"Home Grown" that went elsewhere

Nova311

Who was that Basketball player from Benson? I think he went to KU.

Are you thinking of the already mentioned Ron Kellogg, from Northwest, who went to KU? Or Cedric Hunter from South? Dave Hoppen went to Benson, but of course went to NU. Maybe someone more recently went to Benson, then KU. I think Hoppen was the first Omahan in a long time that went to NU. They used to all go to Creighton or out of state. It's more of a challenge to name those that stayed.

Did anyone else see Blake Bolle the 6-4 QB out of Lincoln Southwest win the D II Championship with NW Missouri this year?

I can't say I had heard of Bolle before that game, but I would bet money he could have seen playing time at NU this season. I wonder what his story is?

His story is that he was a D2 calibur athlete that went to NW and won a D2 Natl title. :)

Did anyone else see Blake Bolle the 6-4 QB out of Lincoln Southwest win the D II Championship with NW Missouri this year?

I can't say I had heard of Bolle before that game, but I would bet money he could have seen playing time at NU this season. I wonder what his story is?

His story is that he was a D2 calibur athlete that went to NW and won a D2 Natl title. :)

Yeah right. I saw what that kid could do, and he was every bit as talented as the QBs NU put on the field this year. I don't care what level he was playing on, good is good. Example: Danny Woodhead

Yeah right. I saw what that kid could do, and he was every bit as talented as the QBs NU put on the field this year. I don't care what level he was playing on, good is good. Example: Danny Woodhead

I think this kids story is a little different then Danny Woodheads. This kid was Honorable Mention All State his SR year after passing for 800 or so yards and 4 TDs. I also could be wrong but I think he only started one year but lettered 2 years. Danny Woodhead was the Best Player in the State when he played and ended his career as the All Time Leading Rushing in Class A History.

I bet the Northwest Missouri State staff didn't know that this kid would end up being as good as he was this year. That being said everyone knew Woodhead was going to be good.

The QB from NW was also doing it against D2 talent. Not Big 12 talent. His numbers werent as flattering as Woodhead's.

Woodhead flat out killed the d2 talent he saw and was a clear d1 player. The QB from NW was a good D2 player. Not a Big 12 athlete.

I think this kids story is a little different then Danny Woodheads. This kid was Honorable Mention All State his SR year after passing for 800 or so yards and 4 TDs. I also could be wrong but I think he only started one year but lettered 2 years. Danny Woodhead was the Best Player in the State when he played and ended his career as the All Time Leading Rushing in Class A History.

I bet the Northwest Missouri State staff didn't know that this kid would end up being as good as he was this year. That being said everyone knew Woodhead was going to be good.

I would bet they did since he played as a Freshman (unheard of for NWMSU). And played for a few series in every game as a Soph. Which may not seem like much if you didnt know that he was splitting time with a SR QB who was OFF. Player of the year in conference and a D-II All-American.

BTW he threw for 4145 yards and 42 touchdowns. Threw 13 ints and completed about 69.5% of his passes this year. Good enought for the 2nd best Pass Effic. Rating in the country, 4th most passing yards and 2nd most TD's. Kid is a star at the D-II level and clearly one of the best in the country

The QB from NW was also doing it against D2 talent. Not Big 12 talent. His numbers werent as flattering as Woodhead's.

Woodhead flat out killed the d2 talent he saw and was a clear d1 player. The QB from NW was a good D2 player. Not a Big 12 athlete.

Maybe its just me, but Danny Woodhead is not that great. He played in a joke of a conference against joke teams. If he was so hot he would have performed against the better D-II teams. Which he didnt. (16 yrds on 16 carries in a regional final playoff game) Omon played against much better competion in a much, much better confernce and newarly matched every number DW put up. And believe me when I say there have been MUCH better players than Woodhead in D-II. Hell he wasnt even the best player in D-II when he was in school. When he won the Harlin Hill (D-II's Heismen) and there was an up roar in the D-II comminity because he wasnt the best player.

And Ez-E I will fill you in on NWMSU for a quick minute. Every year for the past...7...8...10 years. NW has filled 3/4 of their classes with players that are D-1 caliber. They make their living off taking Grey Shirt and Preferred walk-on kids. Their 3 best offensive players this year are all of that same story. Council, Bolles and Soy. Most of these kids would not have been great dominant players at the next level, but they fill out rosters nicely. And every once in a while you catch a gem that would have been a player no matter what level. There have been quite a few D-II alums that have been stars in the NFL.

Woodhead is talented, but lets not pretend like he would have destroyed it had he played for Nebraska. He most likely would have been a role player. If NW had the DL and LB to punish him all game long and make him totally a non factor, what do you think all those high level D-I kids would have done to him.

I would bet they did since he played as a Freshman (unheard of for NWMSU). And played for a few series in every game as a Soph. Which may not seem like much if you didnt know that he was splitting time with a SR QB who was OFF. Player of the year in conference and a D-II All-American.

BTW he threw for 4145 yards and 42 touchdowns. Threw 13 ints and completed about 69.5% of his passes this year. Good enought for the 2nd best Pass Effic. Rating in the country, 4th most passing yards and 2nd most TD's. Kid is a star at the D-II level and clearly one of the best in the country

He played in 5 games as a Redshirt Freshman which I don’t think is that unheard of at Northwest and as far as “splitting” series with Osborn last year. He played 1 to 2 series a game there was no “splitting” going on. I’m sure he played because they knew they could get away with it and he was the next in line to start so you might as well get him game experience. Also they may have known that he could be good but I doubt it was by watching his High School tape. I bet nobody could have predicted that he would have the year he had this year.

As far as Oman being just as good as Woodhead I will ask, which one gets meaningful carries in the NFL and which one is on a practice squad? What does that mean? Who knows but it appears that it helps the case for Woodhead. (Yes you can compare NFL playing with these two since they played the same position and came from similar levels of school. It isn’t like comparing say Tommie Frazier to Chase Daniel since they were totally different types of players)

FWIW: I’m not arguing that Bolles isn’t good because he is. He is a really good football player. Does that mean he would have been as successful at the D-1 level? Who knows, but as of right now he is what he is which is a Great DII QB.