Pelini's temper

np_husker

Sorry but if you don't like watching Pelini's temper than don't watch the game. Our fans have harped all season long about Cottons coaching ability with the lineman and now the playcalling with Watson. Bo has noticed this to and is getting on their asses for not performing where we should be. Bo got our defense back to the way they should be and now the offense needs a huge boost and Bo sees this and is trying to fix it.

The only thing that matters is that we're 7-3 and playing with more intensity and more heart than we did for 4 years under Billy Boy and thats because of Bo's coaching ability.

One thing that I've noticed with Bo this year is he'll give the assistants and/or referees a ear full and then he'll walk away all calm like nothing happened.

I'm sure this won't win me any friends on this board, but...

Pelini's outbursts on the sideline are boorish and serve no purpose. Does he really think making fools of his assistants and players on national TV does anything positive? It doesn't. Come on, you're a highly paid coach at a major college, show some class.

I'm not taking anything away from his coaching and what he has done with the team in the past two seasons. I think he will end up being a great coach, but watch the temper.

i seem to recall some guy named Devaney being of similar similar character.........

just because we have had the blessing that is TO doesn't mean we should badger Bo for being Bo. we can't hold him to TO's high standard.

Go back through all the stories former huskers in the day still tell of devaney and i'm sure you will see many similarities between the two.

so my point being this kind of temperament built us into a national power, and in my opinion, restore us to that level. so leave the man alone and let him coach our best Defense since the 90's.

Mangino probably did it more than Bo today, you just can't tell because his mouth accounts for such a little proportion of him.

i laugh when i see mangino blow his top. i just envision him screaming like fat basterd from "austin powers".

seriously, just picture him getting into a player's grill and shouting, "GET IN MAH BELLY!!!" and try not to laugh.

I think he is doing a better job, but he still has work to do on it.

These are big boys, I am sure Cotton and Watson have heard it before.

And if these players can not handle it so be it. We send 18 year olds to the military and trust me they hear a heck of lot worse on a daily basis. If they can not handle it, they do not need to be here.

My only concern was his attacks on the game officials. He is doing better at that. That is a trait that can hurt us I think.

He is fine, he just needs to keep working on when and where he goes off.

Mangino probably did it more than Bo today, you just can't tell because his mouth accounts for such a little proportion of him.

i laugh when i see mangino blow his top. i just envision him screaming like fat basterd from "austin powers".

seriously, just picture him getting into a player's grill and shouting, "GET IN MAH BELLY!!!" and try not to laugh.

Like this

I think he is doing a better job, but he still has work to do on it.

These are big boys, I am sure Cotton and Watson have heard it before.

And if these players can not handle it so be it. We send 18 year olds to the military and trust me they hear a heck of lot worse on a daily basis. If they can not handle it, they do not need to be here.

My only concern was his attacks on the game officials. He is doing better at that. That is a trait that can hurt us I think.

He is fine, he just needs to keep working on when and where he goes off.

The stupid officials of this game today need a hellofa lot worse than that.

In my opinion the best leaders are calm and assertive. Pelini is acting like Cotton either doesn't see a problem or is too lazy to correct it, which of course is absurd. If he can't fix the problem, then fine, we need a new line coach, but dressing him down on national tv, as others have pointed out, is completely counter productive. In the moments after the "incident" do you think he is thinking about the game or about what a jerk his boss is? I would assume the latter. I really respect Pelini but, IMO, he has to fix this.

I am sure Barney's wife is going to call Bo and explain that he really hurt Barney's feelings by doing that.

OR :dumdum

Cotton will take his chewin and pass it on down the line to the player who committed the foul. This is Football they are not working at the UN doing peace treaties. This happens all over football fields, coaches going off on players, coaches, and refs. It is good tv these days to show these blowups, but I seriously doubt Pelini's staff is concerned about it and they are "Moving on to next weeks game."

I think when things go wrong or when things are on the line I want my leader to be calm (intense is fine) and giving clear instructions, not freaking out. I think losing control of one's emotions shows a lack of leadership (of course it can happen but with Pelini it is excessive). Butt chewings are for "after action" and are inappropriate for the heat of battle. The exception would be for motivational issues, but that generally takes care of itself unless you hired or recruited the wrong people. I think you can yell and scream and pull your hair out and make it work for a while, but it is unsustainable in the long run. He will lose assistants and gain a reputation of someone that is hard to work with. That being said, I can only guess what Bo is saying. Maybe he is giving clear instructions and just happens to have a angry look on his face.

There is a difference to passion and bullying. I think his anger is unacceptable, the only thing that redeems him, regarding anger, is that I think he is probably hardest on himself. However, I do not see how yelling at Cotton helps the line play better.

Bullying? Oh, please...My old high school coach's temper makes Pelini's outbursts look like a Sunday confessional.

Ever do up-downs in a sand bur patch practice field the next day for committing a penalty on game night?

:yeah

You want mean, travel back to '94 with me and sit on the sidelines during one of my high school practices. By comparison, Bo's a freakin saint.