SIGNED ATH Jake Cotton

On Big Red Wrap Up last night Callahan was saying that he thinks cotton will start out on defense. Then in an article today Pelini said he wants to get one more o lineman which would make sense if cotton is starting out on d. My question is, does the staff see him really bulking up and playing a huge stuffer at DT or do they think he is going to be a potter type end? He really doesn't fit the mold of what we have been taking at DE lately (Ankrah 6'4, williams 6'4, meredith 6'4) so I think they'll put him at DT give him a redshirt and maybe grow into his body by the time he is a redshirt soph or junior. If he really hits the weights hard and his genes begin to kick in I could see him well over 300 lbs at 6'7.

I think there could be a stink of NCAA violations if they have him walk on maybe. He could walk on and BC his father works for the school he could go for free. So lets day some kid wants to walk on but cant afford it so they hire his dad to sweep the floor once a week so he can come play football.

i dunno why he couldn't have just walked on. Maybe cause Barney won't be here next year?

for that matter, why give scholarships to any white kids from nebraska? after all, they all love us enough to pay their own way. we are wasting valuable scholarships on guys like o'hanlon, crick, henery, ty steinkuhler, todd peterson, etc.? someone forward this idea to TO immediately!

either pelini is purposefully sabotaging this class or barney has something on him, because there's no way the 6'7 son of an NFL lineman (and brother of a promising young tight end) could have any where near the athletic ability of kids that put together video tapes and go to camps.

for that matter, why give scholarships to any white kids from nebraska? after all, they all love us enough to pay their own way. we are wasting valuable scholarships on guys like o'hanlon, crick, henery, ty steinkuhler, todd peterson, etc.? someone forward this idea to TO immediately!

either pelini is purposefully sabotaging this class or barney has something on him, because there's no way the 6'7 son of an NFL lineman (and brother of a promising young tight end) could have any where near the athletic ability of kids that put together video tapes and go to camps.

:yeah

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on this same topic every year. Same story, different recruit.

Theres a difference, the others had offers! From the sounds of it Cotton was hearing from some schools but nothing official. Also these other "white" kids didnt have fathers on the staff. was adam watson a schollie player? Crick had quite a few offers, o'hanlon, henery and pederson did all walk on, proved they were worth of a schollie and got one. Thats what the walk on program is for when it comes to NU. If we just offered every so so talented guy from nebraska we would never get anywhere. It's when we can get guys that have the POTENTIAL to be a D1 talent to walk on and pass up offers from lower level D1 schools like Ohio or Buffalo or CSU that we really get an advantage. In Cotton's case, yes we could have got him as a walk on, he could have earned his schollie just like hundreds of other Nebraskans have done.

Theres a difference, the others had offers! From the sounds of it Cotton was hearing from some schools but nothing official. Also these other "white" kids didnt have fathers on the staff. was adam watson a schollie player? Crick had quite a few offers, o'hanlon, henery and pederson did all walk on, proved they were worth of a schollie and got one. Thats what the walk on program is for when it comes to NU. If we just offered every so so talented guy from nebraska we would never get anywhere. It's when we can get guys that have the POTENTIAL to be a D1 talent to walk on and pass up offers from lower level D1 schools like Ohio or Buffalo or CSU that we really get an advantage. In Cotton's case, yes we could have got him as a walk on, he could have earned his schollie just like hundreds of other Nebraskans have done.

did other schools watch him play? did he go to other camps besides NU, where our coaches got to evaluate him in person? did he send video to schools? to recruiting services? did the recruiting services ever even evaluate him and put him on their lists that lots of schools use for recruiting? did other schools assume he would go to NU no matter what (as you and some others apparently believe he would have)? i mean, heck, if he was going to walk-on at dear old NU no matter what, why would other schools even bother offering the kid?

for that matter, why does it matter that his father's on staff? do you really think pelini gave preferential treatment (to the detriment of his team's ability to win games) as a favor or do you just think that coaches kids should automatically have to walk-on? did you feel the same way about ben cotton? does adam watson possess the same athletic potential as jake cotton? is it possible that big men with athletic ability are a valuable commodity in college football, regardless of their father's profession?

i love the walk-on program, but at some point even nebraska kids deserve scholarships if you think they can help you win games. otherwise, why not just ask o'hanlon, henery, peterson, et. al. to continue to pay their own way? i mean, heck, they're going to play for NU anyway. we could just as easily use their scholarships to get some recruits that are jeremy crabtree approved! :w00t:w00t:w00t

FWIW, Matt Slauson was unranked by Rivals, and he turned out to be at least a serviceable starter for us. He only had 2 other D1 offers if I recall correctly. Similar in size to Jake, although a bit heavier when he was recruited. Mike Huff was a 2 star and didn't have any other D1 offers, and he did OK. At some point, we have to trust the judgment of the coaches. Honestly, the fact that Watson's son is a walk-on tells me that Cotton wouldn't have gotten this offer if he didn't deserve it.