*Breaking News* Source: Mark Stoops hired as DC at FSU

sarge87

Source: Mark Stoops hired at Florida St.

By Heather Dinich

ESPN.com

Florida State has hired Arizona defensive coordinator Mark Stoops as its next defensive coordinator, according to a source close to the hiring process.

Stoops will replace longtime defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews, who announced his retirement earlier this season after 26 years. Stoops is the first hand-picked coordinator by Jimbo Fisher, who will replace legendary coach Bobby Bowden following the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl.

Stoops, a native of Youngstown, Ohio, was also a top candidate for the head coaching job at Youngstown State. Details of his contract at FSU were not immediately available. Stoops was defensive backs coach at Miami from 2001-2003 before joining his brother Mike's staff at Arizona for the 2004 season.

Stoops joins Tennessee running backs/special teams coach Eddie Gran as Fisher's first two hires.

Fisher has already told four members of the staff they will not be retained: Defensive ends coach Jody Allen, running backs coach Dexter Carter, linebackers coach Chuck Amato and strength coach Todd Stroud. Offensive line coach Rick Trickett interviewed earlier Friday for the head coaching job at Marshall.

Heather Dinich covers the ACC for ESPN.com.

Could have an effect in the bowl if Mark is gone and the O manages to do some things that require good adjustments.

As far as Cooper goes I gotta like our odds. Some position-coach probably gets Arizona's DC job. They could see a drop-off. You can bet your ass our D's will own for years to come.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe FSU pays more than Arizona, but doesn't anyone else think this is a little odd that Mike's brother would leave his program for a lateral move? I'm of the opinion that Mike is on a very short leash at Arizona. If he doesn't do something somewhat spectacular next year, he'll get the boot. I'm guessing Mark sees the handwriting on the wall and is going somewhere where the coaching staff is a little bit more settled.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you don't do that by making a lateral move to a team that is worse than the one you come from. Mike left his brother Bob, but he took a head coaching gig. If Mark were to make a name for himself, he could just as easily do that at Arizona in the Pac 10 as he can in the ACC with Florida State. I believe Arizona had the second rated defense in the Pac 10 this year. Another year or two of doing this and a head coaching offer was sure to come. Now, he goes to a team worse than Arizona with a brand new coach. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would appear Arizona is a lot closer to winning their conference than Florida State is winning their conference.