Arizona won't be a walk in the park

I was listening to the radio here in kc talk about this game and they their expert said Pelini and stoops may brawl at halftime....then they talked about who would win. They decided Bo and that Carl would probably take him out with a chair. (they had just finished discussing the whole...in the tunnel yelling at Texass thing)

LMAO.

Before I begin, congrats on a good season Huskers! We're pumped for a rematch against you guys. We're still a little bummed about being 1 play away from being in the Rose Bowl, but next year is supposed to be OUR year anyways so the Holiday Bowl is a great get for us this year.

Before you guys start predicting a dominating performance by your Nebraska team over Arizona, you might want to take an objective look at how the two teams really match up, who they played and beat this year, and both teams strengths and weaknesses.

First off: For all of you who think that you will crush us and that we are a weaker opponent than Oregon State or Stanford, you must remember 2 things: 1) Your offense is absolutely terrible. You will be playing the 20th best Defense in the country with the best Secondary in the Pac 10 and top 10 in the nation. We have the conference's sack leader on our team with 11.5 sacks, and a front 4 that constantly pressures quarterbacks with very little blitzing. Zach Lee will be throwing against 7 or 8 defenders covering 3 or 4 receivers on almost every play. Not easy. We also beat Standford and Oregon State; two teams you think are superior to Arizona.

Secondly: Arizona will be an offense very similar to Texas Tech's. We are not a smash mouth team, nor a pro-style offense like Texas (which you guys perform better against on D). Our spread offense will minimize the effect Suh has on the game because our all-Conference QB Foles gets rid of the ball very quickly on WR screen's, hitches, outs, and slants.

Finally: Arizona beat USC at their place, we beat Oregon State at their place, and beat Stanford at home. Not to mention 2 fluke plays that cost us two close losses. And taking Oregon to double overtime. We also crushed a 1 loss highly ranked Central Michigan team. All of this in the top-ranked conference in the country. We have the nation's 9th toughest schedule and won 8 of those games.

If I were you, I would take Arizona a little more seriously than it sounds like you are.

Good luck and safe travels to the Holiday Bowl.

Thanks for the advice, though I've seen Arizona boards that the majority of members think that it'll be a cakewalk in your favor.... <_<

Before I begin, congrats on a good season Huskers! We're pumped for a rematch against you guys. We're still a little bummed about being 1 play away from being in the Rose Bowl, but next year is supposed to be OUR year anyways so the Holiday Bowl is a great get for us this year.

Before you guys start predicting a dominating performance by your Nebraska team over Arizona, you might want to take an objective look at how the two teams really match up, who they played and beat this year, and both teams strengths and weaknesses.

First off: For all of you who think that you will crush us and that we are a weaker opponent than Oregon State or Stanford, you must remember 2 things: 1) Your offense is absolutely terrible. You will be playing the 20th best Defense in the country with the best Secondary in the Pac 10 and top 10 in the nation. We have the conference's sack leader on our team with 11.5 sacks, and a front 4 that constantly pressures quarterbacks with very little blitzing. Zach Lee will be throwing against 7 or 8 defenders covering 3 or 4 receivers on almost every play. Not easy. We also beat Standford and Oregon State; two teams you think are superior to Arizona.

Secondly: Arizona will be an offense very similar to Texas Tech's. We are not a smash mouth team, nor a pro-style offense like Texas (which you guys perform better against on D). Our spread offense will minimize the effect Suh has on the game because our all-Conference QB Foles gets rid of the ball very quickly on WR screen's, hitches, outs, and slants.

Finally: Arizona beat USC at their place, we beat Oregon State at their place, and beat Stanford at home. Not to mention 2 fluke plays that cost us two close losses. And taking Oregon to double overtime. We also crushed a 1 loss highly ranked Central Michigan team. All of this in the top-ranked conference in the country. We have the nation's 9th toughest schedule and won 8 of those games.

If I were you, I would take Arizona a little more seriously than it sounds like you are.

Welcome to the board! As far as overlooking Arizona, I think you can see by the 40 responses or so that few Husker Fans are going to do that. I don't think Husker Fans are ready to focus on the Bowl Game yet, I would hope you would understand after the Big XII CCG.

As far as the match up with your team, I really think this will be a great game. I agree your defense is pretty stout, 21st in Total D and 22nd in Rushing D, but I think it is interesting that in the statistic that really matters, Scoring D, your team is average at 46th Nationally. NU needs to run the ball to be successful and Arizona is good against the run so this isn't a good match up for NU.

Looking at the Blackshirts against the Arizona Offense is kind of tough. On one hand it is really hard to explain just how good the Blackshirts really are, but I will start by saying #2 Scoring Defense Nationally. I think you are confused by what teams NU matches up well against. The Blackshirts are built to stop the Spread O as that is all the Big XII has basically, this plays right into what NU does. The Blackshirt Base D is listed as 4-3, but you might as well say that the Nickle Package, and maybe even the Dime Package, are the true base sets. NU had the best games against Spread Teams, such as Texas, despite your claim is actually NOT a power team and almost always has 4 WR's on the field, Missouri, Texas Tech, etc. I know that Texas Tech had 31 points but 7 came off of a fumble return for a TD. TT's first drive should have been stopped twice but for a lucky catch on a ball the DB tipped away and an incredible throw and catch. NU didn't punch in several drives in that game. Overall though TT was held to just 259 yards, easily their lowest total Offensive output in a long long time.

One thing that I think NU fans are overestimating though is what the NU D-Line can do in sacking the QB. NU is 3rd in the Nation in Sacks per Game, but Arizona is 10th in Sacks Allowed giving up fewer than 1 a game on average. NU's defensive scheme against Spread Teams is predicated on getting pressure with 4 Down Linemen and then throwing all sorts of combo coverages with 5-7 DB's.

Statistically the strength of opponents for both teams is nearly identical. It should be a great game.

Arizona had the second best run defense in the Pac-10 this year. This is in a conference with Toby Gerhart, Jacquizz Rodgers, LaMichael James, Jeremiah Masoli, Joe McKnightm etc. I know Nebraska runs the ball a lot, but the run D has been solid. The AZ secondary is also a concern for the Huskers because they are fast when it comes to run help.

This is what really scares me about this game, however overall Arizona only played 4 Rushing Offenses that rank in the Top 40 Nationally and the overall average ranking of the Rushing Offenses Arizona faced is 62. Those teams are Oregon (6th), Stanford (11th), California (37th), and USC (39th). It will be interesting to see if the Husker O-Line can get rushing yards consistently.

OMG they did nothing all day against putrid USC and ended up winning on a fluke play blown coverage...LMAO

vs McCoy - 9 sacks

vs Foles - 90 sacks

Pelini elects to punt on every first down. Huskers win 24-0 behind SUH's 12 safeties

See my comment about how good Arizona is in not giving up sacks.

Welcome to the board! As far as overlooking Arizona, I think you can see by the 40 responses or so that few Husker Fans are going to do that. I don't think Husker Fans are ready to focus on the Bowl Game yet, I would hope you would understand after the Big XII CCG.

As far as the match up with your team, I really think this will be a great game. I agree your defense is pretty stout, 21st in Total D and 22nd in Rushing D, but I think it is interesting that in the statistic that really matters, Scoring D, your team is average at 46th Nationally. NU needs to run the ball to be successful and Arizona is good against the run so this isn't a good match up for NU.

Looking at the Blackshirts against the Arizona Offense is kind of tough. On one hand it is really hard to explain just how good the Blackshirts really are, but I will start by saying #2 Scoring Defense Nationally. I think you are confused by what teams NU matches up well against. The Blackshirts are built to stop the Spread O as that is all the Big XII has basically, this plays right into what NU does. The Blackshirt Base D is listed as 4-3, but you might as well say that the Nickle Package, and maybe even the Dime Package, are the true base sets. NU had the best games against Spread Teams, such as Texas, despite your claim is actually NOT a power team and almost always has 4 WR's on the field, Missouri, Texas Tech, etc. I know that Texas Tech had 31 points but 7 came off of a fumble return for a TD. TT's first drive should have been stopped twice but for a lucky catch on a ball the DB tipped away and an incredible throw and catch. NU didn't punch in several drives in that game. Overall though TT was held to just 259 yards, easily their lowest total Offensive output in a long long time.

One thing that I think NU fans are overestimating though is what the NU D-Line can do in sacking the QB. NU is 3rd in the Nation in Sacks per Game, but Arizona is 10th in Sacks Allowed giving up fewer than 1 a game on average. NU's defensive scheme against Spread Teams is predicated on getting pressure with 4 Down Linemen and then throwing all sorts of combo coverages with 5-7 DB's.

Statistically the strength of opponents for both teams is nearly identical. It should be a great game.

Arizona had the second best run defense in the Pac-10 this year. This is in a conference with Toby Gerhart, Jacquizz Rodgers, LaMichael James, Jeremiah Masoli, Joe McKnightm etc. I know Nebraska runs the ball a lot, but the run D has been solid. The AZ secondary is also a concern for the Huskers because they are fast when it comes to run help.

This is what really scares me about this game, however overall Arizona only played 4 Rushing Offenses that rank in the Top 40 Nationally and the overall average ranking of the Rushing Offenses Arizona faced is 62. Those teams are Oregon (6th), Stanford (11th), California (37th), and USC (39th). It will be interesting to see if the Husker O-Line can get rushing yards consistently.

OMG they did nothing all day against putrid USC and ended up winning on a fluke play blown coverage...LMAO

vs McCoy - 9 sacks

vs Foles - 90 sacks

Pelini elects to punt on every first down. Huskers win 24-0 behind SUH's 12 safeties

See my comment about how good Arizona is in not giving up sacks.

Sure...against Central Michigan, Northern Arizona and the Pac10. most of the pac10 would not sniff the top half of the sun belt

I agree, Zona should not be taken lightly, but Zona also has not faced a D like ours before. Pac 10 does not even have a D in the top 20. And out passing D is as good or better than ASU, who seemed to give Foley fits.