QB in Holiday Bowl

HANC

so the early consensus is that they both play. as in cody green gets 1 series backed up near his own goal line, most likely fails to gain a 1st down, and Zac "the man" Lee comes right back in? do i have this right?

Don't forget that Zac gets put in when we are on our own 10 yard line to throw an easy pass for a TD to look like a hero.

It's all scripted.

It's pretty damn pathetic if your special teams can give your offense a gift-wrapped TD by starting on the 10 yd line and end up losing a yard in the series and having to settle for 3. Something needs to be fixed or this could get ugly. We are already starting to lose offensive recruits due to our severe lack of offense.

LINK

I don't think you can count this as Green "playing" in the Texas game. I believe the series was a throw away by the coaches. All they wanted to do was get the ball far enough out to punt without the risk of a turnover. If Suh could take a snap from center, they would have had him play QB in that situation.

You knoe what?? I think lee is a good qb at times.How ever watson and his offience must go lol. I say that because LEE makes a better running qb then a passing one. I mean it was late in the 4th against texas and they ran a qb keeper option like and he ran like 17 yards or something, iam like where was this at all game?

But like i said hes a hella good runner and the faster watson goes the faster the next OC will see that dude can run thoe and so can GREEN :nanalama

Lee may start this game, possibly just because he carried us this far and the coaches may have a misplaced sense of justice in giving him the hollow honor of starting. That said, Green gets substantial playing time. Lee will not be the starter next year. I feel for the guy, I don't think he lack of success was for lack of effort or heart.

BTW - don't remember which game it was, but they did a close up of Lee's parents sitting in the stands a couple times. We did actually score a touchdown in whatever game this was (so this narrows it down), but neither of his parents even cracked a smile. They sat there stoic, like lifeless statues. I bet the Lee family hates Nebraska....

BTW - don't remember which game it was, but they did a close up of Lee's parents sitting in the stands a couple times. We did actually score a touchdown in whatever game this was (so this narrows it down), but neither of his parents even cracked a smile. They sat there stoic, like lifeless statues. I bet the Lee family hates Nebraska....

Pretty sure you're talking about the Oklahoma game where Lee took a pounding. Coincidentally, they only showed his parents after he took a particularly vicious hit. I wouldn't be smiling if that was my kid, either.

Lee.

There is WAY that Green can be worse.

If we start Green we will be running the ball 85% of the time. We may do so regardless but the times we throw, he can't be counted on to make a play through the air. Lee at least gives us a prayer in that department right now.

Lee was 5 for 19 with THREE picks against Texas. How does Lee give us a prayer in the passing department??? :dunno

Lee.

There is WAY that Green can be worse.

If we start Green we will be running the ball 85% of the time. We may do so regardless but the times we throw, he can't be counted on to make a play through the air. Lee at least gives us a prayer in that department right now.

Lee was 5 for 19 with THREE picks against Texas. How does Lee give us a prayer in the passing department??? :dunno

Texas was the hardest defense we faced all year. While Lee brings nothing substantial to the offense, he does minimize turnovers for the most part. I still say start Green, but I admit he has a higher error rate that comes along with him. He has thrown at least four passes in games that should probably have been picked off, so I can see the argument against him. However, without risk there's no reward - I think Lee epitomizes this statement. <_<

Pretty sure you're talking about the Oklahoma game where Lee took a pounding. Coincidentally, they only showed his parents after he took a particularly vicious hit. I wouldn't be smiling if that was my kid, either.

Lee's parents have looked like that in every game. But I think the one Kara was talking about was the K-State game. They looked unhappy the entire time - even when everyone around them was cheering.

As far as the QB, start Green. If it doesn't work out, then go back to Lee's lousy play. But next year, Lee better be the 4th string QB!!

Okay, now that everyone has had 2 days to be pi$$ed, point fingers, break things, etc.....

Serious question for FANS, (knowing that we have zero influence on decision or zero access to practice)

Should Bo use this month of practice to get Cody Green ready to start or at least play 1/2 of the bowl game?

IMO, yes......

If you think that Green "may" be your starter next season, then IMO, you get him ready to play vs Arizona. I understand that the offensive woes aren't all on Zac Lee's shoulders, but how could the offense get any worse with Green at QB. If you are only asking Lee to hand-off, option, and an occassional play-action pass, surely Green can handle that. Let's see how this kid handles a decent/good opponent and help him get ready for next season. Plus, this should really motivate him and Lee to work like crazy. It would give him a little excitement (hope) and force Lee to get better or ride the pine.

** Before anyone who is always looking for "controversy", please don't throw the "Bo knows better than we do" remark out there......we know that....this is an OPINION/DISCUSSION ISSUE.

Cody Green has to get a shot! He has legs and confidence, something that Lee lacks. Honestly Zac Lee could not hit the red side of a barn. Yes, I know there are people out there who want to ride me for calling out a player...But even the Omaha World Herald indirectly points it out. I remember reading an article saying Zac Lees deep balls that were intercepted were extremely off but not costly because they acted as punts. Plain and simple Cody has to get experience. And as far as today article in the World Herald about Watson saying that Zac Lee is quote unquote growing is BS. The kid came from a JuCO. You dont see anyone stating Asante needs to grow and is inexperienced.

Cody Green you get my vote!

Quoting the article:

"I remember reading an article saying Zac Lees deep balls that were intercepted were extremely off but not costly because they acted as punts."

That statement in the article is ridiculous. I have never ever seen a team punt on 1st down. 2 picks were thrown on 1st down each time. Effectively taking away 100% of the upside of the turnover. Punting on 1st gets you beat every time. 6 for 19 and 39 yards gets you beat every time.

CODY GREEN IS THE STARTER. I refer to the other guy as our Ex QB.

Schuhbdoo

Put Green in but rarely have him dropback. He should be doing rollouts and play-action. Beat into his head not to throw picks, if a guy isn't clear tuck and take what you can get. Don't force the passes, be willing to punt, the D will hold. Use the damn TE's.

This is exactly correct.

I spent the better part of this season saying Lee should be our quarterback and that it was the right choice. However, it's become clear that Lee has not progressed through the season, and the argument could be made that he has regressed. If Lee is not capable of moving the offense, we are better off putting Green in now.

There is nothing to play for this season. We have some recruits to impress and it would be nice if we were ranked at the end, but we're not gunning for any kind of title. It costs us nothing at this point to put Green in. If he's the guy we're banking on for the next three years, it's foolish to have burned his redshirt for (by my guesstimate) 86 plays. That's barely more than one game's worth of snaps. We're fools if we burned his shirt for that.

Green should start this game. If he doesn't, he should see significant playing time. If not, this season is a blunder on the part of our staff.

(emphasis mine)

knapplc, I respect you a lot and enjoy reading your posts, but I could not disagree more here.

If only it were as easy as "beat into his head not to throw picks." Or stare down receivers. A QB does not simply decide to throw a pick, or to stare down receivers. They do it because the game is too fast for them, because the defense is too good, because their throws not good enough, and a host of other reasons.

If he's just going to try to tuck and get what he can whenever he doesn't see a clear, easy throw (or what he thinks is one but isn't because he doesn't recognize the D), he may as well just take a knee from the snap. Less yardage lost.

I also wonder if rolling out makes the job easier or harder on Green. It buys time, but he's also throwing on the run. Can he do that at the college level? Lee has done a fine job with the short passes off of rollouts actually.

And the TEs, well, we would use them if he could. I don't think Watson just forgot that McNeil is one of our best players. After all, he was the one who featured him last year and watched the guy breakout. I think opposing defenses know they can take away the TE because they aren't worried about the sacrifice they make in doing so; our WRs and QB don't scare anyone.

Lastly, there is plenty to play for this season. If our coaching staff ever treats a single game as one that doesn't matter, they deserve to be fired. That would be the real blunder.