What do we do with our offense during the next 3 weeks?

beanman

I posed this question earlier but it was lost in the mix of we got robbed/Suh for heisman threads. Should we change anything at this point since we have 3 weeks to work on it or should we just keep the vanilla thing going and try to work on the offensive line? I don't see anything changing with the QB situation. Maybe some trick plays? Can we disguise some NFL players in our uniforms? What the hell do we do? These close games are taking years off my life.

i think they do have talent on the offence. they just need to know they can play and throw the ball to someone other than niles, and we do have tightends. i was happy to see 2 tail backs in there for a play last night the play action to dontravis while he was lined up at full back . got like 3 yrs then they never tryed anything like that again. any wrinkels always help.

sorry i suck at spelling

1) As much as I love to see Suh lined up in the offense, it's pretty obvious where the ball carrier is going (Right behind Suh) whenever he's in, he's popular enough now that it won't work anymore (Though the House of Spearks could still be crushing if used correctly, but I'd rather have him rested up to crush the Arizona QB)

2) Don't worry about a HUGE playbook, come up with about 10 plays that we can run good, and then practice them, practice them, practice them, I'm thinking 1 or 2 Power runs (From the I or similar) 1 or 2 outside runs, 1 or 2 short passes (Use those TE's!) and 1 long pass with several different routes and a run option.

3) STOP RUNNING THE OPTION - WE CAN'T DO IT

4) COME UP WITH SOMETHING ELSE TO DO ON 3RD AND LONG BESIDES "Zac drops back...tucks it...runs....and is brought down at the line of scrimmage"

My $0.02

We have to stop being so predictible. All we did last night was run it up the middle or pass deep. We need to use a lot more of the playbook and mix in whos gonna be on the firld for certain plays to trick arizona. We could have Helu and Burkhead in the same play and go wildcat on those wildcats.

As I have been saying all along there is a difference between being predictable and being yourself. The teams of the Osborne era, they were themselves. We..well, we are predictable.

We can't run what we want, because we can't execute it. We can't be anything we want, because anything we want right now is too daunting for this offense to handle. I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Wats and Cotton, who appear to be most outlets of aggression. But I will say this, everything they are doing appears to be wrong. How a team simplifies and STILL can't score points boggles my mind.

Running the football is one of the easiest things for an offensive lineman to do, and it's one of their more favorite things to do. Who has become our best run-blocker? Ricky Henry. Who was our worst pass blocker? Ricky Henry. The point I make with this is that we have such a plethora of skill levels on the offensive line that they can't do anything the right way consistently. Even Hickman, who I thought would be a big time player this year, has had a rather average season. I liked what Caputo did in his limited game time a lot more than what Hickman did over the whole year.

Our offense lacks the confidence and will power that the defense of '07 lacked. Find a way to fix it, or find a new school. They guys have one year imho. If the line still stinks and the offense is still averaging 24 ppg come December of next year, there will be changes on the coaching front, even if Wats has a good resume.