"Home Grown" that went elsewhere

Nova311

I would bet they did since he played as a Freshman (unheard of for NWMSU). And played for a few series in every game as a Soph. Which may not seem like much if you didnt know that he was splitting time with a SR QB who was OFF. Player of the year in conference and a D-II All-American.

BTW he threw for 4145 yards and 42 touchdowns. Threw 13 ints and completed about 69.5% of his passes this year. Good enought for the 2nd best Pass Effic. Rating in the country, 4th most passing yards and 2nd most TD's. Kid is a star at the D-II level and clearly one of the best in the country

He played in 5 games as a Redshirt Freshman which I don’t think is that unheard of at Northwest and as far as “splitting” series with Osborn last year. He played 1 to 2 series a game there was no “splitting” going on. I’m sure he played because they knew they could get away with it and he was the next in line to start so you might as well get him game experience. Also they may have known that he could be good but I doubt it was by watching his High School tape. I bet nobody could have predicted that he would have the year he had this year.

As far as Oman being just as good as Woodhead I will ask, which one gets meaningful carries in the NFL and which one is on a practice squad? What does that mean? Who knows but it appears that it helps the case for Woodhead. (Yes you can compare NFL playing with these two since they played the same position and came from similar levels of school. It isn’t like comparing say Tommie Frazier to Chase Daniel since they were totally different types of players)

FWIW: I’m not arguing that Bolles isn’t good because he is. He is a really good football player. Does that mean he would have been as successful at the D-1 level? Who knows, but as of right now he is what he is which is a Great DII QB.

I have followed NW since 97. Let me tell you that a freshman playing, RS or not, is very, very, very rare for NW. And for that splitting, it was the first time Mel has ever dont that. He breaks in his new QB's in practice and spring/fall ball. For him to even put Blake into the game while having Joel as a QB speaks to how talented Bolles is.

As far as Woodhead goes. Omon was on the active roster for 1 1/2 years. Danny just got moved up due to injuries this year. You can argue the fact all you want. I grew up with D-II in my back yard. I attended a D-II school. I watched more D-II games than I can count. I called play-by play and color for D-II both in college and as a professional and I have seen both players in person more than once. Omon was the better player in college. What they do in a pro career is still up in the air. WE are talking about 2 backup players who havnt really done anything in the NFL. But as far as college goes. Xavier was the better of the two. No doubt in my mind

Newearthhusker,

Hey buddy, after having a chance to re-read what I wrote it sounds a little more gruff than I meant it too.

Every one is intitled to their opinion and i was just stating how i came to mine. I was not trying to come off like a prick. ( not sure if you read it like that, but i could see why if you did)

D-II is D-II. It is 2 levels below D-I. And i do not get confused about some NW player and how he could roll the big 12. ;) I just have really grown to love it and find that most people who talk down about it have no clue what they are talking about.

Danny was a fine player for Chadron, but when their own media members, their own fans, their own staff comment about how Omon was a step above anything they had seen that says something. Both kids could have played at a bigger level, but truth told, if they had i doubt either would be where they are now.

Newearthhusker,

Hey buddy, after having a chance to re-read what I wrote it sounds a little more gruff than I meant it too.

Every one is intitled to their opinion and i was just stating how i came to mine. I was not trying to come off like a prick. ( not sure if you read it like that, but i could see why if you did)

D-II is D-II. It is 2 levels below D-I. And i do not get confused about some NW player and how he could roll the big 12. ;) I just have really grown to love it and find that most people who talk down about it have no clue what they are talking about.

Danny was a fine player for Chadron, but when their own media members, their own fans, their own staff comment about how Omon was a step above anything they had seen that says something. Both kids could have played at a bigger level, but truth told, if they had i doubt either would be where they are now.

No worries at all. :thumbs I didn’t take it like you were being a prick about it.

I didn’t know that Northwest didn’t play Frosh all that much. Also as far as Woodhead and Omon go I actually got into a little bit with a friend of mine about those two. I was saying how Omon should have won the Harlan Hill instead of Woodhead when he won his second one. I actually think that they both were exceptional talents no matter the Division they played in.

And Ez-E I will fill you in on NWMSU for a quick minute. Every year for the past...7...8...10 years. NW has filled 3/4 of their classes with players that are D-1 caliber. They make their living off taking Grey Shirt and Preferred walk-on kids. Their 3 best offensive players this year are all of that same story. Council, Bolles and Soy. Most of these kids would not have been great dominant players at the next level, but they fill out rosters nicely. And every once in a while you catch a gem that would have been a player no matter what level. There have been quite a few D-II alums that have been stars in the NFL.

I know what NW is about. I know people that play there. But you saying "They make their living off taking Grey Shirt and Preferred walk-on kids." just proves my point that these kids were obviously not worthy of a D1 scholarship let alone a D1 scholarship to a Big 12 school.

You can tell the difference between a HS kid that is being recruited to Big 12 schools, and a kid that is being offered preferred walk-on spots.

And Ez-E I will fill you in on NWMSU for a quick minute. Every year for the past...7...8...10 years. NW has filled 3/4 of their classes with players that are D-1 caliber. They make their living off taking Grey Shirt and Preferred walk-on kids. Their 3 best offensive players this year are all of that same story. Council, Bolles and Soy. Most of these kids would not have been great dominant players at the next level, but they fill out rosters nicely. And every once in a while you catch a gem that would have been a player no matter what level. There have been quite a few D-II alums that have been stars in the NFL.

I know kids that have went up and played for NW. But for you to say that they "make their living off taking Grey Shirt and Preferred walk-on kids." tells me that they were good players, but not worthy of getting an actual D1 scholarship offer; let alone an offer from a Big 12 school.

If NW had the DL and LB to punish him all game long and make him totally a non factor, what do you think all those high level D-I kids would have done to him.

You kind of just proved my point and disproved what you were trying to say in the first paragraph.