QB Cameron Newton

Top junior college quarterback Cameron Newton (Brenham, Texas/Blinn College) updated ESPN affiliate Web site OUInsider.com on the latest surrounding his recruitment.

"Talking to Coach Stoops, Coach Heupel and Coach Wilson and all those guys, I have an opportunity to be the man if I commit there," he said. "That is what I want in a school. I want a chance to compete for a starting spot. I don't want anything given to me, because I feel if something is given to you then people won't take you as seriously as if you earned it."

"Oklahoma, North Carolina, Auburn, Mississippi State, Baylor and Arizona," said Newton when asked which schools were still in contention. "But out of those schools, especially with this weekend being as good as it was, Oklahoma is right there in the race. Coach (Bob) Stoops has an excellent coaching staff there, good guys on the team, good personnel and the recruiting class that is coming in is an eye-opener nationally."

"I have had a lot of universities give me a call, but Oklahoma, Mississippi State, North Carolina and Auburn are the top tier of schools in the running right now."

There! That should end all the speculation.

Top junior college quarterback Cameron Newton (Brenham, Texas/Blinn College) updated ESPN affiliate Web site OUInsider.com on the latest surrounding his recruitment.

"Talking to Coach Stoops, Coach Heupel and Coach Wilson and all those guys, I have an opportunity to be the man if I commit there," he said. "That is what I want in a school. I want a chance to compete for a starting spot. I don't want anything given to me, because I feel if something is given to you then people won't take you as seriously as if you earned it."

"Oklahoma, North Carolina, Auburn, Mississippi State, Baylor and Arizona," said Newton when asked which schools were still in contention. "But out of those schools, especially with this weekend being as good as it was, Oklahoma is right there in the race. Coach (Bob) Stoops has an excellent coaching staff there, good guys on the team, good personnel and the recruiting class that is coming in is an eye-opener nationally."

"I have had a lot of universities give me a call, but Oklahoma, Mississippi State, North Carolina and Auburn are the top tier of schools in the running right now."

There! That should end all the speculation.

I didn't want him here, but I'm also very glad that K-State seems to be out of the running.

Strange to me that OU is pushing for a JUCO QB. I thought Landry Jones showed some good potential.

Landry was very inconsistent over the course of the season. I know a ton of Sooner fans who don't have a lot of confidence in him. I'm sure Stoops wants to introduce some competition by bringing in someone to push Landry. Personally, I don't know if Newton will be able to do that.

I think his announcement of a Top 5 is hilarious because KSU fans were all over other NU boards talking smack about being better than NU once Cam arrived at Manhattan. Absolutely hilarious stuff. I think will check out some KSU boards today to see the fall out of this announcement.

:) I think that I will do the same Cave.

But anyways. Im glad to see a kid get a second chance. He made a mistake once and schools around are willing to give him another shot. I hope he makes the most of it.

Said to decide on Dec. 22 between:

Mississippi State

Oklahoma

Auburn

North Carolina

Kansas State

OUInsider quoted him as saying that Arizona and not KSU was in his top 5 with the other 2, quote is listed in a previous post above. Even KSU fans seem convinced on their boards that they aren't getting him.

This guy is a character nightmare! No way do we need this kind of baggage, I don't give a damn how good he is. <_<

I know he was busted stealing while he was at Florida, but what's to say he hasn't turned his life around? Is there something you know that we don't? :dunno

• 2 weeks later...