Pelini's temper

np_husker

"um excuse me....excuse me....coach cotton sir. That tripping penalty...um no disrepect here but can you talk to that fine young man and politely, POLITELY ask him to stop. Oh wait coach remember he's just a kid with an eggshell ego so be gentle. Here...here's an extra tissue in case he cries."

That's what I love about the internet, it's either one or the other, black or white, democrat or republican, chevy or ford, stratocaster or les paul, the beetles or the rolling stones...is there no room for something in between?

Of course.

Which is why I still maintain Nebraska should have hired Turbo Gillini

If any of you have had any studied or training into multiple intelligences you would know that not all people are the same type of learner.

Also, many of you are talking about leaders like you would a manager in an office. Completely different than a football coach.

When Cotton is yelled at, it does motivate those lineman. It does because they love the man and hate to see him get his ass chewed because of their mistake. They will then work harder to try to stop that from happening in the future. I can't believe we have people mad because a HC yelled at an assistant. Not even a player, it was an assistant coach.

Bo holds people accountable for what they do whether it's a coach or a player. Some of you that are uncomfortable with that because that is the way our country is run. No one is ever held accountable for Sh*t. I didn't see anyone pointing out that Bo threw a few compliments to his offense in the postgame comments. I guess we just overlook those.

I'm not sure I was making a blanket statement. I think my post is pretty clear in that I described what I want in a leader. Of course different people respond to different leadership styles. However, I've seen them all and I have an idea of what works best in my opinion. By far, the most impressive leaders are those who can motivate and get the job done without throwing tantrums and losing their cool (to be perfectly clear, no one is perfect). My point, and maybe I didn't make it clearly, is that Pelini goes too far, especially when he calls out his assistants in front of "the troops". Of course you have to get people's attention at times. Pelini does show a lot of great leadership in how he is accountable and how he makes his assistants accountable. There is a clear chain of command. That part is spot on. Realistically, no one is perfect, of course the more intense people may tend to be more likely to lose their temper. This is something that he needs to work on in my opinion. Also, I think we may not be as far off in our opinions as you think. When I say calm I'm not saying he should be picking daisies and whistling dixie*. What I am saying is that good decisions are not made when you are thinking irrationally, which happens when you totally lose your temper.

(*the right word is assertive)

You say you're not making a blanket statement, then follow it up with the line in bold. What is that if not a blanket statement?

Again, there have been very effective leaders who were calm and rational in the face of adversity, and there have been very effective leaders who blew their top when it hit the fan. Bo is who Bo is. You're not going to change him beyond toning it down a notch or two, so worrying about it isn't doing anyone any good.

Wow, at least those of us that were or are in the military know that the OP could never hack it. If you think Bo is bad, try a Marine Corps DI, he'll make Bo look like a cuddly little kitten. You don't like it and yet the majority of fans do, guess that says a lot my friend. Apparently you've never played high school or higher sports because Bo does nothing that other coaches don't do. Hell, I played Div 1 soccer and i've been yelled at plenty more than what i've seen Bo do to his coaches and players.

We enjoy your opinion and whiney as it may be, and i'll be damned if I don't call you out on it, but expect others not to share that same opinion.

As for BillyBall man you sure you don't need a new tampon? Seemed like you had some vaginal irritance in your comment.

I'm not sure I was making a blanket statement. I think my post is pretty clear in that I described what I want in a leader. Of course different people respond to different leadership styles. However, I've seen them all and I have an idea of what works best in my opinion. By far, the most impressive leaders are those who can motivate and get the job done without throwing tantrums and losing their cool (to be perfectly clear, no one is perfect). My point, and maybe I didn't make it clearly, is that Pelini goes too far, especially when he calls out his assistants in front of "the troops". Of course you have to get people's attention at times. Pelini does show a lot of great leadership in how he is accountable and how he makes his assistants accountable. There is a clear chain of command. That part is spot on. Realistically, no one is perfect, of course the more intense people may tend to be more likely to lose their temper. This is something that he needs to work on in my opinion. Also, I think we may not be as far off in our opinions as you think. When I say calm I'm not saying he should be picking daisies and whistling dixie*. What I am saying is that good decisions are not made when you are thinking irrationally, which happens when you totally lose your temper.

(*the right word is assertive)

You say you're not making a blanket statement, then follow it up with the line in bold. What is that if not a blanket statement?

Again, there have been very effective leaders who were calm and rational in the face of adversity, and there have been very effective leaders who blew their top when it hit the fan. Bo is who Bo is. You're not going to change him beyond toning it down a notch or two, so worrying about it isn't doing anyone any good.

Call it a blanket statement if you want. My opinion, based on my experience, is that blowing your top with blow up in your face eventually.

By the way, Ghegis Khan got poisoned by his assistant coach, Ceasar got backstabbed by his athletic director, Napoleon? please, he was ok in the regular season by got woodshedded in the BCS bowl...who else did you mention? Grant? His success was before scholorship limits, his rival, Lee, was a much better gameday coach. I'll give you Patton, he made it work even after pissing everyone off.

BTW, I'm certainly not worrying about it and I'm damn sure Bo isn't either. Just an opinion.

Wow, at least those of us that were or are in the military know that the OP could never hack it. If you think Bo is bad, try a Marine Corps DI, he'll make Bo look like a cuddly little kitten. You don't like it and yet the majority of fans do, guess that says a lot my friend. Apparently you've never played high school or higher sports because Bo does nothing that other coaches don't do. Hell, I played Div 1 soccer and i've been yelled at plenty more than what i've seen Bo do to his coaches and players.

We enjoy your opinion and whiney as it may be, and i'll be damned if I don't call you out on it, but expect others not to share that same opinion.

As for BillyBall man you sure you don't need a new tampon? Seemed like you had some vaginal irritance in your comment.

Sorry dude, I did six years in the Corps so that don't fly with me. Calling out subordinates in front of other subordinates above the non-rate level is a pretty big deal, certainly not something you do on a whim.

My opinion, based on my experience, is that blowing your top with blow up in your face eventually.

Your anecdotal experience doth not a trend make. My anecdotal experience with jagermeister is that whenever I drink it, I hurl uncontrollably. So nobody should drink jager because it'll make you hurl.

Doesn't work that way.

My opinion, based on my experience, is that blowing your top with blow up in your face eventually.

Your anecdotal experience doth not a trend make. My anecdotal experience with jagermeister is that whenever I drink it, I hurl uncontrollably. So nobody should drink jager because it'll make you hurl.

Doesn't work that way.

I don't know what you're doing here but I'm hanging out giving my opinion which (based on anecdotal evidence), which I think is what most people are doing. I cannot give you a research paper with citations at this point. I can see I've struck a nerve with a few people, and, obviously some didn't read all my posts (which I wouldn't expect them to do). To sum up my OPINION:

Calm assertive leadership is the ideal because that is how good decisions are made in the heat of battle. No doubt sometimes a calm assertive leader will lose his temper, that's part of the deal. Problems with motivation and poor performance can be dealt with by "fear" or "anger" after action but it is of little use in the heat of battle because the troops/player are scared, tired, frustrated, or whatever. What they need are clear instructions on how to proceed. If they are not motivated at that point, the leader failed to prepare them correctly. It sounds like some of you have had a good experience with a coach with a short fuse, that's fine I'm not doubting you. In my experience, calm assertive leadership has been much more successful in my life in high pressure situations (football, the USMC, kickboxing, work). Good luck to all.

I think everyone gets your opinion. Not everyone agrees with it. :)

That's cool, we're not all going to agree. It's not like we're curing cancer here, so no big deal.

Good discussion. Agree with you or not, it's good to find another person who can discuss things rationally and present a good position without rancor. I really hope you stick around. :thumbs

Doesn't work that way.

I don't know what you're doing here but I'm hanging out giving my opinion which (based on anecdotal evidence), which I think is what most people are doing. I cannot give you a research paper with citations at this point. I can see I've struck a nerve with a few people, and, obviously some didn't read all my posts (which I wouldn't expect them to do). To sum up my OPINION:

Calm assertive leadership is the ideal because that is how good decisions are made in the heat of battle. No doubt sometimes a calm assertive leader will lose his temper, that's part of the deal. Problems with motivation and poor performance can be dealt with by "fear" or "anger" after action but it is of little use in the heat of battle because the troops/player are scared, tired, frustrated, or whatever. What they need are clear instructions on how to proceed. If they are not motivated at that point, the leader failed to prepare them correctly. It sounds like some of you have had a good experience with a coach with a short fuse, that's fine I'm not doubting you. In my experience, calm assertive leadership has been much more successful in my life in high pressure situations (football, the USMC, kickboxing, work). Good luck to all.

major difference, sir. The heat of battle as you put it is an actual war. LIVES ARE ON THE LINE. You can't be emotional because bullets will hit you if you dive right into battle.

Football is not a war. Emotion, especially for a defense, is key. I will say what Bo does on the sideline is paltry compared to many across the country. Ever watched Spurrier? Saban? Carroll? Stoops? Meyer? Leach? Nutt? Bobby Knight? Chuck Daly? Pat Riley? Parcels? Switzer? Hell even Paterno in his 80s chews his assistants ass on TV.

I could keep going, but the point is the stoic coach who is successful is the exception, not the norm.

Your anecdotal evidence is completely unrelated because it is from a different world than a football field.

I think everyone gets your opinion. Not everyone agrees with it. :)

That's cool, we're not all going to agree. It's not like we're curing cancer here, so no big deal.

Good discussion. Agree with you or not, it's good to find another person who can discuss things rationally and present a good position without rancor. I really hope you stick around. :thumbs

Thanks, and I agree, its a good discussion.