Suh a Line All His Own

Matt634

losing SUH will hurt, and i will miss watching him play. but i think our 'd' will overall be better. we have a lot of great talent coming back and our line will be great as well. losing SUH is bad, but the line overall will be better because of their experience. it will be stout, we will not have one player as dominant, but we will have a lot of players that will pick up the slack and create an equally stout line. all the good players on the line will be able to replace the one great player. the line played just as good against UT without SUH on the field. they will all have to play better to replace him, but i think they will.

Well I found some of Warren Sapp's 3 year stats....

176 tackles, 19.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 4 fumbles recovered and 5 passes deflected.

Interesting. Now we gotta dig in Suh's total stats for comparison.

Suh's last 3 years

192 tackles, 20.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovered and 15 passes deflected

Not sure if it was intentional or not, but there was no mention of INT's or TD's.

Nonetheless, great stats!

Sorry if someone has posted something like this already...but if Heisman voters would pay attention to comparisons like this I don't think they could realistically say that it doesn't impress them.

NDAMUKONG SUH'S SEASON STATS (from Huskers.com)

82 Total Tackles

23 Tackles For Loss

92 Yards Lost

12 Sacks

77 Yards Lost

24 QB Hurries

1 INT

1 Forced Fumble

10 Pass Breakups

3 Blocked Kicks

Alabama's Starting Front (They list running a 3-4 on rivals.com, but to give them some help this includes their top 4 statistical D-Lineman: Cody, Deadrick, Dareus, Washington) - They are the #1 "TOTAL" defense in the country...

98 Tackles

23.5 Tackles for Loss

91 Yards Lost

9.5 Sacks

65 Yards Lost

10 QB Hurries

0 INT

0 Forced Fumbles

4 Pass Breakups

3 Blocked Kicks

*Terrance Cody...who was supposed to be the next best lineman to Suh in the country, had 25 Tackles, 6 Tackles for loss, ZERO sacks, 0 INT, 1 Pass Breakups, 3 QB HUrries and 2 Blocked kicks.

Yeah I just saw it. I guess we were looking at a couple diff things though. A couple numbers differ but nothing major. At least I broke out what "Mount Cody" did...0 SACKS. Guess that is what a 'traditional' Dlineman is supposed to do...take up a bunch of blockers so the LB's can get the sacks.

So, I did a quick comparison of Suh to the top 4 starters from Bama, Texas, and Florida.

Bama Season Totals:

98 tkl - 23.5 tfl - 9.5 sac - 20 qbh - 5 pbu - 0 int - 1 ff - 3 blk

Texas Season Totals:

112 tkl - 33 tfl - 14 sac - 48 qbh - 5 pbu - 0 int - 1 ff - 0 bkl

Florida Season Totals:

116 tkl - 25.5 tfl - 15.5 sac - 10 qbh - 7 pbu - 0 int - 2 ff - 0 blk

Suh's Season Totals:

82 tkl - 23 tfl - 12 sac - 24 qbh - 10 pbu - 1 int - 1 ff - 3 blk

It's hard to appreciate how dominant a player Suh has been. I tried looking for Sapp's numbers from the 94 season to compare, but I didn't have any luck. Regardless, we just saw one of the greatest performances from a defensive lineman EVER.

Congrats Matt, it looks like your stat lines are getting around. It appears they made there way to doubleextrapoint, and from there where quoted in the comment section of a rivals article about Suh. Good job man, your on your way to being the next Schwab!

John S.

5. Posted by John S. Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:39 pm EST

Matt,

Suh's stats went beyond merely "good." The guys at the Cornhusker blog "Double Extra Point" copied the following comparison from a Husker message board. Suh's stat's were transcendent.

Alabama D-Line

98 Tkl, 23.5 TFL, 9.5 Sk, 20 QBH, 5 PBU, 0 Int, 1 FF, 3 Blk

Florida D-Line

112 Tkl, 33 TFL, 14 Sk, 48 QBH, 5 PBU, 0 Int, 1 FF, 0 Blk

Texas D-Line

116 Tkl, 25.5 TFL, 15.5 Sk, 10 QBH, 7 PBU, 0 Int, 2 FF, 0 Blk

Ndamukong Suh

82 Tkl, 23 TFL, 12 Sk, 24 QBH, 10 PBU, 1 Int, 1 FF, 3 Blk

http://www.doubleextrapoint.com/2009-artic...suh-crewed.html

HuskerNation definitely gets around. I've seen the stats comparison posted several times in various comment sections to Suh articles on the web. Good stuff. I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't win tomorrow night, which is crazy - a few days ago I was happy he was even invited.

--Edit--

I found the Huskerpedia thread doubleextrapoint.com got their stats from: http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=77696

I hope somebody in the real media starts using it tomorrow on award day. It'll be the greatest achievement of my life that no one ever knew about.

Ran a quick google search and the stat comparison has found its way into debates on several different message/comment boards. Some of the post is getting lost in translation though. Many Husker fans are arguing that Suh's line was better or equal to the THREE starters from Alabama. Posters are assuming three because Alabama runs a 3-4 defense. However, to stay consistent regardless of the defensive set, I used the top FOUR leading tacklers from each school's D line.

Alabama: Cody, Dareus, Deaderick, and Washington

Texas: Alexander, Houston, Acho, and Jones

Florida: Howard, Sanders, Cunningham, and Dunlap

If I would have known the legs on this, I would have been clearer in my methodology up front.

I took your stats to another board I frequent. My buddies over there are in Suh's corner - two Florida fans, two Oregon fans, an Oregon State fan, a VT fan... they're all converted. Didn't take much doing, either.

I think there's going to be a pretty big backlash if Suh doesn't win this year. This could forever change the Heisman - or do it in.

I used the stats listed on the team's official website. It's possible, probably likely based on your info, that the school did not update the stats to include all the games. Unlike Alabama and Florida, the Texas official website only listed individual stats in the players bios, which complicated things. I checked them again after your post and still got the same numbers, but I noticed none of them mentioned the CCG.