SIGNED ATH Jake Cotton

FWIW, Matt Slauson was unranked by Rivals, and he turned out to be at least a serviceable starter for us. He only had 2 other D1 offers if I recall correctly. Similar in size to Jake, although a bit heavier when he was recruited. Mike Huff was a 2 star and didn't have any other D1 offers, and he did OK. At some point, we have to trust the judgment of the coaches. Honestly, the fact that Watson's son is a walk-on tells me that Cotton wouldn't have gotten this offer if he didn't deserve it.

Good point on Slauson. Like all of the verbals, ask me in 4-5 years how things went for the kid.

i dunno why he couldn't have just walked on. Maybe cause Barney won't be here next year?

for that matter, why give scholarships to any white kids from nebraska? after all, they all love us enough to pay their own way. we are wasting valuable scholarships on guys like o'hanlon, crick, henery, ty steinkuhler, todd peterson, etc.? someone forward this idea to TO immediately!

either pelini is purposefully sabotaging this class or barney has something on him, because there's no way the 6'7 son of an NFL lineman (and brother of a promising young tight end) could have any where near the athletic ability of kids that put together video tapes and go to camps.

Sarcasm aside, you are suggesting he may not be that bad of a prospect and comes from a good football family. This is true, and for all i know he may indeed be a good prospect.

But if so, why haven't we heard of him before now? As stated, he comes with a good pedigree and his father is even the OL coach at a major D1 football program. I find it hard to believe lack of exposure is the problem here. More likely there have been plenty of people that have seen him play, just that none of them came away very impressed with his abilities. I can't say he's a poor prospect anymore than you can guarantee he's a good prospect - all we can do is go off the information at hand. And to me that suggests that this offer is a shaddy one. Obviously, i would love for Jake to come here and prove me wrong about this.

The comment about NCAA rules violations is interesting. Maybe the only way the staff could put him on the team was to put him on scholly. I’d be less critical in this situation, but still not happy about using a scholly in a limited year for an offer like this. Also, I thought coaches sons have walked onto the football program at other places.

i dunno why he couldn't have just walked on. Maybe cause Barney won't be here next year?

for that matter, why give scholarships to any white kids from nebraska? after all, they all love us enough to pay their own way. we are wasting valuable scholarships on guys like o'hanlon, crick, henery, ty steinkuhler, todd peterson, etc.? someone forward this idea to TO immediately!

either pelini is purposefully sabotaging this class or barney has something on him, because there's no way the 6'7 son of an NFL lineman (and brother of a promising young tight end) could have any where near the athletic ability of kids that put together video tapes and go to camps.

Sarcasm aside, you are suggesting he may not be that bad of a prospect and comes from a good football family. This is true, and for all i know he may indeed be a good prospect.

But if so, why haven't we heard of him before now? As stated, he comes with a good pedigree and his father is even the OL coach at a major D1 football program. I find it hard to believe lack of exposure is the problem here. More likely there have been plenty of people that have seen him play, just that none of them came away very impressed with his abilities. I can't say he's a poor prospect anymore than you can guarantee he's a good prospect - all we can do is go off the information at hand. And to me that suggests that this offer is a shaddy one. Obviously, i would love for Jake to come here and prove me wrong about this.

The comment about NCAA rules violations is interesting. Maybe the only way the staff could put him on the team was to put him on scholly. I’d be less critical in this situation, but still not happy about using a scholly in a limited year for an offer like this. Also, I thought coaches sons have walked onto the football program at other places.

in addition to the possible reasons i already listed above about why we may not have heard of him, you might also consider the possibility that recruiting services (as well as coaching staffs) are not omniscient, particularly when a kid plays for a low profile school. even moreso when that kid has a huge late growth spurt that increases his potential dramatically.

as far as the offer beign shady, what do you mean by that? did you intend to say confusing or baffling or do you actually think something nefarious is afoot? you're correct that you and i can't make any definitive statements on this kid's ability to play football, but it does seem obvious that people can only believe one of two things: either that the coaching staff feels this kid displays athletic potential deserving of a scholarhship or that they are purposefully taking a kid with lesser potential (presumably due to nepotism).

if you, or anyone else, believes the second option, then i dont think you understand bo pelini. that man seemingly wants to win as much or more than any coach we've had. we've had coaches sons walk on in the past and at least one (ben cotton) get a scholarship (apparently with good reason). i think it's obvious that the difference is talent. just like every other offer, they go to the kids the coaches think can be significant contributors.

if you at least agree that the coaching staff sees something in this kid, the question becomes whether or not they are correct. as others have said, we won't know the answer for a few years. but, to this point, i'm willing to trust our staff's ability to evaluate prospects more than i trust recruiting services (or even other schools) to first find and then properly evaluate every player.

for what it's worth, i wouldn't mind grayshirting this kid, or any other lineman that could use a year to develop and is willing and able to do so.

also, NCAA rules are unlikely to have anything to do with it. adam watson and austin cassidy are both current walk-ons.

in addition to the possible reasons i already listed above about why we may not have heard of him, you might also consider the possibility that recruiting services (as well as coaching staffs) are not omniscient, particularly when a kid plays for a low profile school. even moreso when that kid has a huge late growth spurt that increases his potential dramatically.

as far as the offer beign shady, what do you mean by that? did you intend to say confusing or baffling or do you actually think something nefarious is afoot? you're correct that you and i can't make any definitive statements on this kid's ability to play football, but it does seem obvious that people can only believe one of two things: either that the coaching staff feels this kid displays athletic potential deserving of a scholarhship or that they are purposefully taking a kid with lesser potential (presumably due to nepotism).

if you, or anyone else, believes the second option, then i dont think you understand bo pelini. that man seemingly wants to win as much or more than any coach we've had. we've had coaches sons walk on in the past and at least one (ben cotton) get a scholarship (apparently with good reason). i think it's obvious that the difference is talent. just like every other offer, they go to the kids the coaches think can be significant contributors.

if you at least agree that the coaching staff sees something in this kid, the question becomes whether or not they are correct. as others have said, we won't know the answer for a few years. but, to this point, i'm willing to trust our staff's ability to evaluate prospects more than i trust recruiting services (or even other schools) to first find and then properly evaluate every player.

for what it's worth, i wouldn't mind grayshirting this kid, or any other lineman that could use a year to develop and is willing and able to do so.

also, NCAA rules are unlikely to have anything to do with it. adam watson and austin cassidy are both current walk-ons.

dylan, I agree with everything you have said. It has been a bit irritating to read all the banter on this young man. There are lots of reasons that Jake doesn't have other offers. Heck look at another commit in this class, Enunwa. That young man is just starting to blow up for a variety of reasons. He hasn't played much until this year because he was behind another DIV 1 prospect. Because of that he didn't have a lot of film to send out until after he played several games. Then the Coach of his team only sent the film to a handful of programs that he had a great relationship with and trusted, NU happened to be one. NU offered and impressed the young man before the visibility on him widened beyond the small section of schools. Now it appears that other teams and evaluators from Rivals and Scout think this kid is a stud and an absolute steal for NU. Do I think that maybe Jake will be asked to Grey Shirt, absolutely if it means the staff will be able to take OO or someone of his ilk. But that doesn't mean that this young man isn't worth of a scholarship offer to NU.

IMO this has nothing at all to do with recruiting rankings or services getting his film out. If that does happen and more schools offer him a schollie then you offer him a schollie. If not then just get him in as a perferred walk on. It'd be different if we offered him a schollie early and everyone just assumed that he would come to NU but we wait until November to offer the kid? He's in Lincoln, he went to their camp and he still only got an offer in November? If he was really that worthy of an offer don't you think they would have seen enough at camp or gone to one of his games and offered him a schollie right away? Hell Reeves, a junior camped their and got an offer right away. Kinda reminds me of Kildow from Millard South. I'd be willing to be our plan all along was to get him as a walk on, especially after he got hurt. However, if he never got hurt and Iowa or KSU offered him I also would have bet that NU would have come through with the offer. Everyone keeps saying well Ben got an offer and he's the coaches son, Ben had several offers from different schools.

IMO this has nothing at all to do with recruiting rankings or services getting his film out. If that does happen and more schools offer him a schollie then you offer him a schollie. If not then just get him in as a perferred walk on. It'd be different if we offered him a schollie early and everyone just assumed that he would come to NU but we wait until November to offer the kid? He's in Lincoln, he went to their camp and he still only got an offer in November? If he was really that worthy of an offer don't you think they would have seen enough at camp or gone to one of his games and offered him a schollie right away? Hell Reeves, a junior camped their and got an offer right away. Kinda reminds me of Kildow from Millard South. I'd be willing to be our plan all along was to get him as a walk on, especially after he got hurt. However, if he never got hurt and Iowa or KSU offered him I also would have bet that NU would have come through with the offer. Everyone keeps saying well Ben got an offer and he's the coaches son, Ben had several offers from different schools.

Not all kids get the offer right after camp. I believe that Jake underwent a growth spurt this year and is playing a new position at a new school this year. The Coaches probably saw potential this Summer but wanted to see how Jake did this year before they offered. No film is out because Jake and Barney didn't send it out, otherwise how do you know he wouldn't be getting more offers lately just like Enunwa did. I am betting that Enunwa camped at least once this Summer somewhere so why didn't he get more offers than he did until very recently? Same deal, the schools that knew of him were taking a wait and see approach since the young man didn't have any Jr. Year Track History to go off of. Jake didn't have track history either. Reeves has track history already, he isn't a secret. Ben also had track history because he played at the same HS for a few years and they sent film out to several schools and I am sure he camped at a couple of places. Jake didn't have any of that, if he developed into a player this year then few schools even know about it.

From 1990-1997, Nebraska's average class size had 22 recruits. During that same time period, we averaged 6.25 instate commits per class. T.O. didn't ask every instate kid that he wanted in the program to walk-on, so why should Bo?

Also, Ryan Hill had no other offers and was not rated by the services in 2006 when we offered. He played in class 5A for Arvada West in Denver, so it's not like he should have been totally under the radar. I didn't hear the teeth gnashing about this offer, especially when Rivals "validated" the offer with a 3-star rating and listed him as the 41st best TE prospect in the nation.

ryan hill was our only te recruit and we probably didn't have any other options. in the case of enunwa do you think he would have walked on at NU if we asked him? Not a chance. if cotton plays on d then it looks to me that we have ashburn, vestel, guy, rome already committed with the potential to add OO, Mobley, and Jones. We already have two o linemen with two committed for next class and Bo said after Cotton committed that he wants one more OL which leads me to believe that he is headed for D, which I pointed to the depth and options still on board. BOTTOM LINE is we could have gotten Cotton as a walk on and saved a schollie in a small class for someone else who we may need one for. It doesn't matter if ryan hill had no offers, how many nebraska kids TO took in his day, his dad being an NFL lineman, Pederson Henery Crick or whoever else was mentioned being from nebraska being successful. None of it matters at all one tiny bit. What I am saying is if you can get a guy as a walk on in a small class when we have several others interested who require a schollie to even think about coming here, you don't offer a guy who is a 100% lock to come to NU a schollie when he has no other offers.

I’m not worried about rivals or scout lack of stars. Supposedly he didn’t play the game with them so they didn’t evaluate him. I can believe that. What troubles me is that this offer literally came out of nowhere. It appears nobody was expecting this, there had not been any rumblings about his performances at past NU camps, etc. Usually a good prospect in the state of NE attracts these things, and I would think especially so when his family is very prominent with the NU athletic department.

By shaddy, I mean at least baffling for the reasons listed above. Take the white, NE part out of the equation. Say this is just some kid from Mississippi or Wyoming – wherever you like. Woudn’t it seem strange to offer a kid from these areas nobody has ever heard, and whose biggest interest to date had been mostly DII schools? For me, this has nothing to do with “hating” on NE kids.

Imagine a politican awarding a very important and highly lucrative contract to some small engineering firm nobody has ever heard of. Seems strange yes? Now imagine the owner of this firm is related to the politician. In such a situation wouldn’t we all question the honesty of what is going on? To me, similar questions arise with this offer.

I don’t doubt Bo wants to win, but I suspect part of Bo’s management style is not to micromanage his assistants. I can see them having a lot of leeway in determining players they want and making offers. Could be a situation where Bo trust Barney to choose his OL, but Barney is not being impartial enough when he looks at his own son. Something like this is what I fear.

bull, you don't wait for other schools to find out about a kid before you give him real love. you either think he's good enough or you don't. as i said before, if you only give scholarships when you're forced to, what's the pont of giving them to walk-ons that earn it? what are they going to do, transfer? the point is that if you're good enough, you get a schollie. jerking kids around and getting people in by any means possible was for the last staff.

as to why they waited, who knows? was it the late growth? was it the chance to see him play his senior year with his new size? was he injured before? did a growing 17-18 year old somehow make great strides during his senior season? it's not like they took him on signing day. we have a quickly filling class and they decided to he was worth an offer. you can pretend it's because bo is a clueless manager and evil barney cotton is doing his best to take advantage of him if you want, but i think it's clear that the coaches think the kid can play.

I’m not worried about rivals or scout lack of stars. Supposedly he didn’t play the game with them so they didn’t evaluate him. I can believe that. What troubles me is that this offer literally came out of nowhere. It appears nobody was expecting this, there had not been any rumblings about his performances at past NU camps, etc. Usually a good prospect in the state of NE attracts these things, and I would think especially so when his family is very prominent with the NU athletic department.

By shaddy, I mean at least baffling for the reasons listed above. Take the white, NE part out of the equation. Say this is just some kid from Mississippi or Wyoming – wherever you like. Woudn’t it seem strange to offer a kid from these areas nobody has ever heard, and whose biggest interest to date had been mostly DII schools? For me, this has nothing to do with “hating” on NE kids.

Imagine a politican awarding a very important and highly lucrative contract to some small engineering firm nobody has ever heard of. Seems strange yes? Now imagine the owner of this firm is related to the politician. In such a situation wouldn’t we all question the honesty of what is going on? To me, similar questions arise with this offer.

I don’t doubt Bo wants to win, but I suspect part of Bo’s management style is not to micromanage his assistants. I can see them having a lot of leeway in determining players they want and making offers. Could be a situation where Bo trust Barney to choose his OL, but Barney is not being impartial enough when he looks at his own son. Something like this is what I fear.

so you question either the honesty of the staff or bo's ability to prevent his employees from pulling a fast one on him. got it.

So I guess HYPOTHETICALLY here's your logic...you have one spot left in the class, we have two prospects that are left interested in us and we have not extended an offer to either one. It's known that if we offer either one they will commit to NU. One is a four star safety with offers from several division one schools. He has expressed very high interest in NU and has taken an offical visit to NU. We also have an in state guy with no offers from any other school as a prospect. Its assumed that the in state guy will walk on regardless if we give him a schollie or not, however the four star guy would go elsewhere if we asked him to walk on. By your logic we still extend the offer to the in state guy bc we think he deserves on, totally ignoring the fact that we could have gotten him either way. We lose the four star guy and walk away with a guy we were guarenteed to get in any circumstance. Sounds like the perfect plan to me! It's not for the other staff to do so don't act like the other staff only jerked in state kids around bc they offered plenty. The guys you mentioned, Crick, Henery, Pederson, all were either offered or walked on for the previous staff. The walk on program is for guys who are a little underrated or develop late then blossom and end up earning that schollie. That sounds pretty much to the T what happened with Cotton. He developed late, is not recruited very heavily and is an in state guy. Sounds like the perfect walk on. I am not saying in any way that he can not pan out to be a very very good player, just that offer makes nooo sense.

So I guess HYPOTHETICALLY here's your logic...you have one spot left in the class, we have two prospects that are left interested in us and we have not extended an offer to either one. It's known that if we offer either one they will commit to NU. One is a four star safety with offers from several division one schools. He has expressed very high interest in NU and has taken an offical visit to NU. We also have an in state guy with no offers from any other school as a prospect. Its assumed that the in state guy will walk on regardless if we give him a schollie or not, however the four star guy would go elsewhere if we asked him to walk on. By your logic we still extend the offer to the in state guy bc we think he deserves on, totally ignoring the fact that we could have gotten him either way. We lose the four star guy and walk away with a guy we were guarenteed to get in any circumstance. Sounds like the perfect plan to me! It's not for the other staff to do so don't act like the other staff only jerked in state kids around bc they offered plenty. The guys you mentioned, Crick, Henery, Pederson, all were either offered or walked on for the previous staff. The walk on program is for guys who are a little underrated or develop late then blossom and end up earning that schollie. That sounds pretty much to the T what happened with Cotton. He developed late, is not recruited very heavily and is an in state guy. Sounds like the perfect walk on. I am not saying in any way that he can not pan out to be a very very good player, just that offer makes nooo sense.

I am pretty sure that if the 4 Star wanted a spot, the staff will make a spot. I would say that it is a safe bet that Jake is prepared to Grey Shirt if needed. I don't think Jake will preclude the staff from taking either one of the Safeties on the board, Gio, OO, or Hill if they all want to come.