The Nebraska Horseshoe in the locker room

BamaBeta

The horseshoe was found when they started tearing down the grounds of the old Nebraska field after the 1922 Notre Dame win (4 horsemen game) Which was the last game at the old field before moving to Memorial Stadium for 1923.

So when the team played Notre Dame for the rematch in 1923 they tapped the horseshoe for good luck. Nebraska won again so they kept right on tapping that shoe.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Blackshirt316 said:

The horseshoe was found when they started tearing down the grounds of the old Nebraska field after the 1922 Notre Dame win (4 horsemen game) Which was the last game at the old field before moving to Memorial Stadium for 1923.

So when the team played Notre Dame for the rematch in 1923 they tapped the horseshoe for good luck. Nebraska won again so they kept right on tapping that shoe.

Sounds like a great reason to keep tapping it.

I believe Nebraska is the only team to ever beat the 4 horsemen.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sounds like a great reason to keep tapping it.

I believe Nebraska is the only team to ever beat the 4 horsemen.

Harry Stuhldreher, James Crowley, Don Miller and Elmer Layden were regarded as the greatest backfield ever. The "Four Horsemen" lost just two of the 30 games they played together, and both losses came at the hands of Nebraska

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/top-50/beating-the-four-horsemen/article_41969b09-56bf-5f59-aaeb-ab4bca0bf88d.html

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, Fru said:

Harry Stuhldreher, James Crowley, Don Miller and Elmer Layden were regarded as the greatest backfield ever. The "Four Horsemen" lost just two of the 30 games they played together, and both losses came at the hands of Nebraska

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/top-50/beating-the-four-horsemen/article_41969b09-56bf-5f59-aaeb-ab4bca0bf88d.html

I'd read more of the Journal Star if Sipple wrote like they did back in the Twenties. 

• Plus1 5

23 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I love it. Nebraska made Notre Dame impotent.

I can't see the article so sorry if it's mentioned, but Notre Dame cancelled their rivalry with Nebraska, and began their long-standing tradition of playing USC in our place. They didn't play us again until we were terrible in the 40's. I think they were scared of loosing.