Class Comparison

I'll be the first to say recruiting matters - you need the right guys for the schemes you run and that kind of thing. But we also just took Texas, probably the most consistently talented and highly rated program in the nation to the wire without a shred of offense. These two classes are so similar that in the end it's what you do with them and how you coach them that matters. As it is with most teams. Get the guys you need, develop them, coach them, teach them, and that's the difference.

I'll be the first to say recruiting matters - you need the right guys for the schemes you run and that kind of thing. But we also just took Texas, probably the most consistently talented and highly rated program in the nation to the wire without a shred of offense. These two classes are so similar that in the end it's what you do with them and how you coach them that matters. As it is with most teams. Get the guys you need, develop them, coach them, teach them, and that's the difference.

Yeah but we also lost to Iowa State. The jury on our team especially without Suh is still out for next year. My take is that we will have to score quite a lot more points in the post-Suh era. We should be good on defense but without the greatest player in College FB, we won't be able to dominate. We need players. We need skill people on O especially. And it would seem that Bo TO and Wats are going to have to get together and see what they are going to run. Wats still saying the spread and Bo and TO have hinted to a power running game. If we are going to get high caliber recruits out of state--on O they are going to want to know what we are going to run.

Concerned isn't how I feel at all. This entire topic is about how our class easily stacks up against the 17th rated class in the country. I just picked MUs class as an example because rivals shot their "ranking" all the way from 40th to 17th after the TG commit and Marcus Murphy commitments last weekend. I trust Bo's hard work in recruiting and our traditions to get us high quality kids every year.

The reason that happened was because prior to this move, Mizzou had like 8 kids who had committed who hadn't been assigned a ranking by rivals. The did a re-ranking this past weekend. Then you add the two new committs and the numbers begin to add up.

Average stars

With Gabbert listed as a 4 star player:

MU- 3.29

NU- 3.24

If you throw Gabbert out of the class

MU-3.26

NU-3.24

and if you throw out a NE 4 star

MU - 3.29

NE - 3.18

i guess i dont get your point :dunno you cant remove players that are commited. I guess if we are removing guys because they commited to others before, you would have some removing to do in your class also. :dunno

I guess i dont understand most of this. Stars are good and class ranks matter when NE is better than others. When NE is not better than others, the class ranks are overrated and we are warned about top 5 class failures. Either the avgs/ranks matter or they dont. IF they do matter than according to the same site that has praised you before, Mu has a better class. What does that mean....nothing really. MU whooped NE when they had classes in the 40's. MU has lost to NE when they had classes in the high 20's.

To me the rankings dont mean much. The players, their ability to grow and learn, excel under coaching, that all matters to me. Getting players to improve your depth and talent matter to me. I could care less what some desk jockey says when puting decimal points on a players potential. But thats just me. To each their own

Average stars

MU- 3.29

NU- 3.24

MU-3.26

NU-3.24

MU - 3.29

NE - 3.18

i guess i dont get your point :dunno you cant remove players that are commited. I guess if we are removing guys because they commited to others before, you would have some removing to do in your class also. :dunno

I guess i dont understand most of this. Stars are good and class ranks matter when NE is better than others. When NE is not better than others, the class ranks are overrated and we are warned about top 5 class failures. Either the avgs/ranks matter or they dont. IF they do matter than according to the same site that has praised you before, Mu has a better class. What does that mean....nothing really. MU whooped NE when they had classes in the 40's. MU has lost to NE when they had classes in the high 20's.

To me the rankings dont mean much. The players, their ability to grow and learn, excel under coaching, that all matters to me. Getting players to improve your depth and talent matter to me. I could care less what some desk jockey says when puting decimal points on a players potential. But thats just me. To each their own

Agreed. I don't buy into the recruiting services hype either. I will get excited about a select few recruits based on media coverage and film . . . but stars seem too hit or miss.

This is just a guess, but i'm thinking EZ-E suggested throwing out Gabbert because MU already has a **** QB. Imagine if we had 3 five star QBs. It'd be great for the QB position, but obviously only one of them can take the field. It's good to have talented players, but when they are bunched up at one position it lessens the effect.

But even if you leave Gabbert and Franklin in, the avg stars are pretty close. This suggests a big difference in the overal rankings between MU and NU has to do with quantity more so than quality. At least according to rivals.

The jury on our team especially without Suh is still out for next year.

It is interesting that 2 players in 3 years that Pelini has coached have both been dubbed "Once in a lifetime players" isnt it?

I must be missing something. Who is the other one besides Suh?

Glenn Dorsey?

The jury on our team especially without Suh is still out for next year.

It is interesting that 2 players in 3 years that Pelini has coached have both been dubbed "Once in a lifetime players" isnt it?

I must be missing something. Who is the other one besides Suh?

Glenn Dorsey?

Yes

This is just a guess, but i'm thinking EZ-E suggested throwing out Gabbert because MU already has a **** QB. Imagine if we had 3 five star QBs. It'd be great for the QB position, but obviously only one of them can take the field. It's good to have talented players, but when they are bunched up at one position it lessens the effect.

But even if you leave Gabbert and Franklin in, the avg stars are pretty close. This suggests a big difference in the overal rankings between MU and NU has to do with quantity more so than quality. At least according to rivals.

:yeah

Plus I was never sold on Tyler being 4 star worthy

Average stars

MU- 3.29

NU- 3.24

MU-3.26

NU-3.24

MU - 3.29

NE - 3.18

Who cares about stars? The hole point of the thread is to look else where.

MU did get both sassar and lucas plus IL commit from KC dexter mcdonald who is a terrific athlete slated to play corner. as for ratings and stars? they are a decent indicator of talent but utah, byu, boise state and tcu have done very well against bcs opponents with classes closer to 100 than 1. when you are dealing with 18 yr olds and their potential many things can happen along the way.

Only time will tell. I would say that MU addressed a lot of needs and have been upgrading it's athleticism all over the field. Still questions on the defensive side as to the coordinator and coaches, they havn't seemed to be as good as their talent. then you have to talk about whether stability and a family atmosphere is more important than going out and bringing the best coaches you can.

If i was a nu fan and I am a part time husker fan since they are in north, would seriously question why bo's guys attracted some top talent and positions of desperate need but failed to hold them. there was a lot of instant pt avialable and that should have been very attractive, yet they went elsewhere. Now adding a few seemingly lesser players and not much quantity, while loading up at positions that seem to be strengths already. If bo had a decent O as you all know, would have won b12 CCG and been playing in bigtime bcs bowl. truly puzzling and would have been grt for north.

Proof on these classes will come in a few years, speculating on who did better now is entertaining in the winter months.