SIGNED LB Lavonte David

This kid was a 2 star in high school, I wonder if that was due to his grades or his size. I really have no clue if grades effect the rating system at all. It is great to see that he has worked hard to reach his goals and hopefully he keeps working hard in that classroom too.

They don't factor in much if at all. The star of Mizzou's class last year, Sheldon Richardson, 5 star DT, was the number 5 ranked player in the nation. Dude didn't even step on campus. Went JUCO route.

This kid was a 2 star in high school, I wonder if that was due to his grades or his size. I really have no clue if grades effect the rating system at all. It is great to see that he has worked hard to reach his goals and hopefully he keeps working hard in that classroom too.

They don't factor in much if at all. The star of Mizzou's class last year, Sheldon Richardson, 5 star DT, was the number 5 ranked player in the nation. Dude didn't even step on campus. Went JUCO route.

Thanks!

Seems like he has the size and speed to be a strong saftey as well if we don't land coop... Can he cover?

I'm not sure we need him to play as a pure "Safety" because we have Rickey Thenarse, PJ Smith, and I assume Hagg will move back to Safety, so maybe Lavonte can replace Haggs position now which is kind of a hybrid Safety/LB/DB

i would say gomes played that hybrid more then hagg

Seems like he has the size and speed to be a strong saftey as well if we don't land coop... Can he cover?

I'm not sure we need him to play as a pure "Safety" because we have Rickey Thenarse, PJ Smith, and I assume Hagg will move back to Safety, so maybe Lavonte can replace Haggs position now which is kind of a hybrid Safety/LB/DB

i would say gomes played that hybrid more then hagg

hagg, the nickel, played more than gomes, the dime. both lined up over the slot and acted like small, fast outside linebackers. hagg seemed better at run support and blitzes and gomes better in coverage. it will be interesting to see what our nickel package looks like next year. regardless of hagg's move to safety, he's awfully good at nickel and i have to wonder if he gets the starting FS job if we wouldn't slide him over to nickel and bring in someone else (gomes?) at FS when we go to 5 DB's. in any case, if sanders can coach up our new safeties as well as he did the last pair, we should be looking at another stellar backfield.

now, let's just hope prince doesn't get any thoughts about going pro.

It will be interesting to see if we continue to spend more time in dime than base-defense. Gomes was more of a starter than Fisher or Compton during the conference-sched.

Yeah no kidding. Didn't LaVonte say that would be his role as well - nickel back?

How good was Gomes this year? He amazed me....hell of a job!!

I took it as LaVonte saying he'd be the LB in the nickel and dime. Basically playing Dillard's role from this year.