraska’s only offensive touchdowns in the last two weeks.

Even with Robinson proving to be a reliable player, Helu has still dressed and played in every game. Is an injured Helu that much better than backups Marcus Mendoza, Lester Ward, Austin Jones and Collins Okafor?

Helu made it seem like those players are all vying for his spot.

“It’s competitive. All you can ask from us is to do our best,” Helu said. “I need to step up in that regard.”

Running backs coach Tim Beck said he’s seen Helu’s confidence pick up this week at practice. He added that Helu has probably been down the last two weeks.“He’s come into this week with a different mentality,” Beck said. “He’s shown that at practice.”

Helu maintains that he hasn’t felt bad for himself. “Nah, you expect to go through a season banged up,” Helu said. “There’s been frustration, but it’s only when I let my mind dwell on it.”

His focus is now on Oklahoma. Helu said he expects to play but isn’t anticipating having a big game.

“We’ll see, it depends on playcalling and tempo of the game,” Helu said. “Any running back would love to get as many carries as they want against any defense.”

Nebraska is in a position where it needs Helu to rush like he did against Virginia Tech to help open up other facets of the offense. With freshman Cody Green at the helm, Helu’s presence would provide the quarterback relief as he gets set to play better teams.

Instead, this Saturday, the Sooners are more likely to face a backfield that includes two freshmen playing in their first high-pressure collegiate game. This team is a win away from qualifying for a bowl but has sights set higher than that. Nebraska won’t be going anywhere without a return to form by Helu.

If his dancing image isn’t filling up Nebraska’s video board during the month of November, then it will be a long winter for Husker fans.

something is wrong here, very wrong......i think the kid is hurt and Bo wants him to play anyway.....that sucks! i think Pelini is thinking of himself and not his players......pressure is affecting his ability to coach, IMHO.

I dont agree with you, Hunter I don't think Bo would risk a players health. He may just be caught up in "coach speak"

Besides we dont really run the ball all that much anyhow.. :sarcasm