SIGNED ATH Jake Cotton

I guess the only one I can think of in the NFL is Haynsworth and I believe he's 6'6 and Baker is 6'6 and Crick is 6'6 as well I think. Carriker is also a DT and he's 6'6 as well.

Yeah, and I would guess the accuracy of those measurements makes them roughly the same height. I seem to remember the board talking about how Bo really liked short DT's when he first got here. Now it seems like the complete opposite.

At 6'7" he's the tallest DT I've ever heard of. I'm sure there are examples, just can't think of any.

i'd be surprised if he were actually 6'7. in any case, if he does stay on defense, i would expect him to be more of a big DE (zach potter style) than DT.

It makes a lot of sense to put these 6'6" guys on the D line. As long as they can be successfully coached to get down and play low (and they are), you've got yourself big, athletic linemen who can use good technique to get their leverage, but who can also get up and obscure the QB's view, tip passes, give chase and make tackles in the open field, and eat up blockers/slow down runners with their wingspan. And as long as they're being taught good technique, that extra wingspan will help them fight off offensive linemen as well.

We just saw how a successful a tall D line can be when they're well coached this season. It was almost like having four DT/DE hybrids on the line who could each do it all.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some senior video from huskers.com. Moves well for a 6'7" kid just coming-off a ridiculous growth-spurt. I wasn't wild when we offered him but I do think he has real potential. The Cotton in him just took longer to show-up.

My link

I looked at the tape and I liked what I saw. He is quick and fights thru blocks. We will look back and see what a great job the coaches did with him. Look the kid is huge, I wish I had the size he has. The coaches can build him faster and stronger like the 6 million dollar man.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that video was really impressive. Considering all the negativity around his commitment, he will have a huge chip on his shoulder and hopefully he can harness that into some solid play.

I'm gonna get laughed at for this, but I really thought some of his highlights looked like Suh highlights...running down the QB halfway across the field, bulling through the o-line

:nanalama

• Fire 1
  • 6 months later...